Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Irwin dead...

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Stingray barbs

I think sting rays over in Oceania are bigger? (I kinda remember being scared of them when I lived in NZ and went swimming at the beach).

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Bronze Member

This is definitely shocking news. My thoughts are with his family.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Shocked. Really shocked. I was sure it would be a croc that would get him in the end.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Either a croc or a snake. My son as well as my youngest nephew developed their foundess for snakes and learning about them from watching Steve.
    My prayers and thoughts are with his family.

This is just such a tragedy for Australia and more so his family. Steve did great things to promote Australian tourism. It is truely a huge loss for our country and my heart saddens to think of his wife and those two little kids growing up without a dad.

Just did a drive by of the zoo, it closed an hour ago and there are heaps of people outside the entrance laying flowers around the wooden crocodile statue out the front of the zoo. All the news crews are there doing their stories and filming. Many of the staff are still there consoling each other.

KD
    Elite Member

^That is so sweet and touching.

The news saddens me. I miss him already
    I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
    That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?---Jean Kerr

oh man! that's sad! this news ruined my day. his poor family! my heart goes out to them!

Silver Member

Poor family. Those poor little children. That poor wife.

Poor world for losing a guy who actually had a real effect on people and the environment without losing his mind over it or expecting any praise.

Bronze Member

That is so sad.

When I opened the yahoo start page a bit earlier, a picture of Steve Irwin was up, and I thought nothing of it till I read the headline, "Crocodile Hunter Killed". The first words out of my mouth were "Oh my GOD." It was just so shocking, I couldn't believe it. When I told my mum, she got teary-eyed and said the world had lost a good person.

Growing up, I knew about the Crocodile Hunter, and watched him on television sometimes. It's strange to think that he is dead, since he seemed so invincible.

And his family. They must be devastated. Now his children won't grow up with a father. It's all around very sad.

Its just seems very unreal. At times I found his enthusiasm incredibly irritating, and you couldn't help wishing that something would give him a little nibble - like the Komodo dragon. But I admired his zest for life and his absolute, utter, passionate love of all creatures however unloveable they might seem to the rest of us. A man who has made a huge impression on so many people. My 8 year old son aboslutely adores watching him on tv. Steve mate you will be sadly missed, our condolences to your family.
    Stella Galaxy ... 16 hands of irish trouble

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/en...736688000.html

Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin Killed

Mon Sep 04, 3:48 AM ET

Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when he was stung, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

He collapsed at Batt Reef, near Low Isle and the resort town of Port Douglas, Queensland state police said in a statement. Port Douglas is about 1,260 miles north of Brisbane, the state capital.

A rescue helicopter rushed to the scene but Irwin had died, the statement said.

Queensland ambulance service spokesman Bob Hamil confirmed that a diver had been killed by a stingray off Lowe Isles Reef and said cause of death appeared to be a "stingray strike to the chest."

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at the Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his month-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken.

Irwin was also seen as a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.

Irwin told the Australian television program "A Current Affair" that "killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me."

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Irwin for his work in promoting Australia through projects such as "G'Day LA," an Australian tourism and trade promotion week in Los Angeles in January.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas," Downer's spokesman Tony Parkinson said.

Stingrays have flat bodies and tails with serrated spines, which contain venom and can cause cuts and puncture wounds. The creatures are not aggressive and injury usually occurs when a swimmer or diver accidentally steps on one.

I'm not gonna change my opinion about him because he's dead: I couldn't and can't stand the guy. I hated the way he spoke, that awful accent and I didn't like how he sometimes handled the animals on his show. They just showed a scene on TV after the incident where he fed a huge croc with his one month old son Bob on his arm. He later put the infant on his tiny feet and humped him around as if he were walking. Even if there hadn't been a croc in the same pen, he'd still be handling a 1 month old infant - his own - way too roughly. He said the child would only have been in danger if there had been an earthquake, the ground would have moved and have caused him to trip and fall into the croc's mouth..... If I'd zap through the channels and come across a commercial on Animal Planet I'd see what show was on. If it was him, I'd zap on, if it weren't I might stay and watch.

Having said the above, I'm deeply sorry for those left behind, his wife and especially his children who are only 8 and 2 years old. And his parents. It always is extra hard when parents survive their children. R.I.P.
    Last edited by HWBL; September 4th, 2006 at 05:17 AM.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

The 'freak accident' was probably caused by him trying to antagonise the creature into doing something. It is a shame that he got killed, but he built his career on 'omigod did you see that?!?!' moments and like has already been said, it caught up with him this time.

I wonder if we shall see the fateful incident. There was a quote on IMDB, from the man himself saying words to the effect of ' If I ever get killed by an animal I hope it is filmed, otherwise it'd be a waste'

BTW Stingray barbs can be up to 39cm long. That's pretty darn big!!

Mildly grim piccy:
    http://www.seaturtlehospital.org/raybarb1.jpg
    Last edited by Rondette; September 4th, 2006 at 04:40 AM. Reason: picture might be a bit too much for sensitive souls!

this is the saddest thing I've heard in a while...I send positive energy and blessings to his family.here is the article that details kind of what happened to him and how he died....a freak accident no less...damn...

World famous wildlife warrior Steve Irwin has died in a freak accident on the Great Barrier Reef, killed by a stingray barb which pierced his chest.

Friends believe the Crocodile Hunter, 44, may have died instantly when struck by the stingray while filming a sequence for his eight-year-old daughter Bindi's new TV series.

The TV star and naturalist's final, fatal confrontation with a wild animal occurred in shallow water at Batt Reef off Port Douglas on Monday morning.

Unconscious, he was pulled aboard his research vessel, Croc One, for a 30-minute dash to Low Isle, where an emergency helicopter had been summoned at about 11am, his Australia Zoo said in a statement.

The crew of the Croc One performed constant CPR during the voyage to Low Isle, but medical staff pronounced Mr Irwin dead about noon.

Mr Irwin's death was only the third known stingray death in Australian waters, said shark and stingray expert Victoria Brims.

Wildlife experts said the normally passive creatures only sting in defence, striking with a bayonet-like barb when they feel threatened or are trodden on.

Those with Mr Irwin say he was swimming in shallow water, snorkelling as his cameraman filmed large bull rays.

"He came over the top of a stingray and the stingray's barb went up and went into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Mr Irwin's friend and manager John Stainton.

Mr Stainton said he and Mr Irwin were in north Queensland to film a new documentary called Ocean's Deadliest.

"It's likely that he possibly died instantly when the barb hit him, and I don't think that he ... felt any pain.

"He died doing what he loved best."

Mr Irwin's body was flown to a morgue in Cairns, where stunned family and friends were gathering on Monday night.

His American-born wife Terri was told of her husband's death while on a walking tour in Tasmania, and has returned to the Sunshine Coast with her two children, Bindi and three-year-old son Bob.

The death of the larger than life Mr Irwin, best known for his catchcry "Crikey!", caused shockwaves around the world, leading TV bulletins in the United States and Britain.

He was one of Australia's best known personalities internationally and a valuable ambassador for the nation and its wildlife.

Mr Irwin was also a global phenomenon, making almost 50 documentaries which appeared on the cable TV channel Animal Planet, and which generated books, interactive games and even toy action figures.

Prime Minister John Howard, once lauded by Mr Irwin as the world's greatest leader, said: "I am quite shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death. It's a huge loss to Australia.

"He was a wonderful character. He was a passionate environmentalist. He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

"He was a great Australian," added Tourism Australia chairman Tim Fischer.

Mourners laid flowers at the entrance of Mr Irwin's Australia Zoo, on Queensland's Sunshine Coast.

Mr Stainton said bad weather had stopped filming for their documentary about some of the world's deadliest sea creatures.

Mr Irwin instead decided on a whim to shoot footage for his daughter Bindi's upcoming series.

"He said 'I might just go off and shoot some segments for Bindi's show, just stuff on the reef and little animals," Mr Stainton said.

"I just said fine, anything that would keep him moving and keep his adrenalin going.

"The next thing I heard on the radio was there was a medical emergency, the little dinghy he was in was bringing him back with the crew.

"Everyone tried absolutely tirelessly to revive him to keep him alive, we cut dinghies loose and made it post haste to Low Isle where we knew the chopper would be able to get in, but I think it's possible he probably died at 11am."

Marine documentary maker Ben Cropp said he had spoken to one of Mr Irwin's production crew.

"Steve got probably maybe a bit too close to the ray, and with the cameraman in front, the ray must have felt sort of cornered.

"It went into a defensive mode, stopped, turned around and lashed out with its tail, which has a considerable spike on it.

"Unfortunately Steve was directly in its path and he took a fatal wound."

University of Melbourne expert Bryan Fry said stingrays only sting in defence.

"Stingrays only sting in defence; they're not aggressive animals so the animal must have felt threatened. It didn't sting out of aggression, it stung out of fear," said Dr Fry, deputy director of the Australian Venom Research.

He said the stingray would have been up to 2.5 metres across, with a "formidable" jagged barb up to 20cm long, capable of tearing flesh. But the stingray's venom would not have been a factor.

Mr Irwin was comfortable around animals, no matter how dangerous, and some wildlife experts warned he took too many risks.

"(But) nothing would ever scare Steve or would worry him. He didn't have a fear of death at all," Mr Stainton said on Monday.

Mr Irwin's enthusiasm and daring made him famous.

The Melbourne-born father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He also starred in movies and helped developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

He grew up near crocodiles, trapping and removing them from populated areas and releasing them in his parents' park, which he took over in 1991.

Bob was involved in a controversial incident in January 2004, when his father held his infant son in one arm as he fed a dead chicken to a crocodile at Australia Zoo.

Child welfare and animal rights groups criticised his actions as irresponsible and tantamount to child abuse.

Mr Irwin said any danger to his son was only a perceived danger and that he was in complete control of the situation.

In June 2004, Mr Irwin came under fire again when it was alleged he came too close to and disturbed some whales, seals and penguins while filming a documentary in Antarctica.

Mr Irwin had close links with Mr Howard and was a guest at The Lodge during a function for US President George W Bush in 2003.

Mr Irwin was also a tourism ambassador and was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA" tourism campaign.

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie said Mr Irwin was an "extraordinary man".

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Nation...222051588.html
    Last edited by glamazon; September 4th, 2006 at 05:08 AM. Reason: addition of article and link
    Talent Works, Genius Creates

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information