Default America's Doomed Mansions

America's Doomed Mansions

1 of 16
    Jackling House

Tear Down Mansion: Jackling House

Property Owner: Steve Jobs

Jackling House - Marcelle Sussman Fischler - Forbes

Burning Down Your Windmill

FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Wherever my kids are

From the site (I guess they are saying there is very little respect for the integrity or historical value of these mansions?):

Jackling House

Intending to tear it down and build a new house for his family, Steve Jobs apparently didn't care for the looks or the historical significance of the Jackling House, his 35-room mansion built in the 1920s for Daniel Jackling, a copper mogul. Located in an upscale town that's gone techie, the house had close to 15,000 square feet and was built by George Washington Smith, a well known California architect of his day. After legal hassles that delayed a demolition permit for nearly a decade, the mansion was torn down in February. No plans have been filed to build on the site.

fellow traveller

other than land's end, chetwode and belmeade, most of those are hideous. especially that kitschy castle calvin klein had torn down.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Being Paula

I'd prefer Land's End to be restored rather than flattened but the rest deserve the 'dozer, especially the one that looks like a RHONJ wet dream.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

just another freak in the freak kingdom

Land's End was lovely. I hope they save Belmead.

I liked Jackling House. Many years ago a friend from that area drove me by there. That whole CA 1920s Spanish Colonial revival produced some beautiful homes. Another friend of mine just sold his father's home in the Oakland hills which was much smaller--3 bedrooms--but very much in the same style, built in 1925 as well. We've wondered if it might have been by the same architect, George Washington Smith--who was also responsible for a lot of central Santa Barbara's look and feel--as it is definitely an original, architect-designed house. But we couldn't find any records.

Anyway, the whole Jackling House thing really made me mad. Jobs must've known he wasn't going to make it at that point but he tore it down anyway. It was a pissy thing to do, really.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Thread Information