Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oprah's girl's school "a nightmare" and "a prison" say parents

Ill bet that there is a thriving black market going on under the teachers noses of junk food being traded for cash / favours and clothes. Hey there, you godda try this pixy stick, its grade A, primo shit. $20 bucks

I paid 25 bucks for a coke once......

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    As someone that has been to a boarding school I can tell you that this is not even slightly out of the ordinary. Elitist academys pride them selves on a blanket of secrecy to achieve their culture of mistique. They thrive on others not being able to look over the fence to find out why the school believes its self to be so special. Kids are placed in an environment completely alien to them in the schools hopes that they can mold impressionable minds into what they believe to be best best for the child. Usually the draconian systems and rules are excused by the term "tradition", but The big O's school being new cant rely on that. Parents that send these kids to any boarding school do so because they want the child to have an opportunity in life that they themselves either got, or greater than those they did. Otherwise they would not put the lives of their precious kids in the hands of strangers.
    Boarding schools feel like prisons a lot of the time, but you are free to not obliged to stay any longer than you as a student or parent are willing. So it is nothing like jail really.

And I hope Oprah chokes on a ham sandwich
    You're exactly right. Something about boarding schools give me the creeps. Maybe it's all those movies.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

It sounds like someones mother needs to cut the umbilical cord. Why do people that are given free things always seem to be the loudest to complain?

Im sorry but I never saw the point of "boarding" schools. There's NFW I would ever want to be in a school with no "treats" and really limited contact with my parents. I think all that is BS. Sorry, England people.

Soth u are 100% correct, here in South Africa - it is the land of loudest complaints - everything is expected to be given for FREE - but heaven help them if it isnt up to their standards
    Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here...
    www.fashion-templates.com

Olivia the point is to manufacture an elitist club of children mostly from the richest/influential areas of society, and begin a networking system bw all of them at a young age to be taken advantage of in later life.

It is also a place for trophy wives to throw away their unwanted stepchildren legally

This however is like Oprahs Human Hobby farm for the downtrodden (she will develop a cast system in africa......oh hang on)

Im just glad I never had to "go away to school" when I was pre college.
    Boarding schools, as im sure y'all know, aren't big in the US.

I would just hate to have rules lorded over me. At least in college dorms you are mostly free to do whatever.

I wonder why she wanted to build a boarding school. Why not just a regular school?

Im no fan of Oprah, but it seems to be a recurring theme - Control

Bronze Member

Sounds almost like good ole American style "troubled teen boot camp" rules, to which I say, WATCH OUT! Anytime the child's ability to contact the 'outside'/family is restricted or forbidden, this is a huge danger sign.
    Check out ISACCORP.org, it will pop your eyes out.

This reminds me of the simpsons episode where the kids go to krsuty the clown camp and the conditions are appalling.... and krusty himself doesn't even know the place existed.

It sounds like a well run school to me. I bet some of these parents are just itching to sue.

Ms dobie , It sounds like a boarding school.

I so want to attack the O but, sometimes parents overreact ya know
    Last edited by Soth; March 13th, 2007 at 07:59 AM.

When they go on holiday for a month in April they'll be stuffing themselves with sweets and chocolates in any case.

I don't know about that. I watched the documentary about the girls' homes and most of them didn't have much to eat. There certainly wasn't any chocolate. Many of them stated that the first time they ever had enought to eat, was when they came to the school.

I hope this isn't true. A diet of fruits and yoghurt? Not allowed to see their families? Please let this be a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia720 View Post
    Im sorry but I never saw the point of "boarding" schools. Sorry, England people.
    People in the forces here send their children to boarding school - they used to get grants to be able to afford to do so, so that their children aren't disadvantaged when the parents are posted overseas. This is how the majority of my friends ended up at boarding school. (Now the education on foreign bases has improved, however I believe that it is still an option.)

Yes, I can appreciate that snap is a blackmarket produce, however with all the reports linking good nutrition to intellectual development, I have no surprise or shock that any school tries to limit the number of E numbers & sugars ingested by students.

Just because a system is foreign to what one has previously experienced does not mean that it is wrong. It is just different

Novice, Im so glad that the government in your part of the world has shown a bias towards the learning academies they fight to provide for the mases, by saying that it is not the money, its the institution.

If you are willing to die for your country, heres the golden ticket. - Fuck that

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information