Thread: A bungalow in the Netherlands

Default A bungalow in the Netherlands

dutch designer yvette laduk works and meets clients from her waterfront home, so she likes to joke that she lives inside her own portfolio. when she and her partner bas, a contractor, first found this bungalow in alphen aan de rijn, netherlands, they knew it had potential. with their combined design expertise, yvette and bas gutted and refurbished their new home to create a space that would be a beautiful for both living and working. the final result was a space with an open layout (that worked for their lifestyle) with a sleek yet playful feel that reflects yvette’s work and style. be sure to check out all 20 images after the jump and click here for additional and full-sized images. {thanks, yvette!} -anne
    [photography: henny van belkom / van belkom produkties. descriptions: simone van heiningen]

Louise Hederstrøm’s “Wire Tree” coat rack hangs in the home’s entryway.

The ‘Forever Flowers’ knitware on the large and smaller vase was designed by Yvette, while the knitted flowers were made by Yvette’s mother, Hilde Laduk.

The sofa was designed by Stephan Bleeker for Sur&Plus.

The dark wooden floors are made of burnished oak, which runs through the majority of the house. Yvette opted for a darker brown color to ensure warmth.

The hanging fireplace in the living room was designed by Kees Marcelis.

The low ‘cabinet’ below the flat screen TV is actually a radiator, designed by Yvette. “I want to combine form and function in my own work. I recently designed an air-conditioning system with units that look like huge table lamps, cut in half lengthwise and stuck against the wall.”

Yvette at work in her office- the lampshade was made based on one of Yvette’s own designs.

The hanging steel bed in the master bedroom is another of Yvette’s designs, made possible by Bas’s technical know-how. It is suspended from one of the supporting beams in the ceiling and safely secured in an exterior wall. “I love the famous floating bed designed by Dutch architect Janjaap Ruijssenaars that hovers over the floor by means of a magnetic field, but it costs over one million Euros! Still, I admire someone who designs something like that, knowing that he probably will sell only a few of them.”

The heated towel rail and ‘Woody Wood’ carpet were designed by Yvette.

Yvette designed the plant containers made from rusted steel to accommodate two cloud trees. The ‘Puppy Sit on Dog’ was designed by Eero Aarnio for the Me Too collection by Magis.

Design*Sponge » Blog Archive » sneak peek: yvette laduk

Wow, what a vacuous life (and home) one must have if every other third word in it is "design".

Despite all the effort she herself has put into it (including work of other
    designers, sigh) it's still bland, sterile, cold and proof that design is not
    necessarily aesthatically appealing.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I like parts of it but there's too much gray and not enough warmth, which I agree makes it cold and sterile. I would like it with some pops of color, like on the couch for example. Or that unfinished wooden birdhouse maybe. And the bed...looks 1) not very sturdy and 2) like it belongs in a prison cell. I do like the dog sculpture thing on the patio.

The biggest head scratchers are the vase cozies (wtf?) and that lighting fixture over the dining table. How can something be so big and ugly and yet totally underwhelming?

I like parts of it too, but certainly not all of it. Some interesting/very unique designs at work here....some notsomuch.

My senses have been assaulted.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I also feel violated. it's shite. and what the hell is that boom box purse thing about???
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I am glad she is happy with it, but not for me. Not even to visit.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The tub is giving me seizures.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

I really like this. It is sorta gray, but at least it's not oppressively white, so it doesn't bother me. I also like the quirky design choices... the tree coat rack, the knitted vases, the dog statue. These "weird" elements are few and far between so they don't give off a vibe of "I'm so artistic! Look at my weird stuff!"

I also like the variety of textures: stone, brick, wood, fabric.

I don't like the bedroom, however. Too...empty.

The outside: I do not mind it at all, except I really do not like the pollarded/butchered tree. I know that is more common in Europe, but it looks awful to me-just remove it and plant a smaller growing tree!

I like the canal-side ambience. And I like the look of the building itself, and the color scheme they chose.

The inside: There are parts I like, but many I do not.

The stupid inflated pillowcase chandelier?

The hideous prison cell bed and horrendous bathroom/tub thing? WTF were they thinking? Or..what drugs were they on?

I like a few things, including using some of the same orange/rust color inside as well as outside, and I like the rock/brick whatever wall in the dining area. And I like what little I can see of the kitchen-just needs a few more details.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

i love it. i would change the dining room chairs and the orange toilet and maybe the knit vase cosy thing but other than that, i think it's great. and i want that coat rack at the entrance. it's genius. love the stone bathroom too.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

For some reason I like the orange toilet. And I like the idea of rock in the bathroom, but the way they did it makes it look to me like some cheap animal/leopard print-just does not work for me.

The coatrack is kind of interesting. Would be cool if done if it was a neon coat tree in a basement rec room or neighborhood bar or something.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Two things stick out in this place to me...I love the floating bed and the fireplace!

Too warehouse.

blech, the decorating is horrid.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Thread Information