Thread: One bedroom flat in Jackson Heights

Default One bedroom flat in Jackson Heights

sneak peek: elisa carlucci

besides having a gorgeous home, i was fascinated to learn more about elisa carlucci’s background and see all the influences in her life that have helped shaped her style. everyone on this site has a different story, so it’s always fascinating to me to see how people get where they are now. while studying illustration at parson’s (‘96), elisa discovered she was more interested in the frame than drawing what was inside of it. her first job after school (which started as an internship thanks to a professor, who is now a good friend and regular collaborator) was at tiffany & co where she learned all about form, proportion and design process. after 5 years it was time for a change and elisa moved to california to design decorative accessories for pottery barn. the job involved overseas travel all over asia (you’ll see some of the souvenirs that made it home). after 3 years of tough work, but great experience, it was time to head back to nyc to work for calvin klein home. while aesthetically wonderful, after her third corporation, she was ready for something different. these days elisa finds herself developing a product line with a great ny interior designer. so there you have it – an impressive resume for an impressive home. so don’t miss the entire sneak peek after the jump, and you can find additional images here. {thanks, elisa!} -anne

I bought a 1921 one bedroom co-op in Jackson Heights about 6 years ago when I came back from California. Living room- striped chaise is a 1930’s therapist chair that is covered in an antique Mexican rug- my first great piece I got from a dealer out of their loft. The X chair in front of the window is my work for the intrreior designer I work for now. This was a piece for the mass market line. I’ve bought alot off ebay, like the danish lamp on top of the bookcase. The glass top coffee table was a steal from Housing Works. The resin vase on the top of the bookshelf to the left of the chaise is something I picked up in a showroom in Hong Kong. The Olivetti Valentine was find at the Rose Bowl flea market in LA.

Dining Room- Verner Panton Light, Eames shell dining chairs. Lamp at end of console is vintage Laurel from a flea market in San Francisco. White consoles were meant to be temporary as I got them at Ikea. I changed the legs and 6 years later I still love them. Dining table is teak (Crate). Wood Sculpture on console in Dining room is by artist George Keller, Mosaic on wall in Dining is me.
    #gallery-1 { margin: auto; } #gallery-1 .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 20%; } #gallery-1 img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } #gallery-1 .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; }

Clock is Danish modern from 60’s, plaster sculptures are my work. Rama and Sita shadow puppets are from my travel to Indonesia (furniture factory visit). They are made of horn and water buffalo skin. I sat my piece upon a Barbara Hepworth book. She is one of my favorite sculptors along with Moore, Noguchi, Jean Arp, David Smith, Brancusi, and Picasso.

Curtis Jere “Raindrops” sculpture from early 70’s above couch. Lamp is Stiffell and table is a marble top sitting on a magazine rack. That table is one of my favorite pieces, and it just came together by chance.

Found the Lyre back bench at a flea market in Queens. (one of those shocking moments). It’s an American piece (many like it are French). I reupholstered the seat. It’s a tad tight in the foyer, but I do love it. The pictures above it are shots I took in the Czech Republic, Hong Kong and Japan.

The collection of Kokeshi dolls in the bookshelf is an example of my somewhat obsessive personality and my first trip to Japan to visit Ceramics factories. You know how it is with Japanese wooden dolls, you cant have just one! I’m somewhat addicted to wooden objects. I have them all over. A menagerie of Danish animals, one very special Japanese elephant, an Indonesian puppet, a wooden Cacoa pod from Venezuela, a wooden windmill with Don Quixote. The David Weeks Gorilla is probably the only new piece (some of these wooden pieces on the floating shelves in Dining Room). The red upholstered chair on the bookshelf is a model I made after college-just for fun. The “Mini-Mao’s” (bottom left on bookshelf with lamp) are ceramic figurines from Hollywood Road in Hong Kong.

Red makes it hard to place art, so I stick with alot of black and white. Mirror above bed is another design I did for the mass market line. Bedside tables and lamps are 1950’s.

Desk in bedroom is a makeshift work space where I can finish up plaster pieces. The 1950’s desk with matching chair was a steal from a flea in San Fran. I have a Sapien bookcase next to it. Bull drawing is from Spain, and Owl is Picasso.

Design*Sponge Blog Archive sneak peek: elisa carlucci
    Last edited by sputnik; March 30th, 2010 at 04:38 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I love this.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

this is quite nice...some if it is a little too much on the classy or traditional side of mid-cntury modern. i prefer the funkier stuff. but, it really is gorgeous. i have a similar bookcase in my kitchen for cookbooks...not the sapien, but a good knockoff & i love it.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Is the article sourced? I do not see it if it is??

I like it ok, except for the dining room chairs (I just hate those-just a personal disklike of mine) and the chandelier above them. They do fit with the room and the decor I will admit, I just do not like them.

Also, the color choices for the walls all seem a bit off-either a few shades too dark maybe, or just wrong like in the dining room, as that green is just awful. The other colors are ok, just a tad too dark-mostly with the gray, though.

I am glad that they did not go the 'all white, everything look' though.

It looks nice and liveable, like a real home that people actually live in. but just kept nice and tidy.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

^^
    sorry, i thought the link would appear when i pasted the article. fixed now.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The colors on the wall are too dark for the amount of light they get (except for the kitchen).. they could stay in the same family,. just go a number of shades lighter.

Otherwise, they have a lot of great pieces. I'd keep all the funkier stuff, ditch the froo froo and it would be perfect.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Nice apartment, minus the ugly furniture and paint job.

not liking the way its furnished. at all.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

It has some interesting, eclectic pieces in it. I like it.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I like the foyer. I wish I didn't know it was in Jackson Heights, a borough in Queens, NY, which is a pit.

I like some of the pieces, but it's too dark and stuffed.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Thread Information