Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Decorating ideas for my bedroom ....

Default Decorating ideas for my bedroom ....

I am so stumped. I have white paned glass windows. They were just put in recently so the casing and the trim have yet to be painted. Then the whole room needs to be painted, including new trim and possibly ceiling cove. I hate doing this, but I'm decorating around a bedding set. The bedding set is sage green and a french blue medallion type design on ivory jacquard. I also have a gorgeous (to me) rubbed black wood bedroom set, which is kind of throwing a wrench in the whole room. The bed is huge and dramatic and is definitely the focal point in the room even without bedding.

I want to paint three walls sage green and I'd like to do a combination sage green and french blue as an accent wall that will be behind the bed. The one that is in my head right now is a sage green solid wall with french blue paint over it and then "scraped" with a brush like tool that Ralph Lauren paints has at Home Depot (I will not use Ralph Lauren paint though because every time I've used it, it looks like shit) which leaves an imperfect stripe kind of design on the wall uncovering the base paint. I'm not sold on that though.

Does anyone have any ideas for an accent wall incorporating the two colors? And even though my furniture is black wood, I just cannot imagine using black as a trim paint, especially on the new doors and window. The window I have no choice because it's already white and I think it would look silly being black casing and/or trim and there's no way I want two doors painted solid black. So, any idea on the trim paint? Should I pull the ivory out of the trim on the bedding and use that for trim and doors?

TBH, I'm not sold on the bedding. There was also this gorgeous white bedding set with sage green embroidery on the bedding and gray (which I don't like) on the pillow shams and accent pillows. It was so pretty that my MIL picked it out for her bedroom downstairs. Would that be tacky having two bedrooms with the same color theme and exact same bedding? It would be a much easier time with paint selections. I have really expensive lamps that I found on a closeout deal that have sage green shades and sage green accents with black wrought iron. The only problem is that the gray (which again I hate) is much more prominent on the bedding than the sage green embroidery.

PS: I have OCD so everything has to match. It will make me nuts if it doesn't.

I understand the OCD thing, I've got it as well. But, I would reconsider having everything match. Interiors are much more interesting if you have come contrast..in colors, textures and materials. Otherwise it looks like a polar bear in a snow storm and everything just mushes together. Your tastes and current bedding sound more traditional. I'd paint the walls/ceiling ivory to match the background in the bedding. Trim I'd paint a slightly darker taupe color (make sure it's not a pinky brown). Then I'd go to the home improvement store, buy some small trim and inset panels onto the walls, paint the trim taupe. Inside the panels I'd do the accent color, either the sage green or french blue in a shade or 2 darker than the bedding color. That way it will pop against the ivory wall. If you have a little texture on your walls, it's easy to get a faux look without buying any expensive Ralph Lauren stuff. Paint the background one color, let dry, then the 2nd coat paint a shade 1 to 2 shades darker, while wet, wipe off most of the paint. What's left will settle into the crevices and give a bit of a Venetian plaster look. You can add or take away as much of that 2nd coat as you like.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Probably not remotely what you're looking for, but I ran across this one a couple of days ago and was reminded of it by your description of your colour choices.

Makes me want to paint a tree somewhere in the house.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

If it's too matchy it'll look dorky.

You want to get stuff that compliments, plays off of, or even contrasts for it to pop.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Probably not remotely what you're looking for, but I ran across this one a couple of days ago and was reminded of it by your description of your colour choices.

Makes me want to paint a tree somewhere in the house.
    I positively love the tree that's painted behind the bed. I wonder if that's someone's really good painting skills or if it's something else.

I agree about the matchy-matcy thing. That was our comprise on the accent wall because I would have just painted the accent wall sage green like everything else. I was even thinking of wainscoting because there are several textures like that in bedroom furniture, but I figured it would look like the room was way over done. I'm still not sold on the bedding set I have now ... I think I'll take a ride over to the store that I bought it from and look for something else.

I will say that I'm trying to get rid of everything matching in my house ... almost every room is sage green and some have an accent color as purple. We bought new family room furniture about 18 months ago ... it's bomber leather jacket looking, but made with microfiber. I bought abstract paintings (which I love) with colors I never would have bought before. I have a "slight" safari look going on ... a very large table statue with an elephant, rhino, lion and giraffe. I also have a large elephant statue that sits on the shelf below that room's console table (the first thing you see when you walk down the stairs). Someone needs to rip the OCD right out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    If it's too matchy it'll look dorky.

You want to get stuff that compliments, plays off of, or even contrasts for it to pop.
    I wish I could do this, but I'm a wimp. I love it when other people do it and it looks eclectic but all pulled together. I saw the pictures of your home and I love the look of most of it ... just not brave enough.

I also found a few mural stickers that would work very nice above my bed. I never even thought of that, Twitchy, so thanks! I had two pieces of abstract wall art (again in the same colors, but different design) picked out for that, but I love that tree look so much that I think it will be awesome and very different than anything else in my house. Not that many people go in my room, LOL. Now I'm looking at other murals to put in my skinny foyer, where you either go up or down, so I could have branches trailing up and down.

You don't have to go crazy with eclecticism or anything. You can have stuff that goes together for the most part but stick 1 or 2 items in the room that contrast nicely but fit in.. conversation pieces.

A wall motif (wall sticker) or a different looking lamp.. or a piece of art.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I wish I lived near you-that tree would be a snap to do, you should try it-just takes a bit of nerve.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm having an attack right now.
    sputnik and Flygirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I'm having an attack right now.
    *swats chalet*
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

A*O

Any chance of posting a pic? You don't have to give your address or SS number or anything LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

uh, do you really want to paint your walls to match your bedding exactly? what if you decide you want to change the bedding set and then your walls won't match?
    i agree with grimm, paint it an ivory colour to match the background in the bedding but then still allows you to change the bedding if you get sick of it to something different that matches the ivory but at least you won't be a slave to the sage green and blue.
    also, no offence, but i absolutely abhor wall treatments, and especially ones with 2 different colours of paint. they never look good.

and i understand you have ocd and all that but yeah, you don't want to go too matchy-matchy, that's just dorky. and fug.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Bronze Member

Hi, new here America and I am just trying to decor my bedding with white colour, any idea?
    Kassatex online USA http://www.zuhni.com/kassatex

Well, start off with white. Hehe!

Don't forget to throw in 2 accent primary color pieces. A patterned photo on the wall would look nice too.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

I will always wonder how they find us.

If Nevan reads this, I know exactly why I wrote what I wrote. Whether the design inquiries were written in an email (as in the first post), asked face to face or in a phone conversation, my reaction would be the same - my brain cells would have shut down. I put things in list form, so I would have extracted each request first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information