Login to remove the ads!
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Prince William and Kate Middleton over

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I'll admit I don't get it when people are bothered by being called Dear, honey, sweetie, whatever, especially by another woman or an older woman. We live in the South and it just feels friendly to me. Like there aren't bigger things to worry about, like someone actually being rude or hateful to you. Context is everything to me.

But when a man does it, who is clearly on the attack, I think that is an entirely different matter. That was the context. I haven't ever been called that by Soth before, and it's not something he does often with others -- I have to conclude that it was deliberate, and intended as a sexist insult. I refuse to look the other way when people exhibit this behavior and think they can get away with it.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; April 16th, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

Can't this just be dropped?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Well, as long as I am being told that I "misunderstood" the situation, and that Soth calls everybody "dear" and "love" because he is Australian, and that he would call a man that as easily as a woman -- all highly implausible and not borne out by his many previous posts in this fourm -- I am not prepared to let it go. I've heard a lot of BS, but I've yet to hear an apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Mira View Post
    The real reason is supposedly the above ^ and gasp shock Kate's mother being crass and common.

Kate's mother probably has more class than any of those idiots. Of course, royal biographer Penny Junor spins it, but we all know who she works for.

Royal split: Snobbery center stage - CNN.com
    Well.... having had experience of this "class" of people, my experience is that the only class that some of them have is NO class at all, and it's NOT very classy to complain that someone else doesn't have any (class).
    (yes, some of them can be incredibly cliquey a***-holes that can't stand anyone else coming into the group since they've all be together since nursery. Kind of like Paris Hilton & fame & her (reported) not liking anyone else to be more famous than her...

Do you think that I said a particular word too many times there? Mmmm...

I went in to town today & the press is full of it, so I didn't buy a paper at all....

But I loved loved LOVED this quote "I don't think the royal family themselves are that snobbish. But I think William's friends certainly are. His polo-playing set are pretty snobbish," she told Reuters." Well, duh... no they won't be snobby because they ARE the standard that some of these f***wits strive to attain! oh dear! Best laugh I've had in ages!!!

PB, you have every reason to be upset. I can do without the "sweetie" and "honey" business except when the endearments are being used by family members or friends. Being called "sweetie" in a condescending or sarcastic tone, who needs that?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I'll admit I don't get it when people are bothered by being called Dear, honey, sweetie, whatever, especially by another woman or an older woman. We live in the South and it just feels friendly to me. Like there aren't bigger things to worry about, like someone actually being rude or hateful to you. Context is everything to me.
    You're right, context is everything... but generally I don't like it because it is often used to be condescending and/or gain the upper hand in a conversation or situation. I especially don't like it when used on me by women who are close to me in age, but who mistakenly think I'm a lot younger than they are. Another place this happens is in discount-type stores. Sometimes these people get corrected, and sometimes they don't depending upon my mood and the spirit in which the "endearment" was intended.

I'm from the south too and it's always been "sweetie", "honey", "sugar" and "baby". However, I have a friend who uses the term "sweet cheeks" simply to be a bitch. She kinda sneers it and gives a look like she stepped in shit. Next time she calls me "sweet cheeks", I'm gonna kick her right in hers.

As for Kate and William, anyone else thinking it's possible that she'll be William's Camilla?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Well it's possible but I think they'll try to marry him off at 30 to someone with a title. Kate and her family are too common for those stuffed old twits.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Well, as long as I am being told that I "misunderstood" the situation, and that Soth calls everybody "dear" and "love" because he is Australian, and that he would call a man that as easily as a woman -- all highly implausible and not borne out by his many previous posts in this fourm -- I am not prepared to let it go. I've heard a lot of BS, but I've yet to hear an apology.
    You get nothing for misunderstanding the motives of others. You can speculate and pontificate until the cows come home. I've finally understood your motivations and animosity....its simple.....you dont "get me" or my posts. And please, just a favour for me, dont bleed your opinions into other threads.....its embarassing....and against the rules apparently.....so Im performing a citizens arrest on you......thats 3 poionts

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I'm from the south too and it's always been "sweetie", "honey", "sugar" and "baby". However, I have a friend who uses the term "sweet cheeks" simply to be a bitch. She kinda sneers it and gives a look like she stepped in shit. Next time she calls me "sweet cheeks", I'm gonna kick her right in hers.
    So Mel, what's the whole "well bless your heart" deal? Is it a polite put down? I always want to use that phrase.

I don't think Kate will be a Camilla. She'll find some nice, normal guy and forget all about that inbred family of doofuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Picara View Post
    So Mel, what's the whole "well bless your heart" deal? Is it a polite put down? I always want to use that phrase.

I don't think Kate will be a Camilla. She'll find some nice, normal guy and forget all about that inbred family of doofuses.
    "Bless your heart" or "Bless his/her little heart" means you just said something bad about somebody and want to sugarcoat it a little - kinda making up for the put-down. For example: I saw her the other day at the Wal-Mart and it looked like her ass was trying to eat her pants - bless her poor little heart. you can put all sorts of words in with bless your heart - poor little, pea picking, whatever. It's not an insult and when someone says it to your face, they are just being nice - it's like a "God bless you" without having to sneeze.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    "Bless your heart" or "Bless his/her little heart" means you just said something bad about somebody and want to sugarcoat it a little - kinda making up for the put-down. For example: I saw her the other day at the Wal-Mart and it looked like her ass was trying to eat her pants - bless her poor little heart. you can put all sorts of words in with bless your heart - poor little, pea picking, whatever. It's not an insult and when someone says it to your face, they are just being nice - it's like a "God bless you" without having to sneeze.
    Thanks. I love Southern manners.

I always loved the wiccan phrase ..."blessed be"....it seemed so full of love, and free from any baggage.....

I NEVER saw this coming...seeing as i just saw candids of them like a few days ago coming out of a club......sucks to be her....then agian shes probably the luckiest girl in the world. last thing we need is another Diana....i think she just couldnt take the pressure.
    "I'll probably just end up in some seedy bar with some seedy blonde"-some random Englishman

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information