Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: GR Book Club 2008 - sign up here!

i just ordered a used copy on the internet.

and cheers to a*o!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I agree, A*O did a great job organizing this.

I'll try my local foreign book store after New Year's, otherwise, it's Amazon all the way.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

A*O

Aw shucks - it's really not a big deal organising you all and I'm a bossy bitch at the best of times so it comes naturally LOL

For those of you who perhaps can't get this book in your local store/library I can highly recommend Amazon.com. They usually have what you want in stock and can get it to you within a few days. The price of books in Australia is outrageously expensive (we have to pay 10% sales tax on them) so believe it or not it's cheaper for me to order a book from the US and have it shipped here than go to the local book store. Crazy.

Talking of crazy - it's +108F here tonight (New Years Eve). Oh no, I have to drink more cold beer to maintain hydration.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thanks A*O, I'm gonna go find the book now!

Thanks AO, you rock!

I'm not sure what the limit for a poll here is, but I think it's at least ten or so. I know we've seen some long polls on here before for the Hottest Male/Female and suchnot. Perhaps it can be longer if a mod starts it, I'll do some experimenting.

To be honest, I really wouldn't mind either voting on or just having AO do her own shortlisting though. I mean, these are all books that are probably worth checking out, and every time we finish one we'll move another into its previous spot on the list, so I wouldn't fret too much about fitting them all into a single poll. But, we have till February to figure it out! I'm going to pick up the current book ASAP!

edit: Dudes, it's letting me do like 100 options if I want to for a poll! If regular members can't post that many then I'll make sure one of the mods gets the next poll ready by February. I think it should probably be limited to 50 at the absolute outside anyway or we'll never get a majority, but it's good to know for sure.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

A*O

I think even 50 might be spreading it too thin? If we do a Poll then I suggest that everyone re-submits ONE choice of book which should give us a shortlist of around 20 which should be more than enough to cover everyone's tastes and preferences? If we are 'meeting' 6 times year then even 20 books will last over 3 years! and of course we can tweak the list if it gets too narrow or people just can't agree or if/when great new books come onto the market.

So, re-submit your choice of one book (could be tricky!) and I will make a Poll [goes to work out how the hell to do a Poll].
    Dame Edna Everage

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    So, re-submit your choice of one book (could be tricky!) and I will make a Poll [goes to work out how the hell to do a Poll].
    I'll re-submit ATONEMENT, by Ian McEwan.

As for making the poll, you start by creating a new thread, with a title and whatever you want it to say, as usual.

Before you submit it, scroll down the page and it asks you if you want to post a poll with the thread and you'll click yes and type in the number of options you'll want.

You'll submit the thread and it'll lead you to the next step of putting in your voting options. You can choose the day you want the poll to close so no one can vote after a particular date if you want. It'll ask you if you want to make the poll multiple choice, but of course, for these purposes, you won't. The default is to allow one vote to each person.

Click submit, and viola!
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Resubmit: The Confessions of Nat Turner William Styron

*ok I admit I did vote for 'stuff' in Tati's poll..ten other people bothered to vote for things, stuff, or one of the 48 'others'
    Last edited by Sojiita; January 1st, 2008 at 05:07 PM.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I will resubmit Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez then.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

A*O

Yes, our first book for discussion is The Discomfort Zone by Jonathan Frantzen. Discussion on Monday 4 February (NOT before please).

I will put together a Poll of all the other books and in theory our next book will pick itself as people vote. So submit your book now either here or via PM.
    Dame Edna Everage

the crying of lot 49, thomas pynchon.
    i've read a couple of his books and loved them and i've been meaning to read this one for ages.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I'll throw in Crime and Punishment, since I want to re-read it and maybe this time make sense of the random name changes.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I'd really like to do this as well! I'll submit a nom for Trainspotting.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

It's not the most serious of literature, but it is a great read: Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

I forgot about this and to vote but glad you decided on a book, will see if I can get a copy of it

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information