Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Home of photographer Rion Nakaya

Default Home of photographer Rion Nakaya

sneak peek: rion nakaya

uk-based photographer rion nakaya has a great eye when it comes to her work. i particularly love the way she captures people of all walks of life on the streets around the world. anyway, weíre so thrilled to have her for our first sneak peek of the day, proving her eye extends from her photographs to a great and welcoming interior. you can click here for additional and full-sized images. {thanks so much rion, and to sophie for the great tip!} -anne
    [above: I knew that we gravitate toward color themes, and group similar things to both organize and improve our small-ish spaces. But I never realized until looking at these photos, how graphic our our style is, with lots of typography, animal imagery, and small multiples... We framed the high-contrast, silk-screened music posters in white to complement the simple black and white forms of the Saarinen dining table from Knoll and DSR Eames chairs from Vitra. And of course, we love the bands and the companies who designed for them! These prints are a mix from Aesthetic Apparatus, The Heads of State, and The Small Stakes].

When I saw the hamster salt and pepper shakers at Aria in Islington, London, they immediately reminded me of the whimsical 1940s/50s ones that my Grandma had in her kitchen. Just down the road, I found the white vase at the Camden Passage antiques market.

The vintage poster was an old teaching aid used in French elementary schools. We bought it (and another) in a brocante near Butte aux Cailles in Paris. I found the mix of kidsí animal masks online and around London. The Sukie wrapping paper is camouflaging an Ikea glass display-top coffee table.

I found the steel typistís desk online from Pigeon Vintage, an antiques store in Brighton, UK. Originally from East Germany, the desk had been found in a warehouse in Belgium by the storeís proprietor before he delivered it to our flat in London. The rest of the desk area includes my grandfatherís Kodak Duaflex II twin-lens camera and my fatherís old Japanese Petri rangefinder camera, an Eames DSW chair from Vitra, as well as a letterpress drawer and some old wooden 7Up crates that I found at the Pasadena Rose Bowl flea market in the early 90s.

Taken on our wedding day, the two photobooth strips were an impromptu idea by our friend (and our wedding photographer) Raul Gutierrez, who art directed the eight rapid-fire frames in the small basement hallway at Bubbyís in Tribeca. The Eames rocker illustration is by Jen Renninger. The print on the right is a page from a Ladislav Sutnar-designed catalog, generously given to me by designer Elaine Lustig-Cohen when she closed her book shop, Ex Libris New York, in 1998.

I found the minimal wall clock at The Conran Shop in Paris. The Nesso table lamp is by Artemide. Feeding my love for typography, I found the PG-13 marquee sign in 2000 at the flea market on Grand and Broadway in NYC.

Our stairwell to the third floor has a skylight above it, providing great light for our old family photos, a few vintage illustrations, and other small prizes that weíd collected in NYC and Japan.

Our bedroom is like an Ikea ad. (Even the large homemade pillow cover was sewn with Ikea fabric!) But there are two rebel items here: the architecture-inspired pillow (on the left) by Germanyís s.wert design, and the screenprinted camera tour poster for R.E.M., found online at R.E.M.HQ: HOME.

I first saw the giant world map made of felt velcro pieces at The Conran Shop, and then with some detailed googling, found it on Amazon.co.uk for almost 25% less! Our son plays with the pieces daily, and itís truly amazing to watch as he learns different things with it from month to month. The rocker is Vitraís Eames RAR Rocking Chair. The trains are Brio. The eagle is Vilac.

Our childrenís book library is choc-full of classic stories, vintage books that my grandma, mom and I all read as kids, and much the retro illustration styles that have become prevalent recently. But the most popular illustrator in our house is contemporary: Marc Boutavant and his book Le Tour du Monde de MOUK is my sonís absolute favorite. Other favorites: the dinosaurs are by Schleich, the print is by Blanca Gomez, the magnetic wooden rocket ship is by Janod, and the dinosaur fabric is called Field Trip from Munki Munki.

I was thrilled to find the large silk mache whale at The Conran Store in Paris, just a few months before my son was born. It reminds me of Japanese craftwork, and has great scale and a whimsy that I love. The doll, hand-made with a Japanese fabric, is one of three beautiful Rosa Pomar dolls that weíve collected.

The large poster is one of two old teaching aids, used in French elementary schools, that we found at a brocante near Butte aux Cailles in Paris. This one hangs in our sonís bedroom as a memento of the city that he was born in. The toys are a mix from Kid O, Djeco, and Melissa and Doug among others. The hand-made doll is by Rosa Pomar.

As soon as we moved into our flat in London, we painted the open-style kitchenís one wall with chalkboard paint. Itís not only been fun for all of us to draw (and keep lists!), but when Iím stuck in the kitchen, Iím still able to spend time with our one year old as he draws whatever he can imagine! The bee, another favorite, is a Wheely Bug.

The side chair is from Sweden, circa 1954, and was bought at 2&4 Gallery in Islington, London. The pillow is by Donna Wilson. The toys were bought in Paris, with exception to the blue Kid O puzzle and the hand-made doll by Rosa Pomar.

Design*Sponge Ľ Blog Archive Ľ sneak peek: rion nakaya

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

retro funky, yet homey. He has my breakfast table! *squee*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

okay, i'm drooling over every single thing. loooooooooooove it! i want that felt world map...so freaking cool!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Despise nearly all of it.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

ugh. for a minute, i thought the kid on the floor was a rug.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Wall o'text should be outlawed. Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

That desk sure has a lot of drawers.

I love the whale and that world map in the kid's room is awesome.

I love it - I want all their stuff!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

That big kid sleeps in that baby jail?

That was my kitchen table growing up with the same chairs but on a swivel and in clear lucite.

Gold Member

I like some of it, but I could judge better if they'd have panned out and let us see full rooms instead of just random pics of furniture and vignettes. It's kinda hard to mentally put it all together.

All of it is hideous. It looks junky and there's too many pictures and crap on the walls. It would seem claustrophobic in there.

Those hamster salt & pepper shakers are money!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

SVZ

it looks like a home, not a catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    I love it - I want all their stuff!
    i feel the same. the hamster s&p shakers, the desk, the blue whale, the rosa pomar dolls (i need to google that - i want one too), the pillow with the owl on it in the last chair. they own a lot of cool stuff.

i also like seeing those crates. my parents, when they were younger, used to put wooden wine crates on top of each other and use that as storage space. fun memories.

Even though I wouldn't do the same with my own home, I love the way he's decorated his. Very creative and innovative.
    wait, did i miss something? who broke your wang?
    Keneesha when she banged it up a mango tree until I fainted.

Thread Information