Login to remove the ads!
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Prince William and Kate Middleton over

That sucks. With all the bad shit in the world today, I really wanted to see a happy public event. I was looking forward to getting up at 2 am to watch.

Diana and Charles' wedding seems like a 100 years ago to me. But there will be another royal wedding, just not with Kate.

A*O

She was his first girlfriend (not sure about vice versa) and like all First Love relationships it's failed because he's woken up and realised there's plenty of other fish out there. Let's not forget that he may be The Sensible Prince (as opposed to his doofus brother) but he's also Diana's son and there's a few unpredictable genes floating around in there.
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

He has plenty of time to find somebody else. Kate Middleton seemed like an excellent choice, but apparently she decided she didn't want to live her life in a fishbowl. At least she realized this before jumping into marriage with Prince William.

Gold Member

YES! I knew he loved me!

Now you just have to get over to England and make him realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    He's been a Bad Boy recently with a lot of partying with ho's so if it's over then Kate's kicked him to the curb. Perhaps she's also used it an excuse to get on with a normal life instead of being sucked into the Royal Family and groomed to be queen one day. I may be wrong but I suspect William will end up marrying someone who understands the responsibilities and limitations of that role - a mistake they made with Diana who didn't have a clue. He will marry a nice European princess/aristo just like all his ancestors. The Royal Family has 'experimented' with allowing heirs and spares to marry 'out' (Diana and Fergie) and look what happened.
    Agree - in some ways she seemed very 'nice' and suitable, but in other ways I think those in charge of the Royals in the UK would be VERY keen to have a nice Old World aristocratic meeting of titles marriage. Denmark has had a stable monarchy with few scandals and could afford to do the whole fairytale come true for Mary, but I really think Lizzie et al would like a very very traditional bride for William. They can't afford any more Dianas or Fergies!

Elite Member

^^ I agree. I, too, believe she dumped him. Hard to believe someone would kick the future King and most eligible bachelor to the curb, but I'm convinced she did. She's really been finding the intense media scrutiny too much to bear as of late. I also think she got a taste of what was coming down the pipes in terms of pomp and circumstance and bailed. Very smart girl. The Royals are stuffy and boring. No wonder Di saw no way out. Fortunately Kate did and William's recent bad boy behaviour was the excuse she needed to call the relationship kaput.

A*O

I'm no defender of the monarchy, but despite all the wealth and pampered luxury it IS a pretty shitty life, especially for the sovereign him/herself. You basically don't have a life of your own. It's all public duty, formality and doing what's expected of you. Our dear old 80yr old Queen has been doing this every single day for the last 50 years and she doesn't get to 'retire' from the daily grind until the day she dies. Your every waking moment is scheduled and although it sounds great to have servants do everything for you it's incredibly claustrophobic having people hovering around you 24/7. There is absolutely NO privacy - even away from the public gaze. I think that unless you are born and brought up in that environment and therefore regard these limitations and restrictions as 'normal' then any outsider is going to find it almost impossible to deal with. It's all very well having vast wealth and resources at your disposal but if you can't actually DO anything with them it's pretty much a gilded prison.
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

Elite Member

Hopefully she can move on now without the press saying she is the one that got away. Maybe in time they will get back together..who knows. I think it is good that he is going is live a little before he does decide to get married. I hope she doesn't becomes his Camilla though, sitting in the wings waiting.

I'm no defender of the monarchy, but despite all the wealth and pampered luxury it IS a pretty shitty life, especially for the sovereign him/herself. You basically don't have a life of your own. It's all public duty, formality and doing what's expected of you. Our dear old 80yr old Queen has been doing this every single day for the last 50 years and she doesn't get to 'retire' from the daily grind until the day she dies. Your every waking moment is scheduled and although it sounds great to have servants do everything for you it's incredibly claustrophobic having people hovering around you 24/7. There is absolutely NO privacy - even away from the public gaze. I think that unless you are born and brought up in that environment and therefore regard these limitations and restrictions as 'normal' then any outsider is going to find it almost impossible to deal with. It's all very well having vast wealth and resources at your disposal but if you can't actually DO anything with them it's pretty much a gilded prison.

Yep - the fairytale of being a princess sounds wonderful, bet the reality is shithouse though!!

She was his first girlfriend (not sure about vice versa) and like all First Love relationships it's failed because he's woken up and realised there's plenty of other fish out there. Let's not forget that he may be The Sensible Prince (as opposed to his doofus brother) but he's also Diana's son and there's a few unpredictable genes floating around in there.
    True. The tabs here in England are speculating that he broke up because he wanted to concentrate on his military career. Also they are saying that he felt he was too young to settle down. Like you say, she was his first serious girlfriend. I thought they would last for at least another 1 or 2 years. But it looks like the relationship ran its course.

As for Clarence House not making a statement. On Royals private lives they hardly ever do. Since WillKat were not married, they probably won't comment. But i believe the stories about these two breaking up, it's all over the media here.

Shame because Kate really was the dream woman, wasn't she? Discreet, from a respectable background, with no bones in her closet. The media loved her because they are desperate for another glamouros member of the Brit Royal Family.

It'll be hard for Will's to find someone who'll want to marry into the Windsors. Fergie and Di had such a hard time of it and that family are so weird IMO and highly dysfunctional. I feel that Kate probably had a lucky escape. If she had married Will's her life would have been so restricted and controlled.

Silver Member

even tho its the news of the world i tend to beleive theres some truth in it, or is it me just being cynial
    News of the World: News

Elite Member

I wouldn't wish this life on my worst enemy. Kate definitely dodged a very big bullet. At the same time, I find it hard to believe people don't know what they're getting themselves into with the Royal family. Even Diana spent a lot of time at the Palace prior to her engagement and wedding being groomed for what would become her way of life. She not only admitted at the time that she found the life lonely and stuffy, she also admitted knowing that Charles was screwing Camilla behind her back and that makes me think she simply had stars in her eyes. She could have gotten out. She was very young so I'll give her some slack, but I think there's a lot of naivete that the life is a glamourous one and that way of thinking can't wholely be blamed on the Royal family. I don't truly believe they mislead anyone. Hell, I'm not even part of that 'set' and I know it would definitely not be the life for me regardless how handsome and charming a Prince may be.

As for the World of the News article - totally believable. I think it sums up what more than likely happened perfectly. I like Kate. I like her spunk. That line "He's lucky to have me" tells me she'd never have been as naive as Diana was. That said, times are different. Kate's independent - she went to University - and she's also had the good fortune to spend a lot of personal time with Williams over the 5 years before considering marriage that Diana wasn't allowed. Oh - and she had a man who truly loved her and a monarchy who genuinely accepted her into the fold. The odds weren't stacked against Kate as they were Diana. I think Kate would make sure of that. She does seem the type who would offer an ultimatum (and who could blame her after 5 years) and stick to it. I hope William doesn't follow in his father's footsteps and become a man who hops from woman to woman. Kate will be a hard act to follow for reasons stated upthread. That said, William is young and I believe he made the right decision. The timing's just unfortunate. He should have met Kate when he was closer to settling down. Maybe they'll be drawn back to each other again someday.
    Last edited by Elisa; April 15th, 2007 at 08:12 AM.

The royals did not want a commoner entering to their circle. Kate will have recieved a small settlement (to coin a phrase), maybe stipend is more accurate, the royals will have given her $ to have walked away Im sure, but I would prefer not to be misquoted....they were in a monogomous relationship and nothing else, and Q Liz will have an amount of control after the dramas of Fergie and Di......the behaviour of William was understandable but not fair on Kate but he's what....22?

Post script. Since PB had a go whithout my right of reply, I will make it public again (sorry to go OT guys).....neither comment was sexist, or intended to be...maybe there was a lost in translation moment, maybe it was some sort of brain fart.....I thought it empowering that a girl, a commoner at that, had the chance to be the future queen of England and walked away from it.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information