Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever live in a trailer?

Question Anyone ever live in a trailer?

Ok. So has anyone ever lived in a trailer(and will admit it)? How does it compare to living in a house or especially an apartment?

SVZ

Default Re: Anyone ever live in a trailer?

no, but i've always wanted to go RVing.......i guess that would be similar

A*O

Yes - on vacation - unless you are a tidy freak or like emptying a chemical toilet, don't do it. Hotels are there for a REASON.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I did for a few years of college. It was okay, a little cramped compared to a house but not much different than living in an apartment spacewise. I did find it disturbing when we'd have big storms roll through, you suddenly realize you've just got a thin layer of tin protecting you from the elements.

Not lived in one, but spent a fair ammount of time babysitting in one. The walls were thin, so it was unbearably hot in summer. The corridor to the bedrooms was far more narrow than in a house or apt. Made me feel like a linebacker to walk down the hall and almost have my shoulders touch the walls. When they did renovations, you could see that the carpet was installed before the walls went in and went right under the walls. Difficult to remove. Bathroom almost microscopic. Kids were brats, too. Nature or nurture? or environment?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

SVZ

are you considering it sojiita?

I had a teacher in high school that lived in a trailor when he first got married. They ended up living in it for years until he started teaching in my school district where there is nowhere nearby for the trailor. Whenever he talked about it, he always said that not only is he not ashamed that he lived in a trailor for years, but he actually preferred it to his house. He never elaborated on why though.

SVZ

probably some wild kinky sex reason you don't want to think about.

My friend lived in one for about 6 months and hated it. My cousin has been living in one for about 6 years now. We tease her all the time. I have never been to it but they said she has it fixed pretty nice.

Gold Member

We actually had to live with other people in a trailer. It was just a single wide, but my parents had sold our house and were planning on moving to Texas. My dad went down to help his brother with this supposed boom of work only to find that his brother was so stoned out of his mind that he didn't have any work lined up. He had estimates for work but no actual work. Dad came home and we could only stay with my grandparents for so long. Just one of the many reasons to call me redneck.

Trailers now are pretty much a rancher without a foundation which you can add and if you change the roof pitch, voila, you have a rancher.

They have amazing features in them for the cost. We almost did it a few years ago to save money for a house but hubby's parents didn't want a trailer on the farm. We'll be getting a 2-story modular built this spring for half the cost of a brand new stick built.
    Snooky Wookums, prepare for the invasion!

I never have personally, but have known plenty of people who have. They really aren't too bad, especially if you are a single bachelor. A family living in one can get crowded. And storms.....eek.

Are you looking to rent or to buy? Because you'll usually lose big time when you go to sell it.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

A*O

Also, would it be in a tornado zone?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Zee

I worked in a trailer when my office building was renovated. During a storm, it was blown off of the foundation. Scared the living daylights out of me.

My nephew lived in one for a few years. It was nice and helped them save money to buy a house.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

My parents had one at the beach all of my growing up years. It was actually wonderful in that park. All of the neighbors knew one another and partied together, grilled out, etc. We really didn't spend much time inside, I guess, but what a great place that was, especially when I reached college years!

Going to the bathroom has its drawbacks, though.
    Buying is a profound pleasure. Simone De Beauvoir

Well I don't think I will be able to afford living in this house, with the mortgage, utilities, homeowner's insurance, taxes(damn they went up 40% this year), upkeep, etc. I am afraid of roommates after my last one had crackheads help him move and one of them broke in shortly after(while I was here..I mentioned this a long time ago). My uncle lives in a trailer and it is not bad and is dirt cheap. There are some here nearby for sale. One is a 1997 trailer 14X70 for under $7,000.00. It is in the same park that my best-friend-in-high-school's-mother lived in after he left home. It was really not bad at all. (I was over there helping him in the mid 90's after his mother and niece were killed in a horrible semi/car crash..terrible time then He had just taken her on a trip to Maine to see lighthouses. My late partner painted and I had given her a painting he did for her of a lighthouse and she had cried when I gave it to her ). I have never lived in an apartment and I think I would actually prefer a trailer to an apartment-would be closer to living in a home I think. And yes, this is a tornado prone area so I would have to have a place to shelter. One of the 3 tornadoes I have actually seen myself went really close to this trailer park back in the 70's. There is a ravine nearby though.
    Even if I could afford to live here..I really don't like it anymore. I though I would have good memories but they have not materialized and alot of things remind me painfully of the past and the good times and all. I will miss my garden terribly, but I am going to dig up as much as I can and donate or sell plants to members of a garden club, or transplant them to relatives or whatever. Some of them are worth alot. I had two globe blue spruce that got too big about 4 years ago and dug them out and transplanted them to the front of my parents house and they are doing very well(and this was done in the middle of summer!-not the best time to do it). At the local garden centers these would have gone(for their size) for over $300.00 each. I have some plants that would go for over $1,000 and up-if I could get them out of the ground successfully. I excel at outdoor container planting and have a number of rare plants that overwinter outdoors in pots..I will probably try that with some and take them with me as well.

*damn! sorry for the length here! *

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information