Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Tim Hardaway: I hate gay people

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Ho, just my 2 cents, but I really think that dragonlady is just an unusual person. I don't get a vibe of hatred from her, and she hasn't advocated that anyone's rights be restricted or anything. She kind of reminds me of Mr. Spock (no offense meant!)
    Me neither. She has quite a philosophical outlook, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    I still don't see homosexuality as comparable to race or having blue eyes, being black

I do.
    So do I.

And Sojita, I can completely understand why you would be offended, because what she's saying does judge you in a negative way. I wouldn't expect you to agree with her, and nor do I. It's just that she views all sexuality in a peculiar (sorry!) light, and in her reality, homosexual acts serve no justified purpose. But neither do my sexual acts with my husband, because he's had a vasectomy

While I do understand that you would be offended, I just don't think what she's saying is based on hate.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Elite Member

i am sure homosexuality is as much unchangeable as race/eye color/height...but sexuality is also not that cut and dry, there is a sexual spectrum..i think wherever people lie on that spectrum is unchangeable and shouldn't be changed..or judged EVER...i am as straight as they come and that's just how i was born..others are born completely gay, some bi, etc...whatever you are it is cool and fine...dragonlady i hope one day you meet more people because just through talking to a wide variety of folk you may realize the basic facts of life when it comes to sexuality and whatnot...i don't think what i am stating is an opinion..it is a fact, like light moves at such-and-such speed per second...this person is gay..that person is straight..you can't change these things...
    ok ~~end rant from xoxo~~

I agree, it's doesn't sound like hate mongering.

Lobes, I love your new avatar, will miss seeing that
    glorious pic of Eddie though!

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Thanks! But yeah, although I am a new Eddie fan, I am a completely devoted Eddie fan. Carol Burnett was my first favorite funny person.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Me too Lobes My favorite was the Hitler skits and Went with the Wind.
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

'I'm talking mainly about action' You are incorrect here. Homosexuality is NOT defined by actions. Homosexuals may carry out actions that are in line with their orientation..but it is the orientation itself that is the homosexuality. There are plenty of straight men comitting homosexual sex acts in prison, and they are NOT homosexual nor do they have a homosexual orientation. According to this theory I did not become a homosexual until I slept with a guy around age 20..when in fact I knew my orientation was homosexual many years before that. My point is that the orientation is there, it is unchangeable, and the acts that follow are in line with that immutable characteristic of homosexual orientation. I feel there is nothing wrong with the orientation, so there is nothing wrong with the very natural acts that derive from that orientation.

*Also after having these discussion I do not believe you are hate based dragon...but I still disagree*
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    'I'm talking mainly about action' You are incorrect here. Homosexuality is NOT defined by actions. Homosexuals may carry out actions that are in line with their orientation..but it is the orientation itself that is the homosexuality. There are plenty of straight men comitting homosexual sex acts in prison, and they are NOT homosexual nor do they have a homosexual orientation. According to this theory I did not become a homosexual until I slept with a guy around age 20..when in fact I knew my orientation was homosexual many years before that. My point is that the orientation is there, it is unchangeable, and the acts that follow are in line with that immutable characteristic of homosexual orientation. I feel there is nothing wrong with the orientation, so there is nothing wrong with the very natural acts that derive from that orientation.

*Also after having these discussion I do not believe you are hate based dragon...but I still disagree*
    I guess what I'm saying (or trying to say, and not explaining very well), is that what I think is wrong is the action of same-sex intercourse, or any intercourse that's not for the purpose of procreation. One may always have those underlying tendences, urges, or maybe orientation would be the best word, but I think it's possible to successfully change how one responds to that orientation. I'm sure it's never completely gone. I guess it's like certain personality traits; I know by nature I am a very lazy person. It will always be something that is always going to be there, but I have the ability to modify my actions and actually enjoy action and accomplishment, when deep down all I might really want to do is lay around and sleep all day. This example not an exact parallel, because for one thing, I think there's negative consequences of the act of laziness, whereas with homosexuality it's only negative if it bothers you (and by you I mean the homosexual person in question, not somebody else). So thank you for your argument, because although we still may not agree on some things (for instance, I still am not convinced that the homosexual ACT is comparable to race or eye color, because you can't really act "black" or "blue eyed), I have thought more about the underlying unchangeable part of homosexuality. I should actually thank Grim for that too because he was the one that pointed out pheromones and chemical responses, so Grim, if you read this, thanks the free psychoanalysis and for making me think

I'm also glad that you know I'm not hate based or think of you as less of a person or anything like that. After all, I know some people disagree with my views on sexuality in general, but I know that no one holds me in contempt because of it (I hope, at least). And while I'm cool with someone disagreeing with me, I'd hate for someone to
    try and force me to date or have kids, so I can understand how you'd feel about someone mandating that you change your life.

NBA DROPS TIM HARDAWAY FOR HOMOPHOBIC TIRADE: Former player banned from repping league during All-Star weekend.

(February 16, 2007)

*The NBA has kicked Tim Hardaway to the curb in the wake of his recent anti-gay remarks during a radio interview.
    This means the former Miami Heat guard’s scheduled appearances on behalf of the league during All-Star weekend have been cancelled.
    "It is inappropriate for him to be representing us given the disparity between his views and ours," NBA commissioner David Stern said in a statement Thursday.
    Hardaway’s All-Star ban comes after the retired player released a statement apologizing for his remarks during the interview on Miami’s Dan Le Betard Show on 790 The Ticket. When the former athlete was asked about the recent coming out of ex-NBA player John Amaechi, Hardaway responded:
    "First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room."
    When show host Dan Le Batard told Hardaway those comments were "flatly homophobic" and "bigotry," the player continued: "You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."
    In Hardaway’s apology issued Thursday by his agent, he said: "As an African-American, I know all too well the negative thoughts and feelings hatred and bigotry cause. I regret and apologize for the statements that I made that have certainly caused the same kinds of feelings and reactions.
    "I especially apologize to my fans, friends and family in Miami and Chicago. I am committed to examining my feelings and will recognize, appreciate and respect the differences among people in our society," he said. "I regret any embarrassment I have caused the league on the eve of one of their greatest annual events."
    Amaechi, who detailed his life in his recent autobiography "Man in the Middle," has responded to the Hardaway drama with disappointment.

"His words pollute the atmosphere," Amaechi said, according to the Associated Press. "It creates an atmosphere that allows young gays and lesbians to be harassed in school, creates an atmosphere where in 33 states you can lose your job, and where anti-gay and lesbian issues are used for political gain. It's an atmosphere that hurts all of us, not just gay people."

Amaechi taped a spot Thursday for PBS' gay and lesbian program "In the Life." He said the anti-gay sentiment remains despite Hardaway's apology.

"It's vitriolic, and may be exactly what he feels," he said. "Whether he's honest or not doesn't inoculate us from his words. It's not progress to hear hateful words."

Hardaway represented the NBA in Las Vegas this week at a Habitat for Humanity event and a fitness promotion. The former U.S. Olympian was originally scheduled to be an assistant coach at a wheelchair game Thursday night and later appear at the fan-oriented Jam Session.
    EURweb.com - NBA DROPS TIM HARDAWAY FOR HOMOPHOBIC TIRADE: Former player banned from repping league during All-Star weekend.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I guess what I'm saying (or trying to say, and not explaining very well), is that what I think is wrong is the action of same-sex intercourse, or any intercourse that's not for the purpose of procreation.
    Thus defined it is an act of pure pleasure. So you must think all acts of pure physical pleasure should be forbidden..massages, cuddling, tasty foods, various clothhing materials, spas..

Why think only ONE act of pleasure is somehow "wrong". How do you define "wrong" anyway?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Thus defined it is an act of pure pleasure. So you must think all acts of pure physical pleasure should be forbidden..massages, cuddling, tasty foods, various clothhing materials, spas..

Why think only ONE act of pleasure is somehow "wrong". How do you define "wrong" anyway?
    Grimm, you raise a valid point here. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to defer answering you right away, and here's why. My response will probably be rather lengthy, and before I type up a thesis here I have some school work and other responsibilities I need to take care of first. I'm assuming you won't be too perturbed if my answer is somewhat long, since I've seen some of the reading material you've posted elsewhere So I'm afraid I'll just have to keep you in suspense for a while (assuming you care to continue the discussion lol). But I'll just leave you with this abstract for the moment...I believe that there are fundamental differences between sex and other pleasurable pursuits, besides the superficial descriptions of the acts, and I'll elaborate on that when I return.

Oh and I meant to ask before, have you studied psychology or philosophy or something of that nature? I'm just wondering, that's all.

A must see! George Takei takes on Hardaway.
    YouTube - Jimmy Kimmel Tim Hardaway and George Takei answer to Tim

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread Information