Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Thandie Newton "Shocked" at Blackface Angelina Jolie

So, is that Jack guy gay or not dammit?

Aww bless you!! I wish I knew the answer honey so I could put you out of your misery but I aint a clue!

PISS funny though!!!!!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Spock wasn't actually played by a half Vulcan. Leonard Nemoy is human and unbelievably they used prosthetic ears on him! Surely they could have found some half vulcan actor for the role. I'm outraged.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I'm incensed that in all the movies where people are burned, they didn't use actual burn victims but prosthetic makeup!

I'm seething with anger!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Ok, so using the example of Tiger Woods and Halle Berry, a couple of months ago I was at lunch with friends and co-workers and they were talking about Tiger considering himself more Asian while Halle considers herself to be black. My friend chims in saying that black people are proud of these two because they have come so far in representing the "black community", but not to his family. Why? Because his family is black, not mixed and he said they don't consider them to be "black enough". His words, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    So, is that Jack guy gay or not dammit?

he is GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY GAY...AND GHEY for good measure!!!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

I think that's true, any percentage of you that is black, and you are considered black. Which is weird because not all others are like that. Like my husband has 1/8 middle eastern in him, and so, of course, my kids also have a small percentage. So when my son got accepted to a private high school they asked if what race he was. When that little part was brought up (for a possible discount!), they informed us that it has to be at least 1/4 of you of a certain race to be considered that race (instead of white/caucasian). What kind of double standard is that? Granted both my kids have blonde hair and green eyes like me, so they don't look like they have any middle east/mediterranean in them like their dad. I'm Finnish & Slovenian and they are the spitting image of me. ANYWAY, that's the experience we had with mixed race. Anything other then black, if it's watered down enough with white, you are no longer considered that race.

By the way, kind of on the same subject, is there anyone on this board that is of the black race, but more caribbean/jamaican? One of my friends is black, from Jamaica, raised in England, and she said she get "Really pissed when people call her African American" because she's not from Africa. My kids got yelled at for calling someone black, telling them to say African-American instead. My kids brought up the Jamaican thing, and this teacher said that the jamaicans are still intermixed with africans. Now, my jamaican friend said that is a crock. What are your opinions?

I'd bet money she never even said this. The Sun never gets anything right.

Unless you were BORN in africa, then that label is stupid.

I don't go around calling myself a German-Canadian.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Bloody hell, Jen, I mean slimandsexxy, can't you and Angie, I mean nitelite, take this somewhere else? The only time I actually see slimandsexxy is when an AJ thread pops up. Seems awfully obssesive. Someone please lock this thread so we can all be spared another round of St. Angie is a madonna whore?
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Nooo! The insanity must continue!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Unless you were BORN in africa, then that label is stupid.

I don't go around calling myself a German-Canadian.
    Thank you Grimm....I knew I could on you for an honest answer! I think it's ridiculous too.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Why? Why must it continue? Why must I be forced to sit through page after page after page after page after page of repetative arguments with nary a soul backing down one iota from their original opinion. Brad and AJ aren't boring...these fucking threads are! Ok, maybe not but really, I think some of these people are forgetting to take their meds.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I always get asked where I come from...why can't some ppl mind their own business? Ppl tend to ask you this if you are not white, like my hubby for example, he grew up here since age 2 and has no accent (well just Canadian accent) but ppl still ask him where he's from. So it's not like you can just say "I'm Canadian" you have to add this I'm "so-and-so" Canadian.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Why? Why must it continue? Why must I be forced to sit through page after page after page after page after page of repetative arguments with nary a soul backing down one iota from their original opinion. Brad and AJ aren't boring...these fucking threads are! Ok, maybe not but really, I think some of these people are forgetting to take their meds.
    Butty, dear.. if i put down this gun that I've been holding to your head, will you stop reading threads you hate?

Silver Member

As for the one drop rule, I think for a lot of black people (some of my family members included) that have an "us" vs. "them" mentality. So if you're mixed with black and another race, claiming black was a way of setting yourself against "the enemy" and establishing solidarity with other black people. For instance, there were some members of my family who were mixed, but looked white, so they moved to the west coast and passed as white, denying their black blood. I think that sort of incident is still fresh in the minds of many people of color (after all, we're not that far removed from slavery, Jim Crow, etc...). Since "whiteness" seems to be the gold standard for many people (in terms of beauty, status, etc..), there's backlash against mixed people who don't claim black, as if they're not proud of it or are trying to downplay it. Its kinda the same way that some black men feel that la ighter skinned girlfriend is a symbol of status and therefore won't touch any woman who is "too dark" or "ethnic" looking. Also keep in mind the whole "Black Pride" movement where the thing to do was to embrace blackness and reject whiteness. There can of course be a balance (be proud of your heritage if you're black, but don't hate whiteness at the same time), but often for many people it was either you're with us or you're a self-hating "Uncle Tom".

But it's not just a self-imposed attitude for black people. The whole one-drop rule was established by white people to prevent free black people from voting or exercising their rights. It was basically a way to segregate. One side of my family has almost no black blood, but because they were mixed with a tiny bit of black blood, a lot of white blood, and a bit more of something else (we think Hispanic, but we're not sure), in their community they were by default "black".

I'm not excusing these attitudes, I'm merely pointing out that it's a sensitive, contentious subject, and that since a lot of the racial history is very recent, it's not easy for a lot of people to say "hey, let's just get over it." We're not coming at this with a clean slate, so we've got quite a way to go before it's all behind us.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information