Thread: A hotel made of stacked-up homes in the Netherlands

Default A hotel made of stacked-up homes in the Netherlands

Meta-Housing: Super-Sized Hotel Made of Stacked-Up Homes

Avante garde architectural, ostentatious art or an eyesore? Cool conversation piece, creative but cliche or downright kitsch? This new hotel in the Netherlands has sparked a great deal of conversation by using the traditional form of regional homes and cottages in a surrealistic stack (some even seeming to sit sideways or upside-down) as part of a relatively huge city-central structure.

The Inntel Hotel (design by Molenaar & Van Winden Architecten + WAM Architecten, images by Roel Backaert) features 160 rooms and sits 11 stories high, towering over much of its surroundings and sticking out for miles around – for better or worse – from its urban landscape. From their overall forms down to the white and green facades, wood-carved decor and window treatments, the component ‘houses’ in the design were patterned after actual conventional structures in the area.

The construction involves timber framing and concrete-panel facades, which of course are concealed as part of the overall aesthetic strategy outside the boutique hotel areas. On the street level, the forms morph to become more modern and accommodate public pedestrian walkways, rail transit paths and other people-friendly elements more suited to contemporary city needs.

Postmodernism in architecture was short-lived in most ways: packed with cliche historical references and kitsch appropriations of decorative traditions, most found that new references to old aesthetics lacked connection to our current age. Something about this building seems different, however, though only time will tell – and by calling it Fusion Architecture its creators are setting the stage to make it shift discussion away from the failures of earlier Postmodern architectural theories and designs.
    Meta-Housing: Super-Sized Hotel Made of Stacked-Up Homes « Dornob

I can't tell if these are real photos or models/cgi. Something about them looks fake.

I think it's wonderful. So many buildings lack imagination and charm, and there is nothing wrong with a little color.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Love this! Very creative, at last.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hideous, quirky, but a conversation starter
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Cute!!!!!!

its a drawing.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Interesting......

I'd kinda freak out being in the areas that are sticking out though...I would have that 'there's nothing under there to support me' thing going, which I know isn't true, but still.

The development’s continuation above the provincial road and railway means that it also interconnects the urban districts on either side of this infrastructure. The new hotel is an important building block, the first structure to be completed within the Inverdan plan. Providing 160 guest rooms, the hotel also offers a bar-restaurant, a swimming pool, and a wellness centre with a Finnish sauna and a Turkish bath. The conference accommodation is being built above the provincial road and is set for completion in autumn 2010. The hotel tower, with a footprint that is well-nigh square, is almost forty metres tall and has eleven floors. Constructed of timber and Eternit fibre cement cladding, the edifice is expressive, with varied fenestration, wide cantilever sections, cornices and elegant white coving and barge-boards.

Stacked houses hotel > Dutch > Design > Fashion > Architecture

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

I wouldn't stay there. Idk but it looks like it will fall apart or something
    Somebody blow Mel Gibson Already- Michael K

Thread Information