Thread: Bridle Road Residence - Cape Town

Default Bridle Road Residence - Cape Town

Bridle Road Residence or Gubbins House in Cape Town, South Africa, is a beautiful example of a sizeable structure that does not impose itself onto the landscape at the base of Table Mountain.

The single-family residence does not look massive or overly grand, but instead exudes a classic elegance with Scandinavian/Japanese lightness, precision and scale. The proportions and division of the walls and windows — including the “picture windows” overlooking the Cape Town harbor — create an openness without the feel of exposure.

Interior and exterior spaces are integrated seamlessly, which adds to the sense of site appropriateness — that this building belongs to this site.

The architecture is by Cape Town’s Antonio Zaninovic, known for his ability to let the landscape lead the architectural solutions. The Santiago, Chile-born, Zaninovic graduated from the University of Chile’s School of Architecture in 2000 and spent five years at Steven Harris Architects in New York before establishing his own practice in 2005 with Madrid, Spain-born architect, Ana Corrochano.

The interiors of the residence are by Lucien Rees of New York City-based Rees Roberts + Partners and the landscape by David Kelly of Rees Roberts + Partners.

The building and site feature several sustainable solutions including the self-cleaning outdoor pool, natural cross-ventilation, use of earth temperature as climactic moderator, use of heat-repelling glass, and maximal use of local materials such as poured finish concrete and balau wood.

The house and its landscape won an American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) 2010 Honor Award in the Residential Design category, - Tuija Seipell

The Cool Hunter - Bridle Road Residence - Cape Town, South Africa

Whiter than white, but I like the layout and the view. Most of that contemporary, neutral, butt-breaking furniture would be tossed right over the cliff.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

The view is awesome. I would totally decorate the inside differently though.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I find it peaceful. They have enough mid century touches to please me.. but i would probably funk up the beige.

Still... tranquil.

p.s. the pool needs some chlorine.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The placement of that tub in what appears to be an office is strange.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Looks like it could be in California
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

i want it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

love it.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thread Information