Thread: Frank Lloyd Wright's Ennis House for sale - Pitt-Jolie clan to move in shortly?

fgg

Default Frank Lloyd Wright's Ennis House for sale - Pitt-Jolie clan to move in shortly?

Frank Lloyd Wright's famed Ennis House to be sold

By Christopher Michaud Christopher Michaud – Thu Jun 18, 11:45 pm ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Frank Lloyd Wright's famed, long-endangered Ennis House that served as a location for films such as "Blade Runner" is putting out a "for sale" sign with a $15 million asking price, Christie's said on Friday.

The 6,000-square-foot Los Angeles estate is being sold by the Ennis House Foundation, which recently completed the initial phase of a stabilization and restoration project following years of decay and damage from earthquakes and torrential rains. In March 2005, it was placed on the National Trust for Historic Preservation's most-endangered list.

"Our goal has always been to be a good steward of the house," said the foundation's president, James DeMeo.

"We've made a lot of progress, but at this point a private owner with the right vision and sufficient resources can better preserve the house than we can as a small nonprofit," he said, explaining the decision to place the historic home on the market.

Perched atop a hill in the Los Feliz area of Los Angeles just south of Griffith Park, the Mayan-inspired estate built in 1924 from some 27,000 16-inch concrete blocks is one of only four of the legendary American architect's "textile block" homes.

"I fully support the Ennis House returning to private ownership," said Eric Lloyd Wright, grandson of the architect.

"My grandfather designed homes to be occupied by people. His homes are works of art. He created the space, but the space becomes a creative force of its own and uplifts when it is lived in every day," said Wright, a member of the Ennis House Foundation's board of directors.

The last private owners donated the house, which officials said would require a further $5 million to $7 million for preservation, to a public trust in 1980.

Another of the foundation's directors, film star Diane Keaton, will likely assume a public role in the sale of the house, which has also been used in episodes of television shows such as "Twin Peaks" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

The sale is being handled by Hilton & Hyland and Dilbeck Realtors, with assistance from Christie's Great Estates, a subsidiary of Christie's auction house.

Wright, who died in 1959, was one of the world's most prolific architects, designing homes, churches and office buildings like the Johnson Wax headquarters in Racine, Wisconsin, as well as public spaces including the famed white spiral of New York's Guggenheim Museum, now celebrating its 50th anniversary.

this thread needs pics.

Ennis-Brown House
    1924 – Frank Lloyd Wright
    2607 Glendower Avenue – map
    Declared: 3/3/76

The last and largest of four textile-block houses built by Frank Lloyd Wright in the Los Angeles area in a short run in the mid-twenties, the Ennis-Brown House has seen the best and worst of times. Today, it sits vacant, awaiting a future which, at this point, is unclear. At least to me.

Wright built the home and its two-story garage and chauffeur’s quarters across the motor court for Charles W. Ennis (1858-1928) and his wife, Mabel (1863-1954). The Ennises (Ennisi?) came to Los Angeles in 1901 where Charles opened up a men’s clothing store downtown

Wright loved to build on hillsides, so this project must’ve been a real hoot for him. The house’s art glass windows are the last he designed for any home, and the Ennis House Foundation says there remains a glass mosaic tile fireplace inside, the last in existence in any FLW structure.

Poor Charles Ennis got to live in the house only until 1928. More accurately, poor Charles Ennis got to live only until 1928, period. Mabel continued to call the Mayan temple home until 1936. (srk1941 says Mabel later moved into Baldwin Hills Village, making her what I can only guess is one of the few people to have broken in two L.A. landmarks. Thanks, srk1941.) When the Passing Parade’s John Nesbitt bought the house in 1940, Wright returned and added a pool on the northside terrace as well as a billiard room.

Gus Brown and his wife bought the home in 1968. They made their own alterations to the house, like replacing a bedroom, bath, and stucco wall with a Japanese garden. Brown founded the Trust for Preservation of Cultural Heritage – the forerunner of today’s Ennis House Foundation – opening the landmark for tours. He wound up donating the monument to the organization before dying in 2002.

The motor court. Garage to the right.

1994’s earthquake and a rainy winter a decade later beat the hell out of the house, so much so the city’s Department of Building and Safety red-tagged the home as unsafe for entry. The following year, in 2006, the Foundation gathered a bunch of funding and began restoration. Here’s a paragraph pulled lock, stock, and barrel from the Los Angeles Conservancy website regarding the new construction:
    The project team built a new structural frame to support the motor court, chauffeur's quarters, and part of the south wall, which had partially collapsed. The team also replaced the roof; repaired and restored interior woodwork, floors, ceilings, art-glass doors and windows, and a mosaic glass tile mural; painted the kitchen cabinetry in its original color; and cleaned interior concrete blocks. They repaired or replaced nearly 3,000 of the house’s 30,000 concrete blocks, many of which had eroded over time or were treated with waterproofing materials that inadvertently caused damage.

Wright wasn't responsible for the metal-work.

I called up and bothered some guy from the Ennis House Foundation to ask him what the latest was. He told me stabilization of the house was finished in October and there are no plans for any events or fundraisers. According to its website, the Foundation is figuring rehabilitation will ultimately run ten million dollars. At this point, the house is still closed up.

The Ennis-Brown House (as it was designated in 1976) has served as a set in movies (Blade Runner, The Day of the Locust, and House on Haunted Hill, notably) and TV shows (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, for example) and ads. It’s also on the National Register of Historic Places and is a state landmark.

source

more:

source

thats hideous looking.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

ridiculous, it's a work of art! why has it been allowed to crumble
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

It looks like a mental institution.

Oh thank god I thought I was the only one who thought this was so incredibly ugly. I have trouble appreciating FLW to begin with, but this provoked a visceral response with the ugliness.

As a museum or artwork, maaaaybe I could see, but I can't imagine who would want to live in that.

And is that the freakin L.A. river by that horrid chain link fence?

Quote Originally Posted by Mivvi21 View Post
    It looks like a mental institution.
    Or a prison
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Elite Member

Not one of my favorites of his.

Looks like some kind of ancient Roman fortress. I love FLW's work, but this strikes me as cold and dead. I think I've read that Pitt likes his homes architecturally fabulous, but not necessarily warm, fuzzy and inviting.

Looks like a prison. Who in the hell would want to live there?
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I can see Pitt buying it for the status aspect, and spending however many millions it takes to restore it.

Thread Information