Thread: Portable fireplaces

Default Portable fireplaces

Does anyone own one? Is it worth the buy? Do you have to constantly buy oil for it? does it give off a lot of heat?

Default Re: Portable fireplaces

I have one, got it as a Christmas present. It's electric, just plugs intro a standard outlet, so there's no oil involved. We never imagined they would be enery efficient, but then we talked to someone who owned one and he implied that it actually was... anyhoo, I love the look of a fireplace so we got one to use as an occasional treat.

He turned out to be right. Reason being, we can turn off the furnace in its entirety when we go to bed and just turn on the fireplace in the bedroom for heat (and a nice warm glow). Overall, that seems to use a lot less power. Of course, we don't use it every night (and not at all now that it's spring), but it's cute and romantic, so when we do want to use it, we turn down the regular heat to make up for it, and I think we've come out on top in terms of energy. It gives off more than enough heat for one room, and it makes a soothing white noise as it's doing so.

I also like it because you can move it to different rooms at will. (Ours is designed like a wood stove, so it's not as big as some.) This has come in handy when we've had to put up guests in our basement since it's a lot colder down there. Rather than cranking up the furnace to levels that are intolerable elsewhere in the house to make the basement liveable, we can just give them the fireplace to compensate. Again, I think this is probably more efficient when you can consider the overall heat output, and the fact that since the furnace is ten years old and the fireplace is one, there's obviously a difference in efficiency.

In any case, it's basically just a space heater in the design of a fireplace/wood stove. If you like the look and one or more rooms could use a little extra heat, I'd say go for it. I don't find them tacky as they basically look pretty real, just like a regular fireplace. And they will almost certainly fit into your decor better than a regular space heater anyway. Good luck!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

SVZ

that sounds fabulous....i'd be scared of an open flame in my house though

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    that sounds fabulous....i'd be scared of an open flame in my house though

I have fireplaces and wood stoves and as long as you're responsible there's not much danger. I love them and it does save me some gas heating the house in the winter since we have a blower attached to each to send the heat out into the room.

A*O

My ma has a cute little fake 'woodstove' with a clever light/flame effect thingy and an electric fan heater underneath that blows warm air. Even if you just have the flame effect thing going it's amazing how it makes the room 'feel' warmer.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^ Mine's like that, A*O. Not a real flame - though I'd love to have a real one, this house unfortunately doesn't have one.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

CAn I ask where you guys bought yours? I've been looking at home depot and Lowes but, they have mostly outdoor fireplaces

Same here, I believe.

- Kahlil Gibran

I don't want to be too nosy but, what brand did you buy? Since you guys enjoyed your fireplaces so much I thought that maybe I should just get what you guys have.

A*O

Dimplex make several. My mother's is the second one down. As I recall it cost about AU$250.

http://www1.dimplex.com/listproducts.aspx?id=73
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Mine is no longer on the website and I didn't keep the box, but it's similar to this one:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...&storeId=10051

I think mine is a bit smaller and was a little cheaper than that.

- Kahlil Gibran

Thread Information