Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Thandie Newton "Shocked" at Blackface Angelina Jolie

KD
    Elite Member

^I's Alice, what do you think?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    Does it also make you horny?
    yeah most definetely! now that Prussian Blue was brought up!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    LOL tell that to Prussian Blue
    one of my all time fave idols Marlene Dietrich was Prussian .... again, this thread rules!

Silver Member

Halle Berry was lightened to play Queen, a mixed woman passing for White because her features and skin tone didn’t match the character. They should have gotten Jennifer Beals, but they didn’t. They could have and should have even used Jasmine Guy who was upset that she didn’t get the lead role, but they didn’t because Halle had more star power.

Marianne isn’t Black because you say she is. Her father is a Dutchman and her mother is Cuban (which isn’t Black). Is her mother Afro-Cuban, I don’t know because I’ve never heard Marianne say that. She sees herself as multiethnic and I can see why being that she grew up around two people who don’t have direct “Black” ties. Her mother is cuban, but that doesn’t mean she grew up with an “Afrocentric” consciousness.

Such a consciousness was developed in the US, elsewhere a lot of other people don’t think the same way. Is it a crime, I don’t know, I’m on the fence about that. A lot of African-Americans feel they can lord their view of Black identity over everyone. We’ve written the most books on the subject, so I guess that gives us the final say.

Funny thing, I read an article once in the NY Times and it was about how “African-Americans” didn’t want African born ciitizens who migrated to the US to be able to use the term “AFrican-American” to define themselves because the Africans didn’t have the same set up experiences and social constraints the “African-Americans” felt they have dealt with and therefore don’t deserve the same privilege. The Africans were outraged because they were from African nations. I think this has become all to typical of Black americans. They feel they have the right to define everyone, to slap a label on or take it away at their leisure. I don’t feel I have that right and so I’ll let Marianne define herself as she sees fit.
    -----------------------------------------------------

If Thandie said what she did about AJ ‘being blacked up to play a black woman’ then she can go fuck herself. With that statement, IF she made it, she didn’t need to be playing the French born Mariane NO WAY - it’s too bad, but she’s just as fucked up as many of us here are in the U.S. when it comes to race (no surprise, being half African w/ a white mother in the heart of Anglo-Saxon territory) - but STILL, seeing as she’s mid-thirties and hopefully would have seen more of the world outside her own by now, it’s a sad commentary…that she doesn’t realize the diverse background of this woman lends itself to a cultural identity she may or may not share with Thandie. Or is Thandie raising her two half white kids by her white husband to be ‘BLACK.’ Somehow I doubt it. Seeing as she was scandalously f*****g some old white Australian director when she was 15 to 18 or so , she dated Brad Pitt in the mid nineties, and now she’s married to a white guy…I mean some might even say that maybe BOTH Brad and Angelina are more accepting of ‘black’ folks in their life and family…than Thandie.

I like Thandie but she is being a hypocrite. My only issue with her is this–in EVERY role i’ve seen her in (with the exception of Crash) she’s playing the “exotic black girl” opposite some dorky looking white guy.

^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
    Dayumm, I would be suffering from Carpal Tunnel syndrome if I had to post such lenthgy blabber about freaking celebs, who would most likely run me over if I was on a bike in India. Try to make your posts a bit shorter, maybe I'd get to read them, it's only a gossip board!!!

Awwwww.............you guys are pretty active, look how far this thread has come, and welcome to all the newbies........

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Does this really matter anymore? Me thinks not.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

^^OH MY GOD here we go again!!!!
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

So Jack might be gay?

^^^hehehehehe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Shit, I think I just confused myself. QUICK! Somebody hand me chalk, a chalkboard and Will Hunting's brain!" michael k -dlisted

he's gay as a goose (actually I have no knowledge one way or the other)

Quote Originally Posted by Shuisfan1234 View Post
    Well I 'm biracial. period. Thats what I call myself and what I am. I look biracial, and when I was growing up mostly everyone just called me black in school because I hung around the "black girls". I went to a "black/mexican" school and when I did date a white guy long ago, I'm half white (white father) and half black. (black mother) I wasnt white enough" for his family, (they were asses but never told me anything) and when I did date a black guy his bitch of a mom (and believe me she was a huge bitch) told me to my face that she didnt want her son dating a white chick. I asked her do I look white to you? She rolled her eyes and said I "could pass if I wanted too" it took all my energy to keep from crying, and my mom not to go over there and kick her ass. (I was 13) That
    Good Gawd, what a story, and thank you for posting it. Fascinating. However, it totally pisses me off that a a child (and you were a child at 13 IMO) could be treated that way by an adult! I mean, come ON! I want to boot both those moms in the ass. But it is really interesting to see how a person in your shoes can be rejected by both sides. The world we live in....
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I don't even put in that much effort for uni essays!

Quote Originally Posted by Nitelite View Post
    Halle Berry was lightened to play Queen, a mixed woman passing for White because her features and skin tone didn’t match the character. They should have gotten Jennifer Beals, but they didn’t. They could have and should have even used Jasmine Guy who was upset that she didn’t get the lead role, but they didn’t because Halle had more star power.

Marianne isn’t Black because you say she is. Her father is a Dutchman and her mother is Cuban (which isn’t Black). Is her mother Afro-Cuban, I don’t know because I’ve never heard Marianne say that. She sees herself as multiethnic and I can see why being that she grew up around two people who don’t have direct “Black” ties. Her mother is cuban, but that doesn’t mean she grew up with an “Afrocentric” consciousness.

Such a consciousness was developed in the US, elsewhere a lot of other people don’t think the same way. Is it a crime, I don’t know, I’m on the fence about that. A lot of African-Americans feel they can lord their view of Black identity over everyone. We’ve written the most books on the subject, so I guess that gives us the final say.

Funny thing, I read an article once in the NY Times and it was about how “African-Americans” didn’t want African born ciitizens who migrated to the US to be able to use the term “AFrican-American” to define themselves because the Africans didn’t have the same set up experiences and social constraints the “African-Americans” felt they have dealt with and therefore don’t deserve the same privilege. The Africans were outraged because they were from African nations. I think this has become all to typical of Black americans. They feel they have the right to define everyone, to slap a label on or take it away at their leisure. I don’t feel I have that right and so I’ll let Marianne define herself as she sees fit.
    -----------------------------------------------------

If Thandie said what she did about AJ ‘being blacked up to play a black woman’ then she can go fuck herself. With that statement, IF she made it, she didn’t need to be playing the French born Mariane NO WAY - it’s too bad, but she’s just as fucked up as many of us here are in the U.S. when it comes to race (no surprise, being half African w/ a white mother in the heart of Anglo-Saxon territory) - but STILL, seeing as she’s mid-thirties and hopefully would have seen more of the world outside her own by now, it’s a sad commentary…that she doesn’t realize the diverse background of this woman lends itself to a cultural identity she may or may not share with Thandie. Or is Thandie raising her two half white kids by her white husband to be ‘BLACK.’ Somehow I doubt it. Seeing as she was scandalously f*****g some old white Australian director when she was 15 to 18 or so , she dated Brad Pitt in the mid nineties, and now she’s married to a white guy…I mean some might even say that maybe BOTH Brad and Angelina are more accepting of ‘black’ folks in their life and family…than Thandie.

I like Thandie but she is being a hypocrite. My only issue with her is this–in EVERY role i’ve seen her in (with the exception of Crash) she’s playing the “exotic black girl” opposite some dorky looking white guy.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

^^How did I know that was coming? hehe

Oh come on you guys. At least nitelite raises decent points, instead of implying angie is a bad actress because she kissed her brother on the lips and it's forever immortalized in photography.

yeah whatever each to their own.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread Information