Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wainscoting in Bathroom?

Default Wainscoting in Bathroom?

I hope this is the right place for this because all I see are celebrity homes.

Anyway, we're working on our upstairs bathroom. I decided to do it in purple and white. The purple and white are about 50-50 not counting tub, sink and toilet which are all white.

I don't want to go crazy with the purple, but I also don't want it to look stark naked in white either. So I was thinking about wainscoting the bottom in white and putting a pale purple on the top. I already purchased (years ago) two compatible floral prints in lavender which would be hanging on the purple side of the wall. I just have to paint the frames, which are gold and the whole bathroom will have silver accents. I'm also thinking about doing whitewashed Pergo in there. I had a friend tell me no Pergo in the bathroom ... don't know why.

Crazy or doable?

crazy. everyone knows wayne's coating works best in an elevator.
    McJag likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    crazy. everyone knows wayne's coating works best in an elevator.

Wayne's Coat is too fancy for my knowledge. Sorry.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

A*O

Oh boy Nevan - you're going to regret this thread LOL
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

Because Pergo warps when water gets on it, not good!
    You are a brave soul...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It's not a bathroom, it's a place for peasant-like home done blow-outs.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

And the correct spelling is waynes-coating.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I hope this is the right place for this because all I see are celebrity homes.

Anyway, we're working on our upstairs bathroom. I decided to do it in purple and white. The purple and white are about 50-50 not counting tub, sink and toilet which are all white.

I don't want to go crazy with the purple, but I also don't want it to look stark naked in white either. So I was thinking about wainscoting the bottom in white and putting a pale purple on the top. I already purchased (years ago) two compatible floral prints in lavender which would be hanging on the purple side of the wall. I just have to paint the frames, which are gold and the whole bathroom will have silver accents. I'm also thinking about doing whitewashed Pergo in there. I had a friend tell me no Pergo in the bathroom ... don't know why.

Crazy or doable?
    IMO I think it would be fine to do the wainscoting in white on the bottom. Pergo will not warranty a floor installed in a humid environment...check their website for installation instructions.

What kind of tile do you have in your shower? Could you tile the floor in a matching/coordinating tile? Or, alternatively, they have tile that even looks like hardwood now, maybe you could do something like that?

Grey tile would be nice with the lavender, I think.

What do your cabinets and countertop look like? Is your tub freestanding or is it a drop in with an enclosure?

I have remodeled two bathrooms in our house, I love talking through ideas. We put beadboard wainscoting in the kids bath with a chair rail. It has a large pedestal sink, hex tiles on the floor, kind of an old fashioned look. Our master bath is a bit more modern but still timeless. We did beige floor tile and dark wood cabinets with speckled beige Silestone countertops.

Here's a good website with tile/flooring ideas:
    The Tile Shop | Granite, Travertine, Slate, Marble, Ceramic, Porcelain, Glass, Metal, DIY | The Tile Shop

only if you can exchange glances, have the right blow-out and don't have fat fingers
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I put wainscoting in my bathroom when I remodeled it and love it. You do have to wipe it down as dust will settle in the ridges, but you can then do any color you'd like on top since the white is a nice counter balance. I like bold colors so it works perfectly.

Isn't wayne's coat all expensive and stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    Isn't wayne's coat all expensive and stuff?
    Who the hell is Wayne and why would I pay for his coating?

^^^ Yeah, the Wayne's coating went way over my head.

I've been redoing the bathroom at my house and I put a floating laminate flooring that's made to look like tile in there and in the kitchen too. I talked to quite a few people at several stores about it and the best advice I got was that it would be okay, but the get the sealant/glue like stuff that's specially made for putting floors like that in places that get wet. I really love it.

I think the wainscoting is a good idea. I like the color ideas that you have too. You'll have to post pictures when you're done.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Ya know I had no clue what wayne's coating actually was 'til now and I googled it and realised that the house we bought right before my divorce is full of it everywhere.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information