Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A brownstone in Brooklyn

Default A brownstone in Brooklyn

[photo by emily gilbert] the sculpture over the fireplace, the dining table crafted from a fallen beech tree, and the hand-carved four poster bed – all made by fitzhugh karol, a woodworker and sculptor, and lyndsay caleo, a jewelry designer and goldsmith. they certainly are one majorly talented couple! the pair met at risd grad. school. in addition to their individual work, they collaborate on the interior planning and architectural design for the brooklyn home company (and fitzhugh create a sculpture for each project!) i now know whom to call when i get that brooklyn brownstone of my dreams (of course, i’ll just might need a fairy godmother first!) {thanks fitzhugh and lyndsay!} {and thanks to emily gilbert for the amazing photographs!} -amy a.
    [photo by emily gilbert]
    [photo above: We discovered the structural beams during demolition. Fitzhugh made the white, wood sculpture above the fireplace, the built-in bookcases, coffee table as well as the bar stools. Lyndsay found the Indian daybed at a salvage yard.]

[photo by emily gilbert]
    [photo above: The library ladder leads to one of the "guest-rooms." The large cage lights above the kitchen island were salvaged off of a freighter ship from India. Lyndsay and Fitzhugh made the dining table together from a fallen beech tree. The bookshelves house various collections which are constantly growing and being rearranged.]

[photo by emily gilbert]
    [photo above: Another angle of the dining table. The turned wood mirror was made by Lyndsay's father. The large ceramic form is by Toshiko Takaezu, for whom Fitzhugh was apprentice

[photo by emily gilbert]
    [photo above: Lyndsay searched ebay for weeks for a barn door to lead into the bathroom, and ended up finding one in the sheep run of Fitzhugh's family's farm in NH. After giving it some major TLC it found a new purpose.]

[photo by emily gilbert]
    [photo above: Natural light floods the bathroom through a floor to ceiling panel of sandblasted glass. After looking at every bathroom light on earth, Lyndsay found 2 picture lights that were perfect.]

[photo by emily gilbert]
    [photo above: We put a 9 foot extension on the garden and parlor floor and relocated the kitchen to the back of the house. The wall of double hung windows was sourced from a storefront window manufacturer. The vintage American Standard farm sink came from Northampton MA via Ebay. Fitzhugh made the Sapele island countertop with a slit for kitchen knives - an idea that Lyndsay got from a photograph of Terence Conran's kitchen. Olive the Norfolk Terrier is not usually allowed on the counter.]

[photo by emily gilbert]
    [photo above: We were lucky to have our property lined with trees including Magnolia, Dogwood and a huge Cherry tree. The reclaimed shelving came from a mill in Canandaigua, NY.]

[photo by emily gilbert]
    [photo above: Lyndsay originally had her studio on the garden level, but soon outgrew the space. We turned the parlor floor coat closet into the stairway and added a bathroom, a guest bedroom, storage, personal workspaces and a family room on the garden level. Fitzhugh made the Sapele stair treads. Above is a reclaimed beam that Fitzhugh sculpted into a Christmas present for Lyndsay.]

[photo by emily gilbert]
    [photo above: In the foyer is Lyndsay's carved wood and concrete table. The leather chairs are from American Leather. The opening to the right of the front door is where the parlor coat closet used to be and is now the stairway to the garden level. The floorboards were painted with a hard wearing floor paint.]

[photo by emily gilbert]
    [photo above: Fitzhugh carved the four poster bed from a Beech tree. The tall carved mirror is from the Wendell Castle Collection. The fireplace is original.]

[photo by emily gilbert]
    [photo above: Lyndsay got inspiration for the new guest-room from the inside of a ship's cabin. Fitzhugh made the built-in storage beneath the bed and the small side table. The new full guest bathroom is in the background. For bathroom fixtures, great deals can be found on floor models.]

[photo by emily gilbert]

[photo by emily gilbert]

[photo by emily gilbert]

Design*Sponge » Blog Archive » sneak peek: fitzhugh & lyndsay of the brooklyn home co.

Too much white for my taste but cute wooden touches. Looks like my old neighborhood and they went to my alma mater, so props.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

I like the wooden door. The rest is just too blindingly white.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

WAY too many shelves in that joint, and yes, too white. But liking it in some odd way. Hmmm....not sure why.

Too white.

Too white, I would love to run around in there with muddy boots and dirty hands, just to piss the bitch off
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

Really like it, white and all. It's a nice size space.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I like it a lot, some things I would change but if someone gave me the keys I'd be there in a second.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Ok.

YOU DO NOT TURN A FUCKING NEW YORK BROWNSTONE INTO SOME CRACKA ASS CRACKA WHITE RUSTIC PIECE OF SHIT

fuck!

CONTEXT, people!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i like it. it does needs some more modern touches to counterbalance the rustic-ness but that could easily be achieved by changing the sofas and chairs. love the dining room table with the white panton chairs.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I like it - yes, there is a lot of white but it feels like a lot of thought and love went into every piece there... it's endearing.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Hate it. It's like they destroyed all that is to be celebrated in a brownstone.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I actually like the white in this one...something about the juxtaposition with the dirty, dark streets lingering outside the front door.

Love this but would paint it with colors.

WAY too many shelves. and too much white
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information