View Poll Results: What is your most hated yard chore?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mowing lawn.

6 30.00%
  • weeding.

6 30.00%
  • watering lawn/plants/flowers.

2 10.00%
  • pruning trees. shrubs, bushes, etc.

0 0%
  • leaf and litter clean up(including pet 'wastes'

4 20.00%
  • other.

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most hated Yard 'chore'

Default Most hated Yard 'chore'

What is your most hated yard chore?

Please post if it is 'other'

Well I haven't had a yard in about 15 years, but when I was a teenager i absolutely HATED mowing the back lawn.

First off, it was huge. Secondly, it had a big ol above ground pool in it.

Thirdly, it kind of sat in a depression that collected a lot of rainwater, so the grass grew very quickly, and very THICK.

Fourthly... to take care of all this, I had a 0.00025% horsepower asthmatic electric lawnmower that couldn't cut through SHIT. I would have to go so slowly just so it didn't stall out on the foot tall grass. It took me HOURS to do that, and then to use the wheedwhacker to go around the damn pool, the fence, the stupid workshed.. OMG I HATED IT

All that in 40C blazing hot sun in the summer, every fucking weekend. HATED IT.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Well I haven't had a yard in about 15 years, but when I was a teenager i absolutely HATED mowing the back lawn.

First off, it was huge. Secondly, it had a big ol above ground pool in it.

Thirdly, it kind of sat in a depression that collected a lot of rainwater, so the grass grew very quickly, and very THICK.

Fourthly... to take care of all this, I had a 0.00025% horsepower asthmatic electric lawnmower that couldn't cut through SHIT. I would have to go so slowly just so it didn't stall out on the foot tall grass. It took me HOURS to do that, and then to use the wheedwhacker to go around the damn pool, the fence, the stupid workshed.. OMG I HATED IT

All that in 40C blazing hot sun in the summer, every fucking weekend. HATED IT.
    That is mine as well. I hate fucking mowing the lawn. And I am about to go out and do it here shortly. I loathe it with a great intensity. I am tempted to pay a kid to do it.

Mowing is evil!

I love having a pretty garden/yard, but I hate planting and digging in the damn dirt!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

You would think they could come up with a grass that would only grow half and inch a week.

We sent men to the moon over 40 years ago, but cannot have a grass like this?

*I just finished the yard. It is nice out so it was not so bad. Still hate it though.

I hate mowing my back yard- on a slant and a PITA.

I also hate bagging leaves- in our town we rake them on the side of the yard and the city gets them, but this usually takes MONTHS so I usually bag them. Which I despise.

I hate doing any yard work when it's stinking hot and humid out.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

^ for Soj: Eco grass

"For people that like that even cropped look on a lawn, you can mow your lawn as little as 2 or 3 times a season and it will maintain that shorter neat look."

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    ^ for Soj: Eco grass

"For people that like that even cropped look on a lawn, you can mow your lawn as little as 2 or 3 times a season and it will maintain that shorter neat look."
    It sounds good, but I have seen things like this before, and it usually involved grasses that were rhizomatically invasive, and also grasses that completely turned brown in the winter(from first frost till last frost), with dead dried grass actually being a possible fire hazard.

If these two things did not appy though, then it sounds ideal!!!

Of course this place would not let me do anything to the lawn anyway.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Regarding leaves: I always mow them. As much as I hate mowing, I hate bagging leaves too, and with a mulching mower, they are just reduced to a fine mulch that actually fertilizes the lawn. I usually wait until nearly all the leaves are down, and then rake them out of beds, walks, etc. out on the lawn(on a calm day) and just mow over them until they are fine mulch. I like this much better than raking/bagging.

It worked great last year-one sunny calm afternoon and it was all done. Plus it is not so bad to mow on a nice, cool, sunny autumn day as opposed to a tropical summer day.

I have a sorry excuse for a yard here in my apartment. Most of it is concrete, but it is lined with grass and bushes. We planted stuff which blooms in the Spring, and then fades and dies in the summer.

My more yard-like experiences come when we visit my mom during summer. She's got a tiny little backyard - nice, but extremely tiny - maybe 300 square feet. The grass is about 140 square feet, and on the weekends I'd have to haul the pushmower through all the junk in a crowded little garage just to mow that teeny spot of grass. Then I'd use the hand trimmers around the edges and under the bushes.

One more thing I hate is when my husband and I visit we inevitably have to help with the grape vine. The backyard has a small (10 feet wide) arbor with grapes growing all over it. It is filled with spiders, spider babies, and spider nests. We get to trim the wandering tendrils and later cut down the grapes in bunches so we can take them inside, trim them and boil them, then put them in a dehydrator overnight. Voila, raisins. Sometimes I will see little spiders floating up when I am boiling the grapes. *shudders*

watering, just because i have to do it so often. i just want a little break from it in the summer sometimes. i'm lucky that i don't have to mow; i might dislike it if i did. i find weeding & pruning & the like to be very stress-relieving & physically satisfying, so i enjoy those tasks.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Weeding. Little bastard weeds pop up everywhere. Bindweed and brambles are the two biggest offenders in my front and back garden. They seem to grow faster than I can keep up with them. I regularly shred my arms pulling out fucking thorny bramble bastards, and bindweed is a horrible insidious little weed that chokes other plants and kills them if you don't keep on top of it. Which I don't always. Ugh.

I actually quite enjoy mowing my lawn compared to this. It is a 20 minute job that is nowhere near as tiring or painful as crawling round pulling out stubborn cocking brambles.

While the leaves are soooooo pretty when they turn their beautiful colors here in Upstate NY....the CLEAN UP FUCKING SUCKS. That's my vote. It's like laundry--it never ends.

Mowing the lawn. I bought a hand mower because I hate noise and fumes, and didn't want to deal with a power cord. That was a mistake. It wasn't too bad if I cut it every week, but after vacations it would be quite long and would take three hours to cut it each time, and a month to get it back down to the length I wanted. It was absolute hell, especially in hot weather, and I was so glad last year when the damned thing broke! Now I have an electric machine and I still hate mowing the lawn but I no longer want to hang myself to get out of it.

It's just so tedious and unrewarding to do things that are so quickly undone. I don't really mind any chores related to the vegetable garden because I get to enjoy a nice harvest after a couple of months.

Last edited by Ravenna; July 27th, 2010 at 02:19 PM.

In Benedict Cumberbatch's Velvet Tuxedo, USA

I hate mowing!! I hate it so much!
    When it's 100 outside and I have to mow, I want to just kill my yard...
    “You never know what's around the corner. It could be everything. Or it could be nothing. You keep putting one foot in front of the other, and then one day you look back and you've climbed a mountain.” - Tom Hiddleston

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information