Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you or Do You Own a House on a Corner Lot?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Question Would you or Do You Own a House on a Corner Lot?

Would you or Do You Own a House on a Corner Lot?

Because I've always been against them due to my thinking they're less private; but what if you're on a corner on two relatively quiet streets and are able to put up tall solid walls/fences then isn't it maybe more private b/c you don't share your yard w/ two different neighbors?

Its seems like you also have to keep your yard looking nice all the time since more people will see it and maybe they are less private and more noisy due to more traffic wizzing by - I don't know

I fell in love with this home in LA, and I'm just looking and doing research nowhere near ready or able to buy, but its one drawback was that its on a corner lot has a nice yard though especially for LA standards where yards are so freakin' small, someday I want to have kids be able to play in a yard is my dream, if I do have kids and/or stay in LA that is...

am I over-thinking things? I'm very particular on my living situation; I know what I like and don't like, I have a specific list for instance

So any experiences with living in a home on a corner lot?

I actually live on a corner lot and really don't notice any loss of privacy. An interior lot has neighbors on all sides so, any privacy you really have is based on what kind of fence you install. One nice thing about a corner lot is that they tend to have more yard space. In an area where lot sizes are smaller, a corner lot is actually desireable. It is also nice because you have street on two sides of you - more parking - more sidewalk to skate, hopskotch, skateboard, etc. Anyway, the crux is whether or not either is a busy street. I would be more worried about that than the corner lot.
    Silence may be golden but, duct tape is cheaper.

You might pay a bit more for a lawn service, but in my mind that would be money well spent! I have never heard a single person complain about having such a lot.
    Jump on this
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Totally agree. It depends completely on the street--if it is quiet, go for it. If it also has a large lot (corner lots in more greedily developed areas of CA can be missing their backyards) then it's all the more desirable!!!

But I think that any house in a nice area, quiet street (cul-de-sacs especially!! less traffic!!) and with a big lot are the ones to seek. Especially, if you like privacy, note the size and placement of neighboring houses. Lots that are shallower and wider can be nicer as the houses aren't so close together as on streets with deep, narrow lots. And neighboring houses which are smaller and/or with less stories are great because they can't look into your yard as easily.

Don't compromise on what you want, is the best advice I could possibly give you.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I'm on a corner lot too - I haven't owned another house so I really can't compare. I live on the corner of two sidestreets in a subdivision, and one block over from a main road. My back yard has a 6' wooden privacy fence all the way around so it pretty much mutes the traffic and a lot of the wind as well. I wish it muted the boozed up neighbor 2 houses down - in the summer, his back yard and the one directly next to mine are his little paradise. Drinks a bunch of beer, screams at his kid, swears, tells dirty jokes, laughs so neighbors 5 streets over can hear. Real whoremonger. I sit in my yard and say "shut the fuck up" just loud enough - to both him and his yappy goddamn dog. Corner lot is nice too because my driveway and garage are on the side of my house instead of glaringly obvious in the front.

I usually make myself a coffee in the morning, open the patio door and sit on the deck in my undies. Nobody can see.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Corner lots:

1. Are almost always bigger than the usual lot. Which is a plus.
    2. May become a school bus stop in the near or distant future because school bus stops are usually on corners. Changing bus routes and school redistricting plans can cause the bus stops to move. For some people a negative, because having noisy kids on the grass next to your house (Mon through Fri) is not a lot of fun.
    3. More likely to have street lights around you.
    4. Might be likely to have slightly more noise. Because cars that drive by with their radios turned up, will have to stop in one of the crossing roads in front of your house.

you're right BabyFace, they do have bigger yards; i've been noticing that myself, which like I said is very hard to come by in affordable Los Angeles area homes

some other good points Mohandas, I guess it depends on the neighborhood regarding noise.

lol Brookie something I would like to do someday, someday McJag I will be buying a home maybe dunno yet, and certainly not now! but looking!!

We had a bid on a corner lot in one of the more affluent towns in our area. We were going to build new and the front of the house was going to be on one of the busier streets in that town and the side street was quiet and would be where we'd put the garage area. I liked the fact that I could pull in and out of the driveway/garages on the quiet side of the house and still have a pretty house in the front.

For me, the lot size would need to be nice sized (the one we had a bid on did). The town I live in (which is a little less affluent) has many corner lots and most of them are not setup the way I described above. The zoning committee in our town also makes you have the fence waaay back and only 4ft high on the side of the house so you lose too much of your yard, which would be one of my concerns with buying a corner lot. Just my opinion.

we lived on a corner lot for 13 years after i got married. people drove over the curb, and up on our property constantly. we wanted to put up a fence but the HOA said no. i put bricks out there to deter cars, the HOA had a fit. we didn't put lawn there because the idiots would drive over it and ruin the lawn. The HOA started to bitch but saw what cars were doing to the lawn, so they shut up about that.

we finally got sick of it, sold the house and moved. bastards.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^ whoah what the hell! I woulda put railroad spikes in the dirt

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    we lived on a corner lot for 13 years after i got married. people drove over the curb, and up on our property constantly. we wanted to put up a fence but the HOA said no. i put bricks out there to deter cars, the HOA had a fit. we didn't put lawn there because the idiots would drive over it and ruin the lawn. The HOA started to bitch but saw what cars were doing to the lawn, so they shut up about that.

we finally got sick of it, sold the house and moved. bastards.
    Yup. I grew up on a corner lot. It was awesome, it was just woods on one side, so we had an extra-large yard and actually more privacy than most of our neighbours, but! People were forever zipping around the corner (or just not turning for it at all?) and driving up onto our front lawn. Like several times a year, and not just during winter! Ruts in the yard, people hitting the tree, so... you know. Something to think about!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

We're on a corner lot and I like the extra room. The only downside is that we have three rugrats and you have to be a little more careful with cars going by. Well, and you have to shovel more sidewalk. Otherwise, I like not being sandwhiched in by houses.

easier getaway = more crime.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Yeah the show shoveling gets to be annoying sometimes, but I have a lawn service in the summer and they don't charge me any extra for having the corner lot, maybe because they don't have to do the back (I have no lawn in the back).
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

so I went and visited my dream house tonite after the gym and it was beautiful! the neighborhood is super quiet even on a friday night and it was just lovely, totally out of my pricer range and I wouldn't buy real estate right now anyways, but uuuuuuuuuuughhhhh i want that house!!!! i would tear down the puny fence and put up a big wall that would extend from the backyard to the front instead of separating the two which would equal more privacy and a bigger yard actually. screw curb appeal! im all about privacy and having my own secret garden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information