Thread: Nobis House - Minimalist Boathouse Residence Near Munich, Germany

Default Nobis House - Minimalist Boathouse Residence Near Munich, Germany

As both the client and the designer, engineer/architect Nobis designed the home and office for her own four-member family and for her architectural practice.

It is a beautifully minimalist, modern take on a traditional twin wooden boathouse, popular by the lake. While the boathouses are on stilts over the water, Nobisís house is on 60-centimeter high illuminated legs.
    This gives the house its wonderful, impermanent, hovering feel but it was in fact a necessity in this location where the ground water rises very high. This also meant that everything must fit in the space above ground ó no basement or cellar possible.

The structure, mainly of wood and glass, includes two separate but connected houses. House one includes living, eating and cooking functions on the ground floor, and the ďgalleryĒ above it.

In the second house, two offices and guest room are on the ground floor, bedrooms and bathrooms above it.

Nobisís goals were to provide ample views of the lake, to let as much natural light in as possible and to not interfere with the surrounding nature or old trees.

She also wanted to use materials sparingly and economically, and to reduce everything to its essential beauty, purpose and function. Shelving and stairs of metal and wood, open storage, minimal furniture ó all give the house its clarity and lightness.

The structure is long and narrow, but thanks to the use of glass and wooden slats, it appears almost transparent.
    Nobis says that in essence, the house is nothing more than a shelter from the climate, a space where one can move as freely as possible. We envyingly agree. - Tuija Seipell.

The Cool Hunter - Nobis House - Minimalist Boathouse Residence Near Munich, Germany

Wow! I really like it, except for no window cover at all, that I can see. No walking around half dressed here.
    I also wonder about hot days...even icy ones. Still, love the way the underposts light up at night. Love the view!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Ooh, I like it.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

i think that i want to like it...seems a tad too monotonous, though.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I'd have to buy drapes or blinds for the windows or something.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I wonder if they have those windows you can push a button & black out. That would work.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i want it. the only thing i don't like is the weird lighting along the bottom in the first pic.and i would change the sofas and furniture.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hell no. I couldn't even run away from it fast enough because of the shitty stone path/lawn.

Where there windows like that in the toilet? If not, then I could live here.

If you look closely at photo #3, you can see another traditional house right next door. So close you can almost touch it. Why build a house with zero privacy so close to another house? The neighbors would constantly be looking in your home, watching you. I love the house, but would want it in an isolated place so I could just enjoy the view, the openness without the threat of exposing myself to my neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    If you look closely at photo #3, you can see another traditional house right next door. So close you can almost touch it.
    Do you think? It looks like it might be a garage or carport. Though it doesn't exactly match, so you might be right.

I also would prefer a place like this in a large, private setting. It's actually made me think that if I ever end up building new, maybe I'd go a lot more towards this style than I ever thought I would.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^Yep, looks to me like a hedge and a fence seperating the two parcels of land. Definitely a neighbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    If you look closely at photo #3, you can see another traditional house right next door. So close you can almost touch it. Why build a house with zero privacy so close to another house? The neighbors would constantly be looking in your home, watching you. I love the house, but would want it in an isolated place so I could just enjoy the view, the openness without the threat of exposing myself to my neighbors.
    nuh-unh. the other house is close by but there's a pretty high hedge dividing both houses and this modern house is only all glass/zero privacy on both ends, not the sides. the walls that are next to the neighbouring house are panelled/covered, not glass, and the hedge goes all the way up to where the sloping roof of the neighbour's house begins, so that means any windows on that side of the neighbour's house would only have a view of the hedge.
    and there's additional panelling or whatever that is on either side of the porches. so really i'm not seeing the total lack of privacy. unless you have neighbours who look through hedges or own periscopes, that is.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Yeah maybe for the lower levels at least. And I would do some landscaping-but try to keep it in line with the modern design.

Surprisingly, I like this. And it has such a nice bookcases-I am such a sucker for those.

also why don't they show the sleeping quarters and bathroom? Hard to tell how private those are.

I would also extend that outdoor patio out some-that is too good a transition from indoor to outdoor to have such a puny deck/patio. Would be good for having lots of people over/a party.

Thread Information