Thread: A Collection of Amazing Chair Designs

Default A Collection of Amazing Chair Designs

Seating Spectres

(images via: Dezeen)

It’s not easy to design a chair that both grabs attention and looks like it isn’t there at all. Design Drift presented their “Ghost Chair” collection in 2008: the furniture is made of clear plexiglass with laser-formed ghostly shapes inside each piece. In the right lighting, the plexiglass forms are invisible, and all one can see is the organic shapes inside which appear to be made of motionless smoke.
    Furniture That Makes a Splash

(image via: Yanko Design)

Designer Michael Wendel was inspired by macro photographs of liquid droplets that looked comfortable enough to nestle into. He took this kernel of an idea and turned it into a human-sized liquid droplet lounge chair. The painstaking process of making a scale model, plotting the full-size version, and building the chair layer by layer was obviously worth it, because the finished product is a stunning and impressive work of modern furniture art.
    Roll With It

(images via: Dornob)

Furniture that seems to defy gravity is always amazing, and this transforming chair from Uros Vitas is no exception. The wooden slats are held together with bands of metal that allow the chair to be rolled up when not in use. When the chair is in its fully extended position, it seems to magically hold itself there with no support other than the thin metal strips.
    Duck! It’s a Lounge Chair!

(images via: I New Idea)

For people with exceptionally long legs, or for those who just like to stretch out, the Ducking Lounge Chair has more than enough room. Resembling both a duck’s open bill and a swimming pool’s diving board, this unique chair provides just enough “give” to be comfortable without toppling over.
    Ruby Rocks

(image via: Ruby Rocking Chair)

Designed to both resemble and pamper the human body, the Ruby Rocking Chair includes water-filled “smart pillows” to cushion the back and bottom. The cushions are available in different sizes to fit every body type, and they help keep the skin cool in warmer environments. The chair’s designer, Pouyan Mokhtarani, wanted to create a piece of furniture that would offer unparalleled comfort, and he claims that sitting in it once will make you feel like you can rule the world.
    Chairchitecture

(image via: Klick_It)

Designed by legendary architect Frank Gehry, the Cross Check armchair was inspired by the woven apple crates Gehry used to play with as a child. The smooth, flowing lines of the interwoven lightweight maple strips make this chair seem more delicate than it actually is.
    Monster Chair Hacks

(images via: Tricky)

Old office chairs just seem to have monster-sized personalities – at least that’s what one artist thought. These conceptual office chair hacks take a staple of the furniture world – the classic Eero Saarinen office chair – and turn it into a fun and hilarious new product using the pre-existing characteristics.

Sit on It! 15 (More!) Marvelously Modern Chair Designs | Design + Ideas on WU

(Images: via atelier blink / Luxist)

If you like close-fitting decor, the Octopus Chair and the Buldang should prove a deliciously comfortable experience – as long as you don’t have a phobia of cephalopods or pythons, that is.

(Images: via Design Milk / the nest store / CWG Design)

Here’s a set of chairs that look determined to return back to Nature as quickly as possible. On the left, the Chair of the Rings looks like it’s springing apart in an orderly fashion – while on the right, Pablo Renoso’s Spaghetti Wall Small appears to be turning into a vine before your eyes. Occupying the middle ground, the Aspen Chair seems largely content with the ‘chair’ part of its name…apart from a little sneaky growing going on around the top.

(Image: via Jane Hamley Wells)

As Matthew Kroeker sees it, people are just a collection of chairs, trying to find the other chair that fits them so exactly that they make a bench together.

(I like this one. It looks like it crawled out of a horror manga).

(Image: via JGreen Design)

Two parts velvet couch to one part arachnid, the Living Lounge Chair is crafted from micro-suede and poplar, and has an award-winning design that is guaranteed to be the centre of attention of any room. (Just don’t forget it’s there; it could give you a nasty
    20 Creative Modern Chairs and Chair Designs | Design + Ideas on WU
    Anti-Homeless Benches: Sit, Now Git!

(image via: Oh My News)
    Cities around the world have begun to make public seating uncomfortable – by design! The intent is not to annoy visitors to parks, trains stations and so on, but to discourage those who habitually use such seating for much longer than the usual few minutes. Take the fiendishly artistic bench above, located in Tokyo’s Ikebukuro West Park. Built from stainless steel, the bench gets hot in summer and cold in winter. Its rounded, smooth surface is slippery and anti-ergonomic. According to the local parks office, the benches are intended for short-term use and “people should take the utmost care when sitting on them.”

The Steel Bean Bag Chair: Heavy Metal Wonder

(images via: Bedzine and The Design Blog)
    Rick Ivey’s “1825″ steel beanbag chair displays the rough-edged, riveted look of an Industrial Revolution boilerplate steam engine – just the thing you DON’T want to sink into at the end of a hard day’s night. The $4,500 price tag, however, WILL make you weak at the knees.
    Oh Sit! The World's 13 Most Uncomfortable Chair Designs | Design + Ideas on WU

i love the milk-drop one

I actually love the ghost chairs...very cool!

Ok, just went to Design Drift to check out the price of the Ghost Chair...it's a "price upon request" item...wow, imagine how much it is if they won't even list the price on their own website!

fgg

i'd like to sit in the ruby rocking chair but i wouldn't want it in my house unless it felt absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Str8_uncut-jock View Post
    Ok, just went to Design Drift to check out the price of the Ghost Chair...it's a "price upon request" item...wow, imagine how much it is if they won't even list the price on their own website!
    I think most of these are designer/concept/art pieces. Out of most people's price range. Still, the purple one calls to me. It looks like a gorgeous slinking sculpture. Maybe it's just the lighting in the photo.

Most are pretty bad IMO. Some are interesting novelty types...but how many would you actually pay money for to place in your home and actually use?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

The majority of them are just dumb. Not practical, but probably
    more intended as objects d'art. Bad ones, at that.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Thread Information