Thread: Texas Bunkhouse

Default Texas Bunkhouse

A film writer and director asked Austin, Texas–based architect Henry Panton to build a bunkhouse with a huge screen porch for family and guests on his 40-acre property in Bastrop, Texas, about 30 miles outside Austin. Situated over a dry creek bed and carefully crafted around the existing loblolly pine trees, the bunkhouse “is sort of like a bridge into the woods,” says Panton, who adds that the 1,400-square-foot structure, which can comfortably accommodate well over a dozen people, is used often by the director, his wife and three children, and their extended family and friends. “They have a lot of sleepovers,” says the architect.

Texas Bunkhouse - Ideas - Dwell

Never ever ever would I build a structure over a 'dry' streambed in the Austin/San Antonio/southern half of Texas. Even the dryest smallest streambeds subject to huge flash flooding. big no no. I like the place otherwise though.

And Austin area is a plus-a part of Texas that is really kind of..well..not so much like Texas..ya know? Sorry Texans.

Austin is now the 14th or 15th largest city in the US..really booming. It is a place that alot of gays from here have migrated to.

It also does look like it could go from nothing to a flaming torch in about 15 seconds or so...
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

uh no.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

What the hell? It looks like the set for Deliverance 2010.

I think it's really cool....it's obviously meant to have a camping-out and "getting away from it all" feel to it. I wonder who the director is... guessing Linklater, the family clues exclude Robert Rodriguez and Terry Malick, I think.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

The stilts here make it look so tacky and unfinished, not to mention unstable. Especially considering the flash-flooding risk Soj mentioned. Just seems like a bad idea and a lot of it is just uninspired looking design to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    The stilts here make it look so tacky and unfinished, not to mention unstable. Especially considering the flash-flooding risk Soj mentioned. Just seems like a bad idea and a lot of it is just uninspired looking design to me.
    It has to be on stilts because of the flash floods. You can be sure water is right up over those two last steps at least 3 times a year.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

That would be awesome for "camping" I am inspired, screw guarding my picket fence with a shotgun!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I think it's really cool....it's obviously meant to have a camping-out and "getting away from it all" feel to it. I wonder who the director is... guessing Linklater, the family clues exclude Robert Rodriguez and Terry Malick, I think.
    agree. i love it. i think it's so cool and i would love to spend holidays and weekends in a place like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I love the outdoor bathroom, but yea...there's so many other stable places that this could've been built on to avoid the unfinished look of the stilts.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Thread Information