Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Thandie Newton "Shocked" at Blackface Angelina Jolie

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

And the 'debate' continues. I am really starting to enjoy this.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

I am bored with it now! This is where that other comment was supposed to go!

What I meant to say was isn't it funny that nitelite is applauded for her posts with many low blows yet I put one pic up and I am the big ole meanie lol. I am so bored with this. It is a joke I tell ya!

I want to know how Nitelife has the time and energy to write all these long essays. Must be nice.

Anyway, wouldn't it be funny if we spent all this time talking about this movie and it turns out to be a bomb? But even it is a bomb, you can be sure that Nitelife and her acolytes will turn out for it in droves, solemnly intoning how "meaningful" said movie is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    So Jack might be gay?
    What? Jack is gay?

*hides from Sojiita*

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
    I don't even put in that much effort for uni essays!
    Maybe you would if you got to write them all on your favorite topic. As in:

"Professor, is it okay for me to do another paper on the positive effects of margharitas?"

"Absolutely yes, keep up the good work. But try to stay under 5000 words this time, would you?"

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
    For as long as I've been alive "they" have always said anybody with a drop of black blood is considered black. Don't know why. Pretty tired of the whole topic by this time. However I think Thandie has a right to her opinion just like the rest of us do. I think she's a fantastic actress too.

P.S. I will say that anytime I've ever asked one of my black friends/coworkers etc. if they consider anybody part black to be black they say yes. I'd be curious to hear from the people in here what their answer is. I worked with a woman from Louisiana whose skin was many shades lighter than mine, she is Creole, and she considers herself to be black.

I am half black and half Italian...and i consider myself a BLACK woman....I agree totally with your statement....Thandie has a right to her opionion...but i also feel like black people should play BLACK roles and white people should play WHITE roles...nothing racist...but it is more believable when done this way....

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

the self tanner or whatever just makes Angie look orange...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Bronze Member Bullets In My TuTu's Avatar

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions. Mariane wanted Jolie to play her, so IMO, her opinion trumps all others.

Quote Originally Posted by 2003pinkpoodle View Post
    I am half black and half Italian...and i consider myself a BLACK woman....I agree totally with your statement....Thandie has a right to her opionion...but i also feel like black people should play BLACK roles and white people should play WHITE roles...nothing racist...but it is more believable when done this way....
    so what do you do when it's half and half?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I don't think it's fair that her white side is ignored. One of my friends is half-Swedish half-Chinese, and everybody sees her as a Chinese girl but she identifies more with her Swedish side. I think it's stupid and propogating racism by thinking this way, because it's like you're white by default, and you have to have some other blood to make you different and then you can never go back. I hate that.

Chasing Demri around our house in her walker!

Actually, i can see both sides of the issue/argument here (re: Angelina being cast as Mariane Pearl). I agree, it IS much ado about nothing. But, i can also understand how the mere topic/mention of "blackface" would get black people riled up & stir up sadness or other bad feelings. (due to our nation's shameful past regarding its treatment of black people.) Sure, Angelina's face is only being darkened with makeup for a movie role (just like, someone pointed out, actors have makeup applied to make them look older, or to look like burn victims, or whatever)--no big deal. But again on the other hand it's just the notion of "blackface" is so hurtful to many people still, and rightfully so. Also, there is the issue that there really AREN'T that many great, prominent roles in high-profile big-budget movies for black actresses.--Certainly not as many great roles as there are for white actresses. The role of a dark-skinned woman, in a high-profile movie about a very meaningful story comes along....I can see why some black actresses would be dismayed that even the role of a dark-skinned woman, went to a white actress. Personally, i think Thandie Newton would have been great in the role. I thought she did a fabulous acting job in "Crash". But still, overall, it's JUST a movie role.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonlady View Post
    Early in the 20th century Irish, Italian and eastern European immigrants in America weren't considered "white", because they threatened the Anglo-American way of life, but now they generally are. In the Russo-Japanese War, of course the Western countries hailed Russia as a bastion of whiteness and Christianity in "heathen" Asia, but once the Cold War started, it was "well you can't trust those Russians...they are Asiatic, you know." I think whiteness has historically been granted to people who aren't "threatening," as well as describing skin color and such.
    Wow, that is interesting, Dragonlady! I did not know that. I'm half Russian and half Irish, and never would i have thought that my lily-white ass would have been considered "non-white"! I'm actually just starting to learn about World War II, so it will be interesting to me to read about that sad time period in the world's history when there was such paranoia & suspicion towards issues of race/religion/ethnicity/national heritage. Thanks for the thought-provoking info.
    My precious baby girl:
    ~ Demri Elizabeth-June ~
    Arrived July 19th. 6 lbs.,5 oz.; 19.5". BEAUTIFUL !

Elite Member

Such a consciousness was developed in the US, elsewhere a lot of other people don’t think the same way.
    Yes! I realize that this has to do with your history of slavery (people had slaves here too, I know) but I find this all rather bemusing. Why is this important? We're all mutts. I'm blonde and blue-eyed and Swedish but there's plenty of nationalities in my family history - there is in everybody's.

You know, I think that what makes a movie believable is a good story, good acting, good directing, good scenography and good dialogue. I honestly don't give a fuck how much the actors resemble any actual, living persons that the story may be based on; I even think that a good movie can be believable and plausible even if it's based on (shock!) an entirely fictional story! That's how I see most of 'em, anyway. It's fiction. Even if it's "based on a true story" it's fictionalized, and who gives a shit what skin colour people have if it's not a vital part of the plot? I certainly don't. I'll watch black actors play white characters just as happily as I'll watch white actors play black characters - because colour shouldn't matter and I don't want to uphold standards like that one by being upset by things like this.

Am I the only one who thinks she looks more "ORANGE".............

I don't care either way. This is just another movie I won't be watching. I'll save myself from her overacting and pouting. I saw "Womb-Raider" on TV once, and I laaughed through the whole movie, like seriously, was that acting????

And yes, I haven't seen "Girl Interrupted", but I don't care to at this point.

*****Bump*****
    *****Bump*****
    *****Bump*****
    *****Bump*****

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Thandie is pissed because she didn't get offered a part she wanted. Period. This race/ethnicity thing always gets made an issue out of in casting. Mexicans were pissed that JLo got selected to play Selena rather than another Mexican actress; Japanese actresses were pissed when that Ziang/Chinese chick got picked to lead in Memoirs of a Geisha. A black actress can play a white character and it's fine, just not the other way around. I do empathize with those who claim that good roles are few and far between for actresses of color. However, tough shit. If you are interested in fairness and objectivity in the hiring process, showbiz is the last place you should be working.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimandSexxy View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks she looks more "ORANGE".............

I don't care either way. This is just another movie I won't be watching. I'll save myself from her overacting and pouting. I saw "Womb-Raider" on TV once, and I laaughed through the whole movie, like seriously, was that acting????

And yes, I haven't seen "Girl Interrupted", but I don't care to at this point.

*****Bump*****
    *****Bump*****
    *****Bump*****
    *****Bump*****
    I am the same. Pouting continuously doesn't do it for me. And I certainly don't see the deal with Girl Interrupted in all honesty? People keep going on about it. What was it, like 7 years ago? Man it's all been downhill from there!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information