Thread: A 1908 cottage remodel

Default A 1908 cottage remodel

Pictured: The original woodwork in the 1908 Victorian-Craftsman hybrid, which served as a boardinghouse during World War II, was a major draw for the homeowners. They spent hours refinishing the oak floors and trim.

The dining room's recessed panel woodwork had to be refinished after the radiator incident flooded the room.

Before: Pantry

After: Laundry and Pantry

Before: Enclosed Porch

After: Enclosed Porch

Before: Kitchen

Before: Kitchen

After:

Floor Plans | A 1908 Cottage With Simple Elegance | Photos | Remodels | This Old House

Some of their wallpaper and paint colors are questionable, especially that stuff in the foyer and the gross orange in the laundry/pantry, but overall I do like.

i like it but some of the colors are pretty meh
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

czb

not thrilled with the foyer wallpaper or the craftsman-overload in the dining room, but overall this looks good.

I think they did wonders.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The afters are a huge improvement, but most of them are not my style. Still, they did a good job.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

cool

I hate when there's no counterspace immediately adjacent to the stove, it's stupid that they kept it that way.

And I love the wood but there's way too much of it in the dining room. It doesn't even look particularly nice, just monochromatic, even the dining table blends in.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I hate when there's no counterspace immediately adjacent to the stove, it's stupid that they kept it that way.

And I love the wood but there's way too much of it in the dining room. It doesn't even look particularly nice, just monochromatic, even the dining table blends in.
    I absolutely LOVE oak wood, and in a moderate stain(not too dark, not too light)..I LOVE that first pic(yeah I hate the wallpaper but still..the WOOD!) but even I agree that dining room has just too much wood! That just goes to show you that you can always have too much of a good thing. There is absolutely NO contrast..at all. They need something to play off of all that permanent woodwork! A carpet, painted furniture, something! (And this is from someone who worships oak wood.)
    Especially since the finish of the wood in the dining room appears darker than in the first pic, almost a spanish oak.

The finish of the wood in the first pic is ideal (to me)-I LOVE it. Almost like a honey oak or golden oak or something.

And I agree also..the stove needs counterspace adjacent to it! But shockingly for me, I do not mind the white cabinets(and I usually hate white cabinets, especially lower ones).

But overall, I Love this house!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Yeah I about creamed by panties at that first picture of the foyer and staircase I love that particular shade of oak too. Such a lovely rich, golden color on quality wood. Very homey and pretty.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Some of their wallpaper and paint colors are questionable, especially that stuff in the foyer and the gross orange in the laundry/pantry, but overall I do like.
    Agree. It's been done sympathetically but I don't like the too-dark dining room (looks unfinished) and the kitchen stove looks weird standing alone like that. I also love the couple's "natural" pose in the kitchen pic. Oh and I love the tiled kitchen floor. I don't like the copper rangehood/splashback when everything else is stainless steel.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thread Information