Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help me with my foyer

Default Help me with my foyer

This is not a picture of my foyer but it is from a house around the corner that is the exact same layout. The foyer is in the center of the house and large. To left is the dining room, to the right is the "visiting room", the front stairs are there and then to the back it goes into the kitchen, family room, etc.

Right now I just have a round table in the center and some artwork on the walls that is in keeping with the Victorian era of the home. I keep fresh flowers there when I am having guests but otherwise it is empty. To give you a better feel for the space, it is large enough for 4 round top tables with seating for 8 at each table.

What can I do to make it feel warm and inviting as soon as people come through the door? I am happy with the curent paint color which is like coffee with 3 creams. LOL

Last edited by sluce; November 4th, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Calling Chalet!!! isn't this her thing? ooh and Novice, of course! I got no ideas, I like it kinda barren and open...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

i want to see a picture of your foyer! pleeeease?

that is a massive space. but also kind of 'wasted' space since it has doors leading off to other rooms all around and you can't really do anything with it other than use it to display art and have a table or something in the middle.
    so i think it's all about the art you have in there. what's on the walls? and does it go well with the paint colour? sometimes you might like a colour but it might not be good with the artwork.
    do you like the table you have in the centre? think of the foyer as your personal art gallery. art galleries are all about what's on the wall, and very little furniture, but what little furniture there is has to stand out. the rocking horse in your neighbour's foyer serves that kind of decorative-but-useless purpose. you need something like that, whether it's a sculpture, an antique. something that stands out and whose only purpose is to look good in that space.
    as for the table, flowers are good but like you said, you don't always have fresh flowers. so for the rest of the time, how about a big bowl or vase, something ceramic or glass but that's awesome and stands out like a work of art? i don't know what your style is but there is a lot of scandinavian or italian glass out there that is incredible, and if you're more into antiques, look into art nouveau ceramics, or antique murano glass.
    or it could also be a collection of smaller objects. my mother has her collection of antique opaline glass (milk glass) on a table near on one side of the foyer, all in shades of blues and greens and a couple of antique pinks, and it definitely stands out.

are there any windows in the foyer?

also, to get an idea of what to suggest, what's your décor 'style'?

just googling i found a couple of interesting things:

http://www.homeworkshop.com/2009/05/...-in-porcelain/
    http://www.modernistglass.com/glassp...art-glass-bowl

vintage murano glass:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5146007_buy-...ss-resale.html
    http://retroartglass.com/store/item/...les_decor.html
    http://retroartglass.com/store/item/...erso_Bowl.html
    Last edited by sputnik; November 4th, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

ok - there are windows in the door and one large window to the side. It gets light but it is somewhat muted by the covered front porch. I will PM you more pics so you get a better feel for the outside of the house too.

I love the table I have right now. It is antique and is similar to this with craved legs and a marble top.

The artwork I have is from a local artist who paints scenes from our town, from the turn of the century when the homes were built. The back wall looks like an art gallery so I am on track to meet your likes. LOL I would like maybe a bench or some type of seating? Maybe a statue of some sort??

The front of the house is more modern Victorian. The back, kitchen and family room, feel more Tuscan. The colors I like most fall towards deep dark reds, dark greens and golds. I do not like blues.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Just a shot in the dark, but I would suggest making it a useable space. It's huge! It certainly, in my opinion, needs a nice rug to break up all that wood. I would probably also place some buffets along each wall, with lamps on the top to give it some accent lighting and soften the space. I would probably use the buffet drawers to store linens, my silver collection or other things that I don't use daily. It also appears large enough to incorporate a small seating area so you can have a place to kick off your shoes as you come into the house (in case it's raining outside or snowing or something). And if I had the money and had the space, I would go ahead and put a baby grand piano in there.

i think you could find something art nouveau-ish of fin-de-siècle to go on that table. or a vintage murano if you find the right one. i think you can mix different styles and it will look good, like how you can pair antique furniture with abstract paintings. maybe the problem is that all your stuff is too much of the same era and same colours? the antique brown table, café au lait walls, the paintings that are of turn-of-the-century homes, etc? maybe you need something to break that up a little?

i like str8's idea of a buffet, but i like the sparseness of the space so i wouldn't put too much in and clutter it up. maybe one big buffet on a wall with a few interesting pieces on top or one lamp or something. and if you have nice floors, no rug.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I was thinking a bench or some sort along the back wall under the artwork. I forgot to say there is a hall tree to the left of the door when you enter. It came with the house. There really is limited wall space except the back wall. To right is the opening to the visiting room and the right opens to the dining room. The walls next to the doors have a large window on one side and the hall tree on the other. I am not sure I could have the center table, a buffet and a seating area. I have built in buffets in the dining room too.

I would never do it, but I have toyed with something like this. LOL

lol i like it, it's kind of kitschy victorian awesome. especially if you light it up.

maybe not the bench (because it does look huge) but you need something 'interesting' in there other than a table and artwork. anything from a sculpture to some weird piece of antique curio like some ancient piece of farm equipment or something, know what i mean?
    some friends of my parents had a giant foyer with beautiful antique wood floors and very high ceilings with white mouldings and the walls were, if i'm remembering correctly, a kind of rust colour but muted, and the only thing in the room was this massive, antique indian door up against a wall. the door didn't lead anywhere, it was like a piece of art, and that room didn't need anything else.

I like the idea of some kind of seating in an entryway just for practical purposes. Somewhere to sit while you tie your shoes/take your boots off/etc.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

i like the bench idea. you could get a long one and have it upholstered in a bright, bold fabric, stripes or something, in red tones.

or get something that stands out, like an antique chinese bench in bold red or something, or something more rustic-y that contrasts with the rest of the room.

there are some beautiful antique indian benches too:

or an antique bench with an ornate wooden frame, paint it white, and upholster it in a bright fabric.

or a small, antique divan. those also look great with the wood painted white and a bold fabric.

Last edited by sputnik; November 4th, 2011 at 12:39 PM.

Elite Member

If I had a foyer like that, I would put our baby grand in there. And I agree, you need a bench for seating. And definitely a large piece of art or a large mirror on that big wall.

I am jealous of all that space! My living room is not even as large as your foyer. Hell, I bet my living room and dining room together aren't that large.

But honestly, if I had that big foyer I wouldn't know what to do with it either (except for the piano). Maybe a large library table with upholstered chairs?

I don't play and neither does my daughter. I have huge Holiday Open House party each year and we do rent a baby grand, with a person to play it, for the party. It's fun to watch drunks sing.

Twitchy - the hall tree to left of the door does have a bench so you can sit and take off shoes. It has a mirror and hooks to hang coats but I have some fancy hats hanging there. We do not come in and out the front door so we leave our shoes in the mudroom. The hall tree looks similar to this.

Such a fun challange! Also fun, it sounds like we have the same wall color and I ain't changing mine either.
    I can't wait to see what Chalet says, but love the others here,too.
    Try to make it all very personal, things that mean something to you. See if that local artist can do a very large sketch of your house or take a photo, mute the colors and blow it way up. This is fun and can be very beautiful if you take an old crayon drawing by your daughter (around age 4-5) , blow up, mat with red and hang. Most could pass for a very trendy artist! It will be fun to say "Oh, my daughter did that." when someone admires it. I just like the idea of 1 or 2 biggies since you have the space.
    That is a lovely space to have and frankly anything you throw in there will be great. Oh-an old timey hall tree would be nice & useful.

That hall tree you just put up was exactly what I was thinking !!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

What a gorgeous space! There is so much you can do with that. We used to have an antique church pew in our foyer, and it was a gorgeous and functional piece of furniture that was also a good conversation piece. Something like that would look good.

Another idea I have liked lately in home decorating is making a "gallery wall".

^^That is how I have the art now but none hung so low. In all there are 11 pieces hung on that wall - not all by the same artist - but the theme is all about our town and the history. I would love to find an old church pew....

I have had this house for 16 years and have never felt the foyer gave the vibe I wanted. The front porch makes me happy but I just never felt the feel continued into the foyer. I like the feel of all my other rooms. I also want to get the pocket doors restored but the previous owner had them sealed in the walls. From I have heard and seen in other homes in the neighborhood, the pocket doors are glass panels.
    Last edited by sluce; November 4th, 2011 at 04:21 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information