Thread: Any real estate agents? Or someone who knows about selling houses..

Default Any real estate agents? Or someone who knows about selling houses..

i am getting ready to sell my home and i was wondering what i should do to get the most money out of my home. its a very small home in charleston built in about 1980. there havent been many upgrades but it is still in good condition. we have already painted everything (walls, base boards, and ceilings) and we have ordered new flooring for the entire house. i am trying not to spend too much money but i know that the little things will get me more money. i think next we had talked about replacing the vanities in both bathrooms but i dont know if i would just be better off buying new fixtures and repainting the ones that are there.. if you have any advice please let me know. we ned to move in a hurry- we are seperating.

isn't that kind of fast? didn't you guys just break up a couple of weeks ago?

like a week and a half.. we want out. and we own the house that neither of us want.

well, i hope you'll be okay. i saw a decorating show that featured people who decorated their house to sell, and what changes the new people made. in this one show, the new people replaced all of the bathroom fixtures and cabinents.....which had been brought brand new by the people who wanted to move. the people were so pissed that they had spent their money just to find out the bathrooms were totally redone!

this house is the kind of house that people who are going to buy it probably arent going to do any work.. its an old small house. lets just say we bought it in hard times for less than 70k. i think all we really have to do is make it shine. give it a good scrubbing.. i want 100k for it.

I'm not a real estate agent, but there have been so many home improvement shows on TV here and they all say pretty much the same things:

1.) Neutralize the colors; repaint every room if you have to.

2.) De-personalize; take down photos, posters, etc.

3.) De-clutter.

i think we are all watching the same shows. i am not repainting.. most of my colors that we had done were light colors like greens and blues and they match with all of my home furnishings.. i think we will be ok. its all done in good taste.

I'm a picky house-hunter myself. When I'm looking at houses, I add up all the things I don't like about a house and add up how much it will cost me to change them. In the case of the house with the pink carpet...if we had made an offer, we'd have done so only after getting an estimate for re-carpeting the house, then knocking that figure off the price plus a little more as a punishment for choosing pink carpet. I suppose other people have done the same thing, which could explain why the house is still on the market six months later!

Personally, I'd rather invest in a bucket of paint than risking losing a sale because someone doesn't like green or blue. We're repainting our entire house in neutral colors...mostly cream, off-white, and khaki...in order to sell it. I like my red and cream study, but it's not for everyone...and if it means a quicker sale at a better price, I'll paint it myself.

A*O

I'm in real estate (not an agent) and DH's advice is good:
    De-clutter almost to the point of zen simplicity.
    De-personalise
    Neutral colours and walls and floors to create a 'flow'.
    Create distinct 'zones' for sitting, eating, kids, office, etc, even if it's one big room.
    No pets or children during viewings if possible (hide that kitty litter away too).
    Keep toys etc confined to kids' room.
    Clean, clean, clean - especially kitchen and bathroom(s).
    Clear kitchen worktops as much as possible.
    No laundry drying or piled on the ironing board (which should be hidden anyway).
    Some people set the table but I think that looks too affected.
    Windows should sparkle.
    Tidy up the garden/yard, especially at the front for 'street appeal'.
    Lots of Febreze!
    Put ALL the lights on for viewings, even during the day.
    If you have a working fireplace with real or fake fire, light it.
    If it's cold outside, put the heating on (not too hot).
    Immaculate beds and bedding (obvious but you'd be surprised how many people don't make the bed).
    Fix those things you never quite to around to - missing handles, frayed carpet, squeaky floorboard, wonky curtain rail, etc.

If there's a new housing development near you, go and visit the Show Home where you will see all these tricks and more on display.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

im not a real estate agent, but i took several modules in relation to it.
    1. A working heater/air conditioner is always good.
    2. Remove all the clutter/ personal items, no one wants to see your discoloured thongs.
    3. Clean the house, especially the floor. Waxing the floor can do wonders.
    4. Rearrange your stuff in a way which will make the place look more airy/bigger, switch on all the lights !
    5. A fresh coat of paint helps alot, as it can cover the spots/holes. Cream/white paint works best, or you can try soothing blue/lilacs.
    6. Clean the porch/ front, first impressions count.
    7. The sofa ... get it cleaned.
    8. The toilets and sinks... scrub scrub scrub.
    9. Use clorox on everything, it must look and smell new.
    selling your house is alot like selling stuff ... like a salesman. it helps alot if your house resembles a showroom. a paint job can really do wonders.

as the above poster has stated, store your stuff away! lie, hide, do anything to make your house look nicer !

the trick is to overwhelm your customers, give them more than what they expected, and they are wrapped around your little finger...

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Yeah I just became an agent a few days ago! YaY 4 me!!!!
    o and good luck w/ your selling

Silver Member

I am a real estate freak.
    As far as getting the most for your $$$, go through help u sell, commissions can eat up your profit. My apoligies to all RE agents out there...I will be licensed soon too!
    Or, get licensed before you sell to offset the commisions...

Thread Information