Thread: Awesome gadget to keep bugs / mosquitoes away outdoors

Default Awesome gadget to keep bugs / mosquitoes away outdoors

I bought this at the grocery store and it works like a dream! I'm always studying outside on the patio and I was getting eaten alive by bugs. But this thing has helped so much. The smoke doesn't smell at all- but it does smoke a lot so some people might not like that.

The lantern was about $13, and the refills are $5 for 3 pads and tea lights.

Off! PowerPad Outdoor Lantern

About it:

Repels mosquitoes from an average size deck/patio
    One tiny PowerPad® mat repels annoying mosquitoes from up to 15ft x 15ft – an average patio or deck. Compare that to just one sq. ft. from a citronella candle. Simply activate the pad by lighting the candle and enjoy proven protection from mosquitoes.

The Lantern is similar to the Lamp, but includes a convenient 4-foot pole so that you can place it anywhere in your yard.

Protects an area up to 15x further than citronella candles or buckets
    The heat from the candle activates the repellent pad, releasing proven protection from mosquitoes. In fact, there’s more repelling power in one little pad than 15 citronella buckets combined!

Refillable
    Each candle + pad combo provides up to 4 full hours of protection. Each refill pack contains three pads and three candles, providing up to 12 total hours of repellency per pack.

Relightable
    Relightable! The candle and repellent pad are designed to work together. So if the candle is extinguished, simply relight the candle to reactivate the repellent pad. When not in use, please follow the proper storage instructions. Prolonged storage of repellent pads in outdoor conditions may decrease effectiveness.
    OFF! PowerPad Outdoor Lanterns for mosquito and insect protection-OFF!®

The only downside is that the heat pads burn through pretty quickly. I may get 3 nights out of one- if I'm outside for 2-3 hours at a time.

Awesome - I just bought the last one from my local drugstore. Glad to know it works. I'm so tired of getting bitten to death on my deck.

god knows what you're breathing with all the fumes.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Now if they only made something to keep away the damned spiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    god knows what you're breathing with all the fumes.
    Good point- I decided to research it. The only chemicals it says it has in it are d-cis trans allethrin and Bitrex.

Bitrex (Denatonium):
    Wiki says is 'the most bitter chemical compound known to date' and 'Denatonium salts are usually colorless and odorless solids but are often traded as solutions. They are used as aversive agents to prevent accidental ingestion. Denatonium is used in denatured alcohol, antifreeze, nail biting preventions, animal repellents, liquid soaps, and shampoos. It is not known to pose any long-term health risks.'

d-cis trans allethrin / Allethrin:

'Allethrin is used almost exclusively in homes and gardens for control of flies and mosquitoes, and in combination with other pesticides to control flying or crawling insects. The purified d-trans-isomer of allethrin is more toxic to insects and is used for control of crawling insects in homes and restaurants.

Allethrin is a synthetic duplicate of a component of pyrethrum. Pyrethrum is a botanical insecticide extracted from chrysanthemum flowers. Allethrin, the first synthetic pyrethroid, was introduced in 1949, and is a mixture of several isomeric forms.'
    Allethrin

It says Allerthrin has no known carcinogenic effects, so thats good.

A*O

We have a similar thing here under a different brand name. Basically the candle heats up the pad that contains the chemicals. They work OK especially if you put one on the ground nearby as a lot of mozzies go for the ankles!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

"Acute toxicity: Allethrin is slightly toxic by dermal absorption and ingestion. Short-term dermal exposure to allethrin may cause itching, burning, tingling, numbness, or a feeling of warmth, but not dermatitis [2]. Exposure to large doses by any route may lead to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hyperexcitability, incoordination, tremors, convulsive twitching, convulsions, bloody tears, incontinence, muscular paralysis, prostration and coma. Allethrin is a central nervous system stimulant. Heavy respiratory exposure caused incoordination and loss of bladder control in mice and rats [2]. The toxicity of allethrin varies with the amounts of different isomers present. The oral LD50 for allethrin is 1100 mg/kg in male rats, 685 mg/kg in female rats, 480 mg/kg in mice, and 4290 mg/kg in rabbits [12,7]. For d-allethrin the oral LD50 is 1320 mg/kg in rats. The dermal LD50 is greater than 2500 mg/kg in rats [12,19].
    • Chronic toxicity: Not Available
    • Reproductive effects: No data are currently available."
    Source

I'll pass.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

We have one of these and it didn't really work too well for us. We were still getting eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    "Acute toxicity: Allethrin is slightly toxic by dermal absorption and ingestion. Short-term dermal exposure to allethrin may cause itching, burning, tingling, numbness, or a feeling of warmth, but not dermatitis [2]. Exposure to large doses by any route may lead to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hyperexcitability, incoordination, tremors, convulsive twitching, convulsions, bloody tears, incontinence, muscular paralysis, prostration and coma. Allethrin is a central nervous system stimulant. Heavy respiratory exposure caused incoordination and loss of bladder control in mice and rats [2]. The toxicity of allethrin varies with the amounts of different isomers present. The oral LD50 for allethrin is 1100 mg/kg in male rats, 685 mg/kg in female rats, 480 mg/kg in mice, and 4290 mg/kg in rabbits [12,7]. For d-allethrin the oral LD50 is 1320 mg/kg in rats. The dermal LD50 is greater than 2500 mg/kg in rats [12,19].
    • Chronic toxicity: Not Available
    • Reproductive effects: No data are currently available."
    Source

I'll pass.
    But to be fair- the numbers are everything here. To kill a rat, they'd need to eat 1320 mgs, or basically roll in 2500 mgs. From what I can tell, the Off pod things are treated with 375 mg of d-cis/trans allethrin (or about 22% by weight of the mat). You touch it for 2 seconds while you put it in the lantern- then wash your hands. Heck, you don't even have to touch it- you could hold it in the wrapper and drop it in. So unless you plan to buy sheets of the stuff and sleep on them for weeks, you should be safe from bloody tears and paralysis.

Also- from your article:
    • Carcinogenic effects: Rats fed very high doses of d-allethrin for 2 years did not develop cancer [19].
    • Organ toxicity: Rats fed 75 mg/kg/day of d-allethrin exhibited decreased body weight gain, increased liver weights and, in females only, increased levels of serum liver enzymes [19]. A six-month study with dogs fed d-allethrin (bioallethrin) showed effects on the liver at 5 mg/kg/day [19]. A dose of 50 mg/kg/day allethrin for two years produced no detectable effect in dogs [19].
    • Fate in humans and animals: Following oral administration, allethrin is readily absorbed and metabolized in mammalian systems to less toxic compounds which may be more easily eliminated by the body [12].
    That's pretty safe- to the best we know, it doesn't cause cancer, it was fed to dogs for 2 yrs straight with no effect, and if you do ingest it, the body converts it to something less harmful for elimination.

Elite Member

I just wear jeans at dusk and after dark, they seem to go for my legs for the most part. If the mosquitos are more vicious than that, I'll go inside. It's not worth getting eaten alive.

Thread Information