Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How have you decorated your house?

Default How have you decorated your house?

I vaguely remember there being a post a while back asking people to post pictures of how they've decorated their house. I can't seem to find the thread, though. I thought it would be fun to show people the style of your house and how you've chosen to decorate it (or at least discuss your decorating style if you feel uncomfortable about posting pictures).

I'll begin. I don't have any pictures to show at the moment but I might post some later. My fiance and I bought a tiny boring ranch style house that we eventually want to turn in to a rental. It's nothing fancy and since it's going to be a rental, we don't want to invest too much money in improvements (mostly just repairs and a few choice updates). I've decided to use a soft color palette to decorate the living room and kitchen. I painted the walls a seafoam green and the cabinets an offwhite color. The bedroom is a light blue and I have a fun pink room (with my pole). And Nick has his computer/reading room with absolutely no updates since he likes things boring. Anyways, I'll try to post pictures later.
    Beneath the sun of summer a sea of flowers won't bloom without the rain.

If it is going to be a rental, why not make it neutral colors? You don't know how the renter's furniture will fit with your colors.

Oh I definitely plan on painting it an off white, beige color when we make it a rental but we are going to live in it for three years beforehand (while we save up for a chunky downpayment on another house) and I refuse to live with beige walls. I had to do that growing up because I was a navy brat and we always lived in navy housing.

Quote Originally Posted by atrayubrandy View Post
    Oh I definitely plan on painting it an off white, beige color when we make it a rental but we are going to live in it for three years beforehand (while we save up for a chunky downpayment on another house) and I refuse to live with beige walls. I had to do that growing up because I was a navy brat and we always lived in navy housing.
    Oh OK. Then it sounds good to me.

Here is a before and after picture of my kitchen.

By the way, my fiance thought it looked great with the cheap 70's laminate wood. Ew.

Luckily, he didn't get his way and I painted the cabinets off white and the walls the sea foam green. Notice the beautiful roses that he bought me because I was sick. :-)

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I like the lightness of the after pic. As long as your happy, that's all that matters!

I rent too, so I'm not able to decorate and paint my house the way I want to. But if I had my way, the walls would be a light peachy, creamy color. It's warm and inviting imo.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

huge improvement, looks really nice, amazing what some paint can do.

I agree, big improvement! The new cabinet hardware looks nice too.

I've been wanting to paint my crappy wood kitchen cabinets for years, but never had the nerve. Maybe this will inspire me.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I feel compelled to warn you it was a pain in the ass to do. There's a lot of sanding and then priming. Then, I bought Dutch Boy paint (which made a horrible splotchy mess). So there was more sanding and priming. Then I got Behr paint and everything turned out great.

I'll take some pictures of my 80's bathroom makeover some time soon. I'm very proud of it. It isn't complete, though. I still haven't changed the handles on two of the drawers because after working on the kitchen I know how difficult it is to drill two perfectly aligned holes for the drawer handles.

My friend recently gave her kitchen a makeover - she has sort of wood cabinate & stained them a cherry colour... apparently it looks great (haven't seen it yet).

I love the seafoam colour in your kitchen & it looks so much lighter in there. Are you happy with it?
    Free Charmed.

I am happy with it. I think if I was planning on living here permanently, I would have done a few things differently. As the situation stands, I just wanted to make the space livable while spending as little as possible.

I still have quite a bit of decorating to do throughout the house but it seems to be coming along nicely. The only thing I'm really having trouble with is the outside. I have no interest in gardening and the front and backyard are in desperate need of landscaping. I have a plan but I haven't made any efforts to carry my plan out. :-)

I think that can be said for most things on a way; I have a suspisious that you might choose to invest in a new range of units? But even without them it looks great!

I think I've had 5 kitchen that colour green.... I'm a bit of a sucker for that colour in kitchens! LOL! We have an old cottage, so our kitchen has tiny windows but we have vaulted, beamed ceilings, it makes it so much lighter. MrN bought & installed an oak kitchen before we met, so I'm kind of stuck with that but I've made him change the tiles when we bought a new aga so they both a cream colour to help with the light issues.

There are a couple of things I'd love to do (move that sink, install a dishwasher & change the worktops) so I understand your frustrations!
    Free Charmed.

A*O

The kitchen makeover proves what a transformation new/painted doors/drawers and handles can make. It looks like a new kitchen for a fraction of the price.

I'm afraid that when it comes to rentals then neutral is the way to go. If you put too many "unique" touches in there it will scare potential tenants off as they are a pretty conservative bunch as a whole and too much colour scares 'em! I think a pink pole room might worry them too!!! Neutral also means they can put in their furniture without worrying about hideous clashes. I get around it in my rental property by having neutral walls but put in lots of colour with pictures, rugs, cushions, blinds, etc - all of which can be removed if necessary.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

It looks really good now

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The kitchen makeover proves what a transformation new/painted doors/drawers and handles can make. It looks like a new kitchen for a fraction of the price.

I'm afraid that when it comes to rentals then neutral is the way to go. If you put too many "unique" touches in there it will scare potential tenants off as they are a pretty conservative bunch as a whole and too much colour scares 'em! I think a pink pole room might worry them too!!! Neutral also means they can put in their furniture without worrying about hideous clashes. I get around it in my rental property by having neutral walls but put in lots of colour with pictures, rugs, cushions, blinds, etc - all of which can be removed if necessary.
    Oh yes. Like I said, I plan on repainting the house a neutral color when we move out. But it will be a few years until we do that and since it only takes a day (and $40) to paint a room I figure there is no reason why I have to be stuck with boring while I live there. The pole is definitely not staying in the room once I rent the house. That sucker was expensive and is going with me. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information