Thread: Please help me decorate my family room!

Elite Member

Default Please help me decorate my family room!

We are doing a gradual makeover of our den/family room, and while I've decided on several things, I'm undecided about what type of window treatments would be best. The room is open to the breakfast nook/kitchen, has a fireplace at the end, one empty wall, and one wall with windows/door to porch. We have the big TV on the empty wall, and the sofa in front of the windows wall facing the TV. It's a small room, about 10x12. The paint is a soft tan/brown (Butte Rock by Benjamin Moore). We are getting a dark blue slipcovered sofa. We have two dark seagrass wing chairs from Pottery Barn on either side of the TV. We've got a new jute natural area rug coming from an online supplier. So the primary colors are sandy brown walls/dark blue slipcovered sofa with natural fiber chairs and rug. We have accented with red (trying to get our entire house theme to be shades of red and blue with neutrals), we have the Pottery Barn red pillows on the chairs and sofa. We also have this photograph framed sitting on top of the mantle that is primarily red

Bare Branches and Red Maple Leaves Growing Alongside the Highway Photographic Print by Raymond Gehman at Art.com

The other thing we have is a large tufted leather ottoman in a chocolate brown, between the sofa and chairs.

So, my question is about window treatments. We have white trim on the windows and it's nothing special. I think we'd like to go with something simple like a roman shade. I have thought about dark bamboo but I don't know if that would be too much natural fiber/brown for one room. We would have to do matching window treatments on the door to the porch, and the breakfast nook and kitchen windows since the rooms are all together almost like one big room.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing a fabric Roman shade on the windows, maybe in a cool red/blue on neutral stripe or something. I don't want to do plaid, that's what our window treatments are right now. If we did the stripe, we could also do a matching pillow to throw on the sofa. Unfortunately, custom window treatments cost a bundle so that is a drawback.

What do you guys think?

I like things simple myself. I like the idea of a roman shade in a neutral color.

^^^
    agree. the simpler the better.
    i hate complicated window treatments and especially having curtains that match cushions.

i like this:

and it looks fine with the blue furniture outside so i think it would look fine with blue furniture indoors.
    i personally hate matchy matchy window treatments where the fabric on the windows matches that on sofas or cushions but that's just me.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My dad has those exact doors leading out to his patio, sans window treatments and they do look pretty good.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Elite Member

I wish we had cool wood trim like that, but we have plain white trim on the doors and windows, and they don't even have cool wide molding or anything. Does that make a difference?

i don't think so. i would still go with blinds that were as sober and simple as possible, or else simple curtains on a curtain rod, something like this:

but i prefer simple blinds.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

Something tasteful and understated like this?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thread Information