Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: GR Book Club 2008 - sign up here!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Oh shit - I think that's me? No worries and no whining please.
    Yeah I meant you, but I did the quote wrong! Oops!
    Thanks again for sorting this out, will vote on Monday!

A*O just got voted into being the leader without even knowing she was in the running!!

Well A*O until you post the list for Monday we can at least bitch, moan, whine, squabble, hit eachother with rocks, etc. until then right?

And also campaign for our choice (anything but 'classic' literature please!)..anyone going to offer any bribes for votes?

-Is this 'selection process' going to be like an election then? Mudslinging, payoffs, rigged voting..etc.?

*begins to think of how to bribe A*O into rigging the election favorably...hmm any Republicans in the house willing to give some advice?? lol
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

As I understand it, the book will be chosen by a majority vote. I read all kinds of books, fiction and non-fiction, classic and modern. I even read the backs of cereal boxes when I have nothing else to read, lol. The majority rules, but I was pretty clear about why I suggested classic literature. I didn't know so many people would be so vehemently against it. But to each their own. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    As I understand it, the book will be chosen by a majority vote. I read all kinds of books, fiction and non-fiction, classic and modern. I even read the backs of cereal boxes when I have nothing else to read, lol. The majority rules, but I was pretty clear about why I suggested classic literature. I didn't know so many people would be so vehemently against it. But to each their own. *shrugs*
    Oh PB I am just being a pain in the ass! I will go along with and read whatever is chosen. The Columbus Public Library downtown is huge, and my exroomie lives right down the street. This library is huge and I am sure they would have whatever is chosen, plus I can visit my friend when I go. This will get me to going to the library again anyway. Yeah I will even read *shudder* Madame Bovary if it is chosen

Just trying to have a little fun with the thread! *pitches a crabapple at PB and runs*

A*O

Like I say, I will post the list of ALL suggestions and provided we don't all vote for our own pick then hopefully we will get a majority on at least one of them! Like any democratic process, we might not get the result we hoped for so we just have to suck it up.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Oh PB I am just being a pain in the ass! I will go along with and read whatever is chosen. The Columbus Public Library downtown is huge, and my exroomie lives right down the street. This library is huge and I am sure they would have whatever is chosen, plus I can visit my friend when I go. This will get me to going to the library again anyway. Yeah I will even read *shudder* Madame Bovary if it is chosen

Just trying to have a little fun with the thread! *pitches a crabapple at PB and runs*
    That hurt! Madame Bovary is a good book, Soj, you might even like it! Anyway, I really don't care what we read (well, I do, up to a point but this is all in good fun), but once the choice is made, we all have to suck it up as A*O says.

I wish more people had good home libraries these days. Hubby and I have a LOT of books, but we still have about 40 more boxes in storage. We dream of having a place big enough some day to unpack all of our books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    A*O just got voted into being the leader without even knowing she was in the running!!

Well...i was just talking about the vote thing?! Sorry if I've dropped anyone in it, but I do think A*O would be great if it isn't too much hassle??!!! (Hint, hint!!!)
    Don't worry if you can't though!

I wish more people had good home libraries these days.
    That would be the first thing I'd want if I built a house. I want one of those ladders on tracks that you can roll around the room, too!
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Oh, what a good idea! So many people don't even have books in their homes, which shocks me to no end. Someone my sister knows in Toronto works for a show called 'Til Debt Do Us Part for obvious reasons, and he said that NOT ONE SINGLE house they've filmed in has even had a bookshelf, much less books. I couldn't survive without being able to read.

A*O

Hell, we even have a bookshelf in our loo! They are the most read books in the house LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^I just need a bathroom big enough for that, and I'm in, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    That would be the first thing I'd want if I built a house. I want one of those ladders on tracks that you can roll around the room, too!
    I'd play on the rolling ladder all day.

ETA: I read on the crapper too

^^me too, shampoo bottles (pun intended) when I'm desperate.

I know a couple of people who haven't read since highschool, like it was a chore or something. When I tried explaining to them that they have an infinite of topics to choose from (not decided for them by some random English techer/schoolboard) they just stared at me in disbelief.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

I have a little book rack right behind the toilet. And I admit my favorite read on the toilet-is the National Enquirer or The Star! I know someone who gets two of each and when I see them I always get the extras. why not read crap when you are..well you know.

One of my favorite movie lines..in Auntie Mame, when Gloria Upson (mindless twit that she is) says. " Oh I just love books! They're sooooooo decorative"

I wish more people had good home libraries these days. Hubby and I have a LOT of books, but we still have about 40 more boxes in storage. We dream of having a place big enough some day to unpack all of our books.
    Between all the books my mother has ammassed throughout her life, and the ones I've bought myself, we've got a pretty impressive library in my place. One wall in my bedroom and two walls in the living room are all bookshelves, and we still have to cram books in space-efficient ways, and even keep some in cupboards and *gasp* storage. At this stage, we just need to buy a new apartment for the books to live in.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information