Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your House

Default Your House

I'm hopeless at searching for threads, so I hope something like this doesn't already exist and died a fast death...

But I'm curious. I thought we should have a thread to talk about our houses, apartments, etc. Post pictures of rooms we like, or features, even if you wish. (I realize that idea won't appeal to everyone) But I have a question to start off with;

Do you LIKE where you live? I know for most people "Home Sweet Home" couldn't be more true (I'm definitely one of those people) but I know there are people who dream of being somewhere else. You can mention this too; your ideal house.

I guess my question here is how comfortable and satisfied are you in your house. Whats the best and worst thing about it?

For me,

Best - it's big (because my family is), so if i want to hide from family members, it's easily done
    Worst - if you need to find family members in a hurry, good luck
    Full house clean day haha.
    WINDOWS!

There's more to these lists, but that's just an example.

You can talk about your favourite rooms, rooms that get neglected (i have a storage room that could feature on "Hoarders", bleeghh)

Basically, anything about your house. What you'd do with it if you could afford to, or had the time to.

I get curious reading people's replies in the other house threads and wonder what everyone else's house is like. So you get the point of what we're doing here.

Share, or lurk!...

Best thing about my apartment: It's a studio & it suits most of my present needs. It also comes with an assigned parking spot, so I don't have to search for parking. But every once in a while somebody will park in my spot and I have to make them move.

Worst thing about my apartment: It becomes a furnace during the summer, because it's in an old brick building and it traps heat. Regardless of how hot it is outside it's always hotter in my apartment.

Overall, I like my apartment because it's in a diverse neighborhood & it's located near most of the major highways and major stores.

I have a tiny little house, but its on the cusp of a really great area! When I bought it three years ago it was a complete mess and had to e remodeled from top to bottom; roof, windowns, doors, plaster, plumbing, electrical, bathrooms, kitchen, floors, insulation, etc. I will post pix later when I get home to take a few! I love it now!

I love my house. I don't plan on moving until I get too old to live here anymore. It's 4 bd, 4 bath on a 1/2 acre, but built in the late 70's so the updating never ends.

Last year, I redid the living/dining room and the bedrooms. I also love our main bath, that we redid a few years ago. We put in this great spa tub, and new tile, vanity, sink, etc...

We always have unfinished projects/works in progress. Right now, we replaced the doors upstairs but need to finish all the trim. The hardwoods in the kitchen/entry/bath need refinishing. We also need vinyl siding. We are having a woodpecker problem at the moment. Oh, and the deck needs replacing, and I would love one of those low maintence decks, cuz it's huge 800 sq ft, and to wash/stain it is a bitch. I also have this brick patio that I hate and it sucks, but I can't rip it out until we decide what we are doing with the deck.

Our garage and storage room are always a total disaster. Lack of time is our real problem. We never have a free weekend to sort through and clear out this stuff.

i was lucky to find my place 3 yrs ago, on, get this......Craigslist. It kept showing up in my searches for a place to live so i took it as a sign.

its up in the mountains to the east of San Diego. Way off the freeway, small town. No street lights, no traffic. Its a one bedroom apt above its own garage.its got a deck surrounded by Pine trees, and my own driveway. Its small, but i love small places. They will have to destroy the home, and burn down the trees to get me out of here. This is where i have come to die.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I live in one half of a duplex that my parents own. I moved in after the birth of my son when my parents decided to downsize. It is about 2200 sq ft finished with 4 bedrooms and 3 baths. It is in a great school district.
    LIKES: 1) There is an adjoining door so that we don't have to go outside to visit eachother. Also when I go out, I can just leave my son home with grandparents next door and it is just like being a room away in a big house. 2) My master bedroom/bathroom/walk in closet (need I say more). 3) It is in a much nicer area than I could afford to buy into. 4) I can watch out for my elderly/ailing parents easily.
    DISLIKES: 1) Living with my parents and everything that entails...no privacy, the WHOLE family knows all of my and my son's business (I am a very private person). 2) I live on a busy street.

All in all, it is a great arrangement for now. When my parents pass away (not in any hurray), I will buy my own home - which is the one goal in life I haven't accomplished yet.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I live in a 1300 Sq. ft, 2bdrm 2ba townhouse, that has a little loft area. I like that it's all usable space. I hate that we don't have a w/d connection, that's hell. And I'm also not fond of the living room ceilings, they are 17ft high, which means lots of unreachable spiderwebs, and lots of echo.

Hate it. Small, old, dirty, have to restart the water heater every time you take a shower, overpriced (that's what you get in a beach city), manager never takes care of shit. No dishwasher.

Attached walls and ceiling, surrounded by large families with young children that scream all the time and make faces at me. Trash and recycling dumpsters always full and stalked by raccoons. People leave tvs, mattresses, etc. next to dumpsters and they don't get picked up for weeks and grow mold. Community coin-operated washers and dryers smell bad, eat your money, and are broke half the time, but they're the cheapest in town.

Parking lot is small and half the people double-park with their ginormous SUVs or broke-down pickups. At least they've stopped parking in hub's and my spots, with the exception of visitors.

Uh, plusses. We have a yard (neighbors will through their aerosol cans/cigarettes/soda cans/kids toys in it). It's relatively large for the price (because of the shitty area). Neighbors now are calmer than previous neighbors (we've lived here for 2 years). College students/graduates have mostly been replaced by Mexican families.

STORIES!

To tell the truth, I kind of miss the drama. The first upstairs neighbor was stoned off of something all the time. Apparently, before we lived here he would wander into our living room and think he was in his own apartment, and just chill until someone kicked him out. Meth was said to be involved. After that were some more college students who were only there for maybe 2 months. They may have been dealers. Lots of parties at random hours. I'd hear them partying till 3 and then get up at 7 the next day and start again. I heard they got kicked out for not paying rent.

After that, was an artist/dealer and his girlfriend and varying roommates of all ages. They grew and sold lots of pot and occasional salvia (legal here) and hallucinogens. The cops and rival dealers would break into their house and slice up their furniture looking for drugs/money. One time the cops came to bust everyone and the girlfriend jumped down from the back porch to hide in our back yard. She was due to visit her probation officer. The next day they moved out secretly and left half of their furniture in our front yard, never to be seen again. We took the furniture we liked and the rest had to be removed by the management. They had to add additional bullet points to everyone's rental agreements because of that situations - no furniture allowed in front yards.

fgg

^^time to fucking move!

We've got a one-year contract. It ends on July 31, so we should be able to move then, but with a college town, all the students get the new fall apartments first. Still, I hope we can find a new apartment cheaper, smaller, and cleaner. I'm not sure about the location, though.

I love our house. Have been here 3 years now. Everything brand new and works beautifully. It is wide open, high,high ceilings and stone tile in warm tone-even the showers & tubs have it . I never get tired of it. Windows are high,start foot from floors to foot from ceilings. My Virginia creeper has covered the bricks in back and red roses grow front & back, blooming 9 months if the year. One street over from the lake. Didn't even realize it when we bought. Can't see it-those houses back up to it. Lots of trees, birds and we can hear coyotes howling at night. On my way to the stores & right around the corner, I pass by a field of baby goats to the right, 2 horse mamas with babies to the left! It restoreth my soul.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I live in a small ranch style home completely devoid of any character but it's perfect for a rental home (which is what I want to turn it in to eventually). I love how it's decorated and I love the updates that my hubby and I made to it...they were cheap but they make the home look slightly more upper-scale. I also like the size. It's small but I think it's the perfect size for me and my hubby. I like that the neighborhood is pretty quiet. But the very best part of all is that we got a steal of a deal on the house.

As far as dislikes are concerned, I don't like how far away it is from town. It takes at least 15 minutes to get anywhere and 30 minutes to get to my parent's house. I hate the yard. It's full of rocks and I just hate gardening. I wish it was all pavement. Finally, did I mention it was a boring ranch style home? I wish it had more character. Hopefully our next home will be closer to my parents house and a wee bit cuter.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I love our house. Have been here 3 years now. Everything brand new and works beautifully. It is wide open, high,high ceilings and stone tile in warm tone-even the showers & tubs have it . I never get tired of it. Windows are high,start foot from floors to foot from ceilings. My Virginia creeper has covered the bricks in back and red roses grow front & back, blooming 9 months if the year. One street over from the lake. Didn't even realize it when we bought. Can't see it-those houses back up to it. Lots of trees, birds and we can hear coyotes howling at night. On my way to the stores & right around the corner, I pass by a field of baby goats to the right, 2 horse mamas with babies to the left! It restoreth my soul.
    What I really want to know is: How big is your closet..really. Square footage wise. How many closets do you have in your master bedroom suite?

Not knocking it..just curious. What color of roses do you have and what color of brick is the house? Probably looks very beautiful.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I bought my flta in july last year, and I love it.
    It's a flat on the groud floor of a small house, which was divided into 3 appartments. My neighbours are really sweet, and not noisy at all, and that's a veeeeeeeeeery good point.

I had an awful lot of work done, now I'm completely broke but it was totally worth it.

It's a 50mē flat, with two bedrooms, a nice living room and a nice kitchen. The bathroom (in which the toilets are) is reaaaaaaaaaaally small but I love it (I never thought I could live in such a small bathroom !)

On the plus side :
    It's very well located, 10 mn from Paris, and I only have to walk 5 mn to get to the RER (I'm a huge idler !)
    Because of all the work I needed to have done there, it's totally what I wanted : kitchen, bathroom, floors, the colours and all, I got to choose everything, so that's really MY flat, MY taste there ^^
    And since we've hammered down some walls to rebuild them, I've got really big closets in my bedroom, and one in the hall for my shoes :p (and bags !)

Bad sides : there's a lot of traffic in my street, hopefully I've got good windows but when I open them it can get really noisy.
    And actually I'd like to live in a house, in a quiet area, have a garden, maybe trees you know ... but it's too expensive for me, maybe when I have a rich husband ...
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I love my flat except for the wall. When I drill a hole in it sand comes out along with the nail or the screw. It's really bloody annoying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information