Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever regretted a furniture or furnishing purchase? Why?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Have you ever regretted a furniture or furnishing purchase? Why?

A few years ago I had to replace the sink in my rental apartment. The only one I could fit through the doorway was this awesome glass sink. But it's been a nightmare since then. I can never keep it clean. Water pools on the underside of it when people take a hot shower for too long. It also attracts dust and other linty hair bits. But I got it installed and now I'm stuck with it.

Just curious if anyone's ever made a mistake on something that seemed like a good idea furniture-wise or appliance and then regretted it?

Not me personally but I roll my eyes at these down filled sofas. I know some friends with these sofas and no way for me. Ever time you sit a feather stick out of it. It always look like it's got lint on it. I also dislike infinity soaking tubs and tubs with jets. Both seem to always have mold on them.

A*O

1. If it's a rental apartment it's your landlord's job to replace stuff like this.

2. Since when do people take a shower in a sink? A small troll perhaps?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    1. If it's a rental apartment it's your landlord's job to replace stuff like this.

i agree, why are you replacing it, if its a rental. Thats not your responsibility.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I took it to mean it was her apartment, that she owned, but rented out to people. Not one she rented to live in.

To add: It seems every time I have ever bought plates (I guess that counts as furnishings), I end up loathing them and wondering why I bought them within a month or two. This has happened with me more times than I care to admit.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Janet296 View Post
    Not me personally but I roll my eyes at these down filled sofas. I know some friends with these sofas and no way for me. Ever time you sit a feather stick out of it. It always look like it's got lint on it. I also dislike infinity soaking tubs and tubs with jets. Both seem to always have mold on them.
    tubs with jets skeeve me out as well. Imagine what gets in there. Shudder

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post

A. The old sink was from the 1970s and disgusting but durable. So the landlord wouldn't replace it. I live in NYC they don't really "have" to do anything unless it is a rent stabilized apartment. Mine is not. It's in a house.

B. I didn't say that they took a shower IN the sink, I said that when someone takes a hot shower for too long. I meant the steam in the room causes droplets to form on the underside of the sink.

C. Do you honestly think that someone would go to the trouble to "troll" a thread about a made up story about a sink??????

Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post
    I took it to mean it was her apartment, that she owned, but rented out to people. Not one she rented to live in.

To add: It seems every time I have ever bought plates (I guess that counts as furnishings), I end up loathing them and wondering why I bought them within a month or two. This has happened with me more times than I care to admit.
    This is probably more common than you realize. A lot of people do this. Also sometimes plates look pretty but then you get home and realize how much they weigh, or that they chip easily.
    Last edited by gristledonna; January 17th, 2011 at 11:07 AM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by gristledonna View Post
    A few years ago I had to replace the sink in my rental apartment. The only one I could fit through the doorway was this awesome glass sink. But it's been a nightmare since then. I can never keep it clean. Water pools on the underside of it when people take a hot shower for too long. It also attracts dust and other linty hair bits. But I got it installed and now I'm stuck with it.

Just curious if anyone's ever made a mistake on something that seemed like a good idea furniture-wise or appliance and then regretted it?

You live in an alcove or something? I am confused.

A bathroom sink... all lock, stock, and barrel of it... should fit through a doorway.

You might want to look at the "Landlord Right To Repair" rules and all of that to be on the safe side.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by philbert_wormly View Post
    You live in an alcove or something? I am confused.

A bathroom sink... all lock, stock, and barrel of it... should fit through a doorway.

You might want to look at the "Landlord Right To Repair" rules and all of that to be on the safe side.

No I live in a brownstone in Brooklyn. Lovely on the outside but some weird rail road design on the inside. The door frame is tiny. And we couldn't fit the normal sink bases through the door. I suppose that's another reason why they didn't change it. At first I was so happy to find this cool designer looking sink. But it's been a nightmare since I've gotten it.

I was reminded of this in the thread about the German loft when people were commenting about the problem of cleaning a glass wall with cats in the house.

Thanks for the tip.

...and now I'm stuck with it.
    of course you are.

And in the spirit of the thread, yes. It was carpeting and it was wayyyy too light in color and was impossible to keep looking clean. I will never again get light colored carpet with an intricate design woven in it-it was a complete dirt whore!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by gristledonna View Post
    No I live in a brownstone in Brooklyn. Lovely on the outside but some weird rail road design on the inside. The door frame is tiny. And we couldn't fit the normal sink bases through the door. I suppose that's another reason why they didn't change it. At first I was so happy to find this cool designer looking sink. But it's been a nightmare since I've gotten it.

I was reminded of this in the thread about the German loft when people were commenting about the problem of cleaning a glass wall with cats in the house.

Thanks for the tip.

Then how do people fit through it?

You really should take up the ramifications of this up with your landlord. NYC rental laws are really very fair minded and tolerant for all.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    of course you are.

And in the spirit of the thread, yes. It was carpeting and it was wayyyy too light in color and was impossible to keep looking clean. I will never again get light colored carpet with an intricate design woven in it-it was a complete dirt whore!
    i'm starting to dislike carpeting more and more in general.

my ikea couch is a POS.

yes, i should've known this before i bought it.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

It was carpeting and it was wayyyy too light in color and was impossible to keep looking clean.
    Yeah that's my regret also. My upstairs carpet is very light. With kids and pets it's a nightmare to keep clean. I wish I had gone with wood floors instead.

I haven't bought enough furniture to regret anything yet, though my couch nearly matches a wall hanging in the living room, and I wish we had gone with a different colour for one of them. Oh well, the couch was free and the wall hanging was on sale, whatcha gonna do?

If I owned property, I wouldn't have a scrap of carpet in it. It gets gross so easily, I'm always worried about mold or cat piss soaking in or something, and it makes allergies worse. I'd have hardwood throughout and tile in the bathroom and kitchen. Rugs in every room to have something soft and plushy to step on.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Happens to me all the time. I don't know why, everytime I move into a new flat I kinda buy some furnitures in a haste and then of course I realise they're not practical or not exactly what I want ... I must have wasted tons of money doing that.
    Sometimes I don't understand how my brain works
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information