Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A five-bedroom Carpenter Gothic house in Bath, Me., 45 mins from Portland

Default A five-bedroom Carpenter Gothic house in Bath, Me., 45 mins from Portland

What You Get for ... $485,000

BATH, ME.

For news and features on real estate, follow @nytrealestate.

WHAT: A five bedroom three-and-a-half-bath Carpenter Gothic house built in 1849
    HOW MUCH: $485,000
    SIZE: 3,685 square feet
    PRICE PER SQUARE FOOT: $131.61
    SETTING: Bath is a city of about 9,200 people along the Kennebec River, on the coast of Maine. The historic downtown area has brick storefronts and several examples of 19th-century residential architecture, like this house, on surrounding streets. There are several restaurants, cafes and specialty shops downtown; larger stores, like supermarkets, are nearer to Brunswick, about five miles west. Portland is 45 minutes south by car.
    INSIDE: The house was built in 1849 by Gervase Wheeler, a British architect who built several historic houses in Maine. It retains many of its original details, including window frames and handmade cupboards and some floors. The main level has consecutive living rooms, one with a marble-surround fireplace, the other with several floor-to-ceiling windows and an original chandelier. The formal dining room has an original built-in cupboard with trefoil arches. The kitchen has mahogany cabinets and granite countertops. It also has a pantry original to the house.
    Two of the bedrooms are on the second floor, including the master suite, which has a fireplace and a walk-in closet. The master bath has its own fireplace and Jacuzzi tub. The three remaining bedrooms are on the third floor. The house also has a recently renovated walkout finished basement with southern and western exposure. A barn on the property has a three-bay garage and a storage loft. It was built to replace the original coach house, which burned down in 1999.
    OUTDOOR SPACE: The house is on a little under an acre, with a side yard and a gravel driveway.
    TAXES: $9,262 a year

Homes for $485,000 - Slide Show - NYTimes.com

This is great - except for the frickin' wallpaper. Do not like wallpaper. Do not like grandma's house wallpaper. And, is that upper floor completely open to the downstairs? It doesn't look safe by the stairs.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

it looks spooky to me, like there'd be ghosts all up in there.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

i hate their furniture but it's a great house, beautiful detailing.
    and i know it's typical of houses from that period but i don't like the layout of the ground floor, how all the rooms are separated and have actual doors, makes it feel so closed in. i think if i lived there i would at least put archways between the different rooms or something to open it up.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I like it, but there's something about it that makes me cringe... I just can't pinpoint what it is. Actually, I think it's the decor, the arrangement of the furniture, and the dull colors they decorated with. Even sparsely decorated, it looks cluttered and depressing because of the poor layout of their furniture and the colors. The house itself is great, though.

Yea - I want to like it, but there's something about it that I really don't like. I definitely don't like the fireplace but I do like the kitchen.

I also hate the painting of the dogs over the fireplace.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

It's nice, but around here I could get my dream house with that kind of cash.

The house is on a little under an acre... TAXES: $9,262 a year
    Fuck right off.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    This is great - except for the frickin' wallpaper. Do not like wallpaper. Do not like grandma's house wallpaper. And, is that upper floor completely open to the downstairs? It doesn't look safe by the stairs.
    Wallpaper? Are we looking at the same photos, coz for the life in me I can't see any wallpaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Fuck right off.
    that's a lot I guess then? We're paying £1,200(I think) for a 2 bedroom building site...

Note:- the colours are Victorian replicas by the look of it. Their colours were a lot less "bright & shiny" & would have definitely been flat matt (like these are) since they didn't have vinyl.

This looks like a setting out of a Stephen King novel. It all looks creepy, except for the kitchen.

A*O

It's been very sympathetically done. With a few minor tweaks I'd take it. Love the interior window shutters.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Wallpaper? Are we looking at the same photos, coz for the life in me I can't see any wallpaper.
    Seriously? There's wallpaper all over the place - front foyer, kids' playroom, master bedroom.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Hate the front but love the inside. The molding is stunning but I sort of hate that they mixed the white stain and the darker wood stain. I think that's what's unsetteling to the eye. I also hate stairs with a carpet runner and exposed wood on each side. The bannister is awesome though. It could be fantastic with a few tweaks.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    Fuck right off.
    then our property tax would piss you off, it is much higher than that!

i like the house ok but it needs new furnishings. and HATE the cooktop - my personal bias.

I love the stairs!! And those house taxes aren't that expensive...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information