Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some advice on picking types/brands of paint

Default I need some advice on picking types/brands of paint

I did a search, but I apologize if there's already a thread out there similar to this. I'm going through and repainting an entire house. I really want to do the work with minimal coats and I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions on the primer+paint all-in-one combos or those promoting one-coat coverage. There are still some areas that need priming definitely, but I just don't have the time to do so many primer and multiple color coats. I've read reviews on some types and they all get completely mixed reviews. What has been everyone else's experience? Around here I've got Lowe's, Home Depot, and Sherwin Williams. We've used SW in the past, but these walls feel completely different. Any advice?
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I am assuming interior walls? What's the condition of the walls? What is the color now and what color are you going to paint it? I can provide a more suitable answer if I know the answer to those questions.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I assume you're talking about interior painting?

I've never tried the new paint/primer in one, but I've done my share of painting over the years (for myself and others) and I've never found ANY paint that looks good with just one coat, unless you're painting the exact same color--and even that's not a given.

I've also read, and I agree that you should use the best paint and materials you can afford. Cheap rollers and brushes can ruin your paint job, and it is a big job no matter how you slice it. Why put all the time in only to have it turn out crappy looking?

Also don't skimp on your prep. I HATE prep but cleaning, sanding, scraping, taping, and priming is all a necessary part of it.

I usually go to Sherwin Williams for paint, I think they have good quality for the price and the people at my local store are generally more knowledgeable than the hourly workers at the big box places. SW has lots of sales too (usually advertised in local flyers) so the prices are a little more than big box but still competitive.

Sorry that I don't have any cheap shortcuts for ya.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

we just painted our house with valspar paint from lowes. excellent stuff, a little more pricey, but worth it. wait til it goes on sale, then buy it up.

Good brushes and rollers are a must, as mentioned above. I also like Valspar. The satin finish. I repainted the kitchen 6 years ago and it still looks like new.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I like to use eco-friendly, no-VOC paint, and I've just used some of the Benjamin Moore version. It seems fine, but to be honest, the best paint I've ever used (only needed one coat, even of a deep terracotta colour) was Martha Stewart paint. I don't know if it's the same as it used to be, though; it used to be carried by Canadian Tire stores here, and is now only at Home Depot, and I'm wondering if the branding - and possibly the formula - may have changed.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

We just painted the entire interior of our house.....and we have small kids so we made sure it was a decent brand that washed easily but wasn't destroyed by the washing. We went w/heavy duty Benjamin Moore and so far, so good. No complaints.

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I was leaning towards the Valspar, but I had heard some mixed reviews about it so it's good to hear some more positives about it. We did my parents' house with SW several years ago and one coat did the trick beautifully and they still look great, but those walls were somewhat more absorbent (if that makes any sense) and the paint went on very evenly. These walls are all white or a very pale light green, with the exception of one neon blue wall in a bedroom (don't ask, I swear the people who lived here before me were smoking the good stuff).

We've already done most of the prep stuff. I've scrubbed the walls, patched, sanded, etc., but in some spaces the walls are very smooth and in one or two rooms in particular, the paint is pretty glossy. Not the most glossy, but somewhat more than semi-gloss.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to break down and buy some really high quality primer and go over everything. I don't mind doing it the long way, but I'm kind of time limited and I've just lost my main painter (besides myself that is). We've got about half of the ceilings done and are working our way through the closets now and as soon as they are finished I have to pick something for the walls and I'm still up in the air on the brand and type. As for colors, kitchen will be red (I know that will be a bitch with many layers), hall and living room will be medium/light gray, bathroom a slightly darker sky blue blue, den in dark cornflower blue (but on paneling), and the bedrooms I'm still figuring out. I'm just exhausted thinking about all of the painting coming up, but I'm really excited to see what it will look like (because it looks like complete crap now. )

All of the pro painters that I've known use Dunn Edwards. They have their own stores, but also sell to the public. Excellent paint, good colors. Don't use Ralph Lauren, the paint is really thin, cheap and you have to do multiple coats to make it look decent.

Also, I personally paint everything eggshell...ceilings, walls, trim, all of it. Makes your life easier not having multiple finishes and eggshell walls clean up well.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

We've always used Benjamin Moore, and that's what our painter uses too. It works very well, seems to last. I have no complaints.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

If you have a glossy sort of paint, you will have to prime it, otherwise the paint won't adhere properly. If you are going with a dark color, get tinted primer and it will go faster. The peeps at the paint store told me if you are going red, terra cotta, or anything in a red tone, use grey primer, as it will make the color more "true" in less coats.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Double thanks for the info on the gray primer!

very useful thread!
    i've been thinking about painting my bedroom and the guest room in my flat. it's a rental but the owner flat out refuses to do it so if i want new walls, i'll have to do it myself. right now the walls are a very nice grey (with all the mouldings and doors and ceilings in white), and i love it, but the bedroom and guest room are already quite dark naturally and i think they would look a lot better in white, or a very very very light grey (more like a grey-toned white) or maybe a very light blue in the guest room.

any tips for priming when you're going from a dark colour to a light one?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ Use white primer, 2 coats.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

fanks.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information