Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Looking for ideas! I'm buying a new house, have a vintage bed - then what?

Default Looking for ideas! I'm buying a new house, have a vintage bed - then what?

So I'm moving into a new house, and it finally has room for me to use a vintage bed that I inherited from my grandparents. It's a lucite four-poster from the Metric Collection by Charles Hollis Jones. I've loved it my whole life - when my grandparents passed away my mother had it taken apart and saved for me. Here is what it looks like:

Michel Contessa - Charles Hollis Jones . - Rare Four Poster, Lucite Bed.

So far I'm planning to paint the walls a very light lavendar. I also have one side table I'm sure I want to use, it's a chinoiserie chest that's gold with flowers. I also have two 50's style chairs to arrange as a sitting area that are upholstered in off white and are old hollywood looking.

All the rest of the decorating is open at this point (price is a concern).

The main thing I'm not sure about is the dresser. I know that I want to put a dresser against the wall facing the foot of the bed for clothes storage and to put a TV on top. Right now my dresser is sort of a french country, hand painted flower thing that won't work at all. I was thinking of getting a very modern looking white console, like a big white rectangle, but I'm concerned that it might look too 80's with the bed. I love the look of modern mixed with old, I'm just having a bit of trouble with it.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by sparklehead; April 24th, 2009 at 03:04 PM.

Here is the cabinet I definately want to use as a nightstand (sorry for the poor picture quality - ignore the shade-less lamp):

Here is what I'm not sure if I want to use as the other nightstand:

Last edited by sparklehead; April 24th, 2009 at 03:05 PM.

first off, you have some great furniture pieces! the lucite four poster bed is truly neat and gorgeous. i'm absolutely digging it.

i agree with the old hollywood chairs, it's a great idea and in theme with the vintage lucite bed.
    secondly, never ever put a tv on top of the dresser. it screams clutter.
    about the (white) console... you have to base your choice on the kind of feel and style you want your room to exude. say, you decide to go with a white contemporary console and maybe another white furniture piece to pair it with. the inner structure of the room (all the furniture) will give off a more cold feel. (lucite material mostly transmits light, white surfaces reflect light.) white surfaces are typically used to off-set more massive and/or warm materials. if you want to add any warmth to the décor, it'll have to come from either the walls or the floor. keep that in mind when choosing paint.

it's mostly a question of preference of style, i guess. me too, i love old mixed with new. and personally, i'd go for a combo of lucite with vintage feel wood furniture. i love the contrast between wood and lucite. so i think i'd search for a pretty wooden console, maybe one with a vintage feel or maybe a more modern -not impersonal- one.

i think it's also important to invest in a contemporary lucite piece. the four poster is the center of the room, and basically if it's the only lucite piece (esp. a vintage one), it can either appear to look completely out of place of be dominated by the other non-lucite furniture. lucite materials have the advantage of giving the impression of not taking up a lot of space and not minimizing your space in any way. the disadvantage, however, is that they can easily be pushed out of the décor. so i suggest to buy a small sleek lucite companion piece. the lucite pieces won't be dominated and most of the attention will still be directed to the bed.
    what i also think is important, is that when you introduce lucite into a room, not to stuff the room with furniture. it tends to look better in a more minimalistic interior.

what kind of flooring do you have? is there a lot of natural light or not? all these factors will contribute to the overall feel of the room. make sure that the end result is harmonious.

about the chinoiserie chests... i think they're lovely and you won't like what i'm going to say but i wouldn't incorporate them into the bedroom. don't pair them with that bed. essentially, you're adding a completely different vibe to the room. it seems to me that it would unnecessarily complicate things. chinoiserie is traditionally associated with dark wood, the stained type. and i have no idea what the contemporary interpretation would be.
    they're both eye-catchers and what i would do, is make use of them in another room. maybe you have a desk/library area where you can use them? or you can use them as little sidetables in a sitting area somewhere. i would try to incorporate them into a shelving unit, preferably a dark wood one. done in the right way, it could look really cool.

same thing for the french country dresser. see if you can find a place for it in a different room. never complicate things, look for easy solutions.

oh yeah, and i agree with lavendar on the walls. it will look good, whatever you choose to do.

A*O

I agree about the chinoiserie - they don't quite work on that context. I'd be looking to go more art deco with simple, elegant, "less is more" pieces. Not necessarily original deco because they can be very expensive but you can still get that 1930s Hollywood glamour look to compliment the bed if you choose carefully. Lavender walls would work, also greys and matt silver. Think Jean Harlow!
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

Wooo-you are so lucky! Love that bed,have never seen anything like it. The funny thing is,from the first picture,I was already thinking lavender.
    I disagree with the previous posters a bit. I would use those cabinets in a heartbeat. Also consider tying long sheer white panels on the back two posts-all airy looking! The fact that the bed & cabinets are unexpected and unique will be a terrific effect,IMO. I don't think it needs another piece of lucite,either. I think that bed is enough & stands alone very well. I would find a dresser that you like & paint it white-high gloss maybe. Bound to be cheaper. Kind of a '30's look. Like the idea of the two chairs,also. Get it all in the room,try it out and remember-this is your room. You live there & it should look like YOU! I love you ideas!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I LOVE that bed! It's amazing! Looks very modern and I could totally see it in a NYC style loft! I would go completely opposite and use that bed to glam up the bedroom...with bold black and mirrored accents including a mirrored armour/tv console. Would be very sleek and sophisticated...did I mention that I love that bed?

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    ... 1930s Hollywood glamour look to compliment the bed if you choose carefully. Lavender walls would work, also greys and matt silver. Think Jean Harlow!
    I was thinking of an Old Hollywood feel as well. LOVE A*O's grey and silver suggestion - you could even go half-way between lavender and grey with a soft, warmish, "heather" grey. Robin's Egg blue would also look fab.

I also like the suggestion of incorporating one additional lucite piece. A simple desk chair would be an easy way to achieve this. If you don't plan to have a desk in the room, you could even use one as a bedside table, or get a pair of lucite bedside tables.

Some ideas:

- ignore Miley,
    I'm just thinking of the wall colour.

Last edited by Tati; May 1st, 2009 at 02:48 PM.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Those nightstands are GORGEOUS but they're too dark for the lightness of the lucite four poster bed.. maybe you could use the cabinets in another room. I think you could go retro, art-deco.. maybe even mod of if you want to. Or you could maybe to a little bit French victorian with a modern twist, too.

You could also go all out with some wall paper or paint some cute decals around the top of the room to highlight the bed... Geez. I kind of went overboard here.

Hey! How hard would it be to get any old dresser & get mirror cut to fit! That would be easy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Wow guys, gorgeous pictures!!! Thanks for your fantastic ideas too! I really love grey walls but right now the carpet is on the grey-side (not my favorite thing but I don't have the money to change all the carpet out so I was going to go with area rugs or a big rug) which is why I was thinking a grey-ish lavendar. The point about the room being too cold is definately a concern, but it seems like the warmer lavendars can be too dishwater-pink... it's been hard especially since I want to use no VOC paint (trying to be greener where I can).

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea of the lucite chair with a desk, the pictures with the mirrored furniture and the lucite make me warm and happy inside! My main concern is price.

Pier one has a lucite vanity I could use (from the Harlow collection - appropriate)

Pier 1 Imports - Hayworth Vanity & Mirror

Target has some great lucite chairs under thier dining room stuff, although they aren't cheap:

Acrylic Dining Chair- Clear : Target

Vedette Acrylic Folding Chair (Set of 2) - Clear : Target

I actually do have a small lucite block that is good as a low side table, now that you mention it, it might be nice beside one of the 50's chairs.

I have always wanted a mirrored dresser or armoire - in fact I think some of you posted pictures of pieces I've always loved from the Niemans or Horchow websites, the problem is that they're so expensive.

I do like the idea of a natural wood dresser with mixed in with the rest of it all - that changes the feel of the room totally and I kind of like it.

Ok - another question - If I did a mirrored vanity with a lucite chair and a wood dresser, what would work for bed side tables? More mirrored stuff seems like it may be going to far, and wood might be strange...

EDIT: I should probably mention that I'm in New Mexico, so sadly, the look is adobe here. The inside of the house is not very southwestern other than a couple of wooden beams downstairs, but the walls are very slightly textured to match the stucco/adobe look of the outside. I don't notice it anymore because I'm so used to it, but it does mean that wallpaper is out.
    Last edited by sparklehead; May 1st, 2009 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Hey! How hard would it be to get any old dresser & get mirror cut to fit! That would be easy.

That's a really interesting idea! I should talk to a glass cutter here in town and see if they ever just do mirrored stuff for people.

Here's the room:

fgg

i can't wait to see how it looks once it's done!

Wow-nice size room. This will look super.

Thread Information