Thread: A painted whorehouse in Brandon VT

Default A painted whorehouse in Brandon VT

What You Get for ... $280,000

Caleb Kenna for The New York Times
    This restored three-bedroom Victorian in Brandon, Vt., is on the market for $279,000.

By VIRGINIA C. McGUIRE

Published: October 5, 2011

BRANDON, VT.
    WHAT: A three-bedroom Victorian built circa 1900
    HOW MUCH: $279,000
    SIZE: 2,659 square feet
    PER SQUARE FOOT: $105
    SETTING: This house sits on a hilltop about five minutes’ walk from the village green in Brandon, a town of about 4,000 people in central Vermont. Brandon has the traditional elements of small-town life — a grocery store, a hardware store and a stationery store — alongside art galleries and restaurants. A farmers’ market is held on the green on Saturdays. Middlebury is a 30-minute drive, and Burlington is about an hour and 15 minutes away.
    INSIDE: Built around 1900, this clapboard Victorian has been restored by the current owners over the past several years. They preserved the original floors, decorative woodwork and ornate brass door hardware. The front door has an etched glass panel, and there’s an original stained-glass window in the entryway. The living room has a working fireplace, and theparlor has a pellet stove. The formal dining room has a wood ceiling. Behind the kitchen, which was renovated three years ago, is a combined pantry and laundry room with an original sideboard with a tile backsplash. A tiny room, only 6 feet by 6 feet, is used as an office. Upstairs are three bedrooms, and a fourth unfinished room that is used for storage. The bedrooms have Victorian-style wallpaper.
    OUTDOOR SPACE: A picket fence runs along the front of the property, and a path made of marble slabs leads to the deep front porch. An old barn in the grassy backyard has electricity and a loft.
    TAXES: $3,131
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/gr...nddestinations

I love the sign saying "Mother Shapiro's Entrance" so many connotations, none of them clean.
    Free Charmed.

Love the barn. And being from NE, that is a very atypical house for the area. I bet it sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

What an eyesore.

the red barn is kinda cool but other than that, this shit makes me dizzy.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

From the outside, it looks like one of those hipster "Planet X" restaurants we have in this area.

I like the stained-glass window.

Holy shit!!! Taxes are under $3500?!?!?!?!

My 1st house was a 1200 sq ft ranch that we paid about $70,000 for (needed a lot of work) and the taxes were almost $5,000 a year!! That was over 10 years ago, I am sure they went up even more since then....

I wish on every star I could move out of NYS....But I can't. And I love Vermont.......
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Again, great bones and complete shit for decorations. Love the layout of the kitchen without the kitsch.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I like the period features but I'd probably have to spend a fortune rescuing it from the horrendous paintwork and decor.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I like the period features but I'd probably have to spend a fortune rescuing it from the horrendous paintwork and decor.
    I love the double doorway in the sitting room but those curtains look tawdry. I think it needs a nice pair of 12 pane glass doors (we had some in the Georgian house I grew up in & they can look great).

I like the bed, the stained glass but I can't get past the red melamine worktop in the kitchen with all that clutter
    Free Charmed.

OMG, that kitchen! This just went from bad to worse. They killed what could have been a nice house.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Again, great bones and complete shit for decorations. Love the layout of the kitchen without the kitsch.
    Perfect. Yeah, if you look under the horrible, tasteless clutter and the shitty wallpaper and curtains, etc., this is actually a nice restoration. We would just need to take all their crap OUT and fix the wallpaper and a few details. Like, a breakfast bar in a period Victorian restoration is ridiculous.

The wallpaper is particularly horrible--Victorian style my fanny, even the gaudiest Victoriana has a certain elegance, unlike this shit.

I'm used to loudly painted Victorians, being from the SF area. And I've got family right in that part of Vermont and have seen some bright old houses there; my cousin's wife painted her Victorian a lovely shade of lavender, for example. But this paint job is just plain tacky.

These people have a stunning house and where they basically left it alone and just fixed up what was already there, they did fine. But their own taste sucks ass.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Silver Member

If the colour of the house was the same colour as the barn I'd love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I love the sign saying "Mother Shapiro's Entrance" so many connotations, none of them clean.
    I would buy this house in a quick second, I'd change a couple of things (not the exterior), but that sign stays!
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Thread Information