Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions welcome - Kitchen decor thread

Default Suggestions welcome - Kitchen decor thread

So..... I've shot myself in the foot (sort of), me & MrN had a pact, he wouldn't bitch about how untidy I am & I wouldn't decorate. I'm allowed to direct him, choose the colours, etc, but he does the actual painting.
    I decorated the (tiny) bathroom and he liked the colour & thought that it was well done, so I'm now "allowed" () to decorate the kitchen (it needs it!).

He thinks that (some sort of) yellow would be a great colour, and I actually agree (its currently pale green, which I like but I think that at least 4 of my kitchens have been the same colour Porcelain Green | 1829 | Craig & Rose paints). However, I'm open to suggestions & ideas about the rest.
    Here's what you need to know. Its a 300 yr old cottage, with stone/tile floors, oak kitchen, with "antique" brass handles, vaulted ceilings with dark stained beams and a gas/electric "aga" type cooker (see picture). These things are not going to change.....

Suggestions on colours, curtains/blinds (we have 2 windows opposite each other with 18" thick walls & 2 x doors, again opposite each other), accessories, etc... Oh, maybe I should mention that we have a wooden table & a settle that is quite dark that need to stay in the kitchen......
    (this {below} is a settle - if you don't know what one is... Ours isn't quite so ornate, but is a very similar colour)

You probably need to know that its a high traffic area, gets a lot of use/abuse, it gets dirty easily & needs to be easily cleanable.
    I'd like something that the house likes, that doesn't fight with the age (so Danish Modern is probably out...), etc. However, I don't want anything too twee.
    It is also quite dark, due to the small (IMO - but then I grew up & lived in Georgian houses, for preference) windows.

Any suggestions?
    Free Charmed.

Well bugger you then! I can see you reading then passing on by..... It doesn't even have to be yellow... I was just interested to know what some of you might do since I've run out of ideas....
    Free Charmed.

I have no ideas, I just wanted to say that bench is sensational.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Our settle is a breeding ground for "stuff I need to do something with".... I need to chuck it all away & give it a polish. *looks guilty*
    Free Charmed.

Might I suggest you ship it to Colorado? That will take care of your problem.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Caught out! My last suggestions on Chalets thread were poorly received. I decided kitchens are not my strong suit.However, I shall plunge in!
    See the color to the right side of the settle? Not a yellow-yellow but sort of an off white with gold undertones? I once had that in a north facing living room and I loved it. It was quiet, but kind of glowed from within. Never got tired of it.
    It also sounds like you have enough interesting features in there, so I would do the curtains to match the walls, so they just disappear. It sounds really cozy and wonderful already!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I really am drawing a blank here. But you have some cool stuff. The oven is pretty groovy, looks like a remake of a retro. I also like the bench. I do like yellow kitchens it can make dark little rooms feel sort of sunny.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Caught out! My last suggestions on Chalets thread were poorly received. I decided kitchens are not my strong suit.However, I shall plunge in!
    See the color to the right side of the settle? Not a yellow-yellow but sort of an off white with gold undertones? I once had that in a north facing living room and I loved it. It was quiet, but kind of glowed from within. Never got tired of it.
    It also sounds like you have enough interesting features in there, so I would do the curtains to match the walls, so they just disappear. It sounds really cozy and wonderful already!
    That doesn't sound right! I'll go back and beat them up with ladylike fashion.

Novice - I have to read again later and return tonight. Till then, I suggest that you fly me over to do a proper job. British Airways business class, hire a car to pick me up at The Dorchester and take me over. One bag of luggage is all I carry. Let's meet at The Ritz for tea to review. Tell Nigel Havers I'll be there and not to bring his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    So..... Its a 300 yr old cottage, with stone/tile floors, oak kitchen, with "antique" brass handles, vaulted ceilings with dark stained beams and a gas/electric "aga" type cooker (see picture). These things are not going to change.....

Just about every gorgeous pic I've seen of old or retro homes have had neutral walls and punches of color here and there. I think because all the wonderful detailing such as what you have, it speaks for its self. The colors can be anywhere from accessories and/or window treatments.
    If you've like that green you've using in alll your previous homes, perhaps a lighter, creamier version? This way you can punch it up with accessories.

Love love love the bench too!
    I would have loosely strung a colorful throw or shawl over the top one corner just for visuals' sake and grab it whenever I'm cold.

Pearly creamy walls,cream and yellowish stripy curtains,emerald green pillows and sunshine yellow new cups.
    Dark green little rugs here and there and walla!you re done.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Damn Effie, when did you come to my house? Thats more or less what we have at the moment!!!!

Chalet, that would be cool, but it wouldn't be the Dorchester as it would take you a day to get to me from there as I live on the English/Scottish boarder.

WhiteTigeress - that shawl would be in constant use! I freeze here! My natural home (despite my paleness) is SoCa!

Greys... I may have to tweet you the real thing, then you'll see my issue... I think that ours is later, more Arts & Crafts than Victorian, but- not mine, the antiques are his, the electronics (computers, sounds, etc) are mine, plus the pictures & art.

The green is going, even I have had enough of it! I honestly don't know how I've managed to do it but it has been a repeat success that ran and ran. Time for a change.

Thanks guys, these are great suggestions, I really appreciate them!
    Free Charmed.

Would love to help you Novice but I'm no good at visualizing. It takes me forever to do a room because I find things I like one-at-a-damn time. That old "I know it when I see it."

I like Effie's suggestions best if that helps.

(That bench is awesome!)

Lol! That's really how it already is except pale green walls, stripe green/cream/White/gold curtains & blind (windows only) and a cream cotton rug.
    Free Charmed.

Brilliant! You're done.

(ps: told you I would be no help.)

Before that it was a warm apricot/peach & I really hated that. Dunno why, i've had it in my own house previously, maybe because of the memories from that time? Eh? Who knows...
    Free Charmed.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information