Thread: Wayne Coyne's (Flaming Lips) psychedelic home

Default Wayne Coyne's (Flaming Lips) psychedelic home

I cannot even tell you how inspired I am by FitzSimmons Architects and the Flaming Lips. This unique space truly captures the spirit of The Flaming Lips and then some. Just like any other artistic expression that Wayne Coyne is involved in, this is visually magical. When you combine this talent with an architecture firm that “approaches architecture as a form of art, creating built forms and spaces that both inspire and serve as meaningful places of purpose” you end up with a masterpiece.
    Wayne’s wife, Michelle Martin-Coyne, was also very involved in the process of developing this space. A gifted artist herself, she is responsible for the majority of The Flaming Lips photography and has published a book of her photographs titled Placebo Head Wound that documents life with the Flaming Lips.
    The “Real” Flaming Lips’ Bathroom | Design Milk

This appropriately quirky residence and music studio is as free thinking and boundary pushing as the art and music of its occupants, the wife, a photographer and artist, and her husband, a rock music icon. The addition/renovation to their home is the central piece of a larger master plan developed for 6 adjoining properties in a blighted neighborhood of Oklahoma City. These properties, referred to as "the compound" for those familiar with it, are being transformed in stages.
    exterior before renovation:

exterior after renovation:

Phase one of the masterplan consisted of completion of two center pieces, allowing the remaining phases to happen organically over time between tours.

Centerpiece one is the Partial refinish of the main house, a 1930's Oklahoma Deco home, touted as the first fireproof home in the City, built from left over building materials of the original mason owner, and the complete renovation of the Multi-add-on garage, storage and above ground bunker, to become the current owners large family room, new master suite with the necessary mirror ball clad "dragon egg" sunken bathing pod addition, and provide general escape from the groupies and roadies who frequently overrun the compound.

Fitzsimmons Architects | Flaming Lips House

a video of wayne giving a tour of his home here: The “Real” Flaming Lips’ Bathroom | Design Milk

i love love love the exterior. and the fireplaces. and the bathroom. and the first room. the rest isn't really my style but it's awesome and i can't imagine wayne coyne living in any other type of house.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Weird, quirky and strange. I really like it. It would be fun to spend a couple of weeks in.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

fun to visit, don't want to live there.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Not psychedeic at all! Like living in a snow cone that forgot the flavour lol.

Now that would be psychedelic!

A*O

That ceiling fan is AWESOME. I want I want I want.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

this. is. brilliant.
    from the inside i'd describe it as troglodyte inspired/psychedelic/vintage-y looking.

I love that bathroom

I love this whole damn place...and yeah, that ceiling fan has my name engraved in it. I absolutely adore this home. Wish I had the money to do something even half as killer.

I'd probably put something more comfy in the fireplace room than wooden benches.. a circular couch would be awesome
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i am quite digging it. something about it is reminiscent of the MODE magazine offices set on ugly betty, which i love.

plus, it's wayne coyne's. he's super mega dreamy & makes awesome music. *fans self*
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I'd probably put something more comfy in the fireplace room than wooden benches.. a circular couch would be awesome
    yeah, that is pretty much my only qualm with this place. the cushions on the wooden benches are a little too crayola hippie.

Quote Originally Posted by ang View Post

plus, it's wayne coyne's. he's super mega dreamy & makes awesome music. *fans self*
    wayne is the hotness. and he seems like he'd be a lot of fun too.
    Flaming Lips' Wayne Coyne pictured in the bath on Google Streetview | News | NME.COM
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information