Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Lily Allen: "Americans are backward"

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^
    actually i think the brits are still eons ahead of americans in music. not in terms of what sells, maybe (but then most people have crap taste) but in terms of evolving and inventing new sounds. i mean, the US isn't even into electronic yet and the only UK band that has made it in the US recently is oasis, which is sad when you consider the brilliant bands in the UK.
    Not disputing this, but Amy Winehouse reminds me of the girl groups of the 60's (w/ a new twist) and Joss Stone has a bluesy sound. These types of "new" music (R&B) started in America a loooong time ago. Just a couple of examples, I know.

It really all started with Elvis IMO.

By the way, I'm finally getting to hear some Amy Winehouse and am loving it! Girl's got talent.

Though she seems like a bitch, I'm downloading some Lily Allen right now to see if she's any good.
    Afterall, it's the music that counts, not the singer's attitude.

^^That's a purist's attitude! Good for you.

Me, I'm a spiteful bitch myself; if I find out the singer is a horrible person it turns me off and I refuse to support them by buying anything of theirs. It really kills me when I like the music, but it's the principle of the thing that matters most to me.

So right now I'm not looking at buying any Lily Allen CD's. I do like her songs but singing along to the radio will do just fine.

ITA with ya Novice

I absolutely cannot stand Lily Allen, I think she represents everything that's wrong with England (the rest of the UK have different attitudes and problems to England), and it's really awful. There are some really awesome people in British music just now, but Lily Allen is such a gobshite that she's the one who gets focussed on. She's a total idiot and I can't wait until nobody remembers her any more.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post

Me, I'm a spiteful bitch myself; if I find out the singer is a horrible person it turns me off and I refuse to support them by buying anything of theirs. It really kills me when I like the music, but it's the principle of the thing that matters most to me.

So right now I'm not looking at buying any Lily Allen CD's. I do like her songs but singing along to the radio will do just fine.
    I'm quite the same. I'd never buy anything by Britney or Michael Jackson on principle. Thankfully, I think their music is complete shite so I wouldn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by VenusInFauxFurs View Post
    I'm quite the same. I'd never buy anything by Britney or Michael Jackson on principle. Thankfully, I think their music is complete shite so I wouldn't want to.
    I'm afraid you need to add Elton John to that list, Venus (actually not that I think you'll be buying him, to be honest...)

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    I'm afraid you need to add Elton John to that list, Venus (actually not that I think you'll be buying him, to be honest...)
    No, no Elton for me, I am afraid I do not feel the love tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post

Who said anything about buying......

I have to listen to it for free before spending any money. If it's really good, then I'll buy it to support the artist.

I know what you mean though. I'm especially like that with actors-- if they piss me off it overflows into their movies and I won't watch. There's no way in hell I will ever watch any Tom Cruise movies.

I'm sure they all suck anyway.

Bronze Member

I take back what I said about lip-synching and canned music.

I looked at some SXSW blogs, and she played at Stubbs with a full band, including a horn section. The blogs were really positive about her performance, so it doesn't sound like the crowd was rude.

Something called NME hosted the show, and she did call them "spineless cunts." But as I understand it, NME is British. Don't know what Texas did to earn the Lilly hate, but since she spreads it around, I won't take it personally.

A*O

Australia has some GREAT bands, although only a few make it into a wider audience. It's not just Kylie! Think of Savage Garden, silverchair, INXS (RIP), AC/DC, Russell Crowe (joke!). I guess if you like R&B/rap stuff then the US probably still produces the best 'artistes' in that genre (even if they are former drug dealers and crims) but when it comes to songwriting talent, musicianship and innovation then you'd have to look elsewhere.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by VadaFaith View Post
    I take back what I said about lip-synching and canned music.

I looked at some SXSW blogs, and she played at Stubbs with a full band, including a horn section. The blogs were really positive about her performance, so it doesn't sound like the crowd was rude.

Something called NME hosted the show, and she did call them "spineless cunts." But as I understand it, NME is British. Don't know what Texas did to earn the Lilly hate, but since she spreads it around, I won't take it personally.
    NME (New Musical Express) & MM (Melody Maker - if its still going?) are music press for musicians.
    Some of the greats have had classifieds for musicians in these papers.
    NME take no prisoners, if its crap, they'll say its crap. Used to be a bad review was a rite of passage.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If you want to see Brits at their best try and catch a daytime talk show called "Trish". It's chavtastic!
    One of the most frightening things I ever heard was from a friend who lived in England for a few years, about 6 years ago. She said the English watch and love The Jerry Springer Show, and think that is how Americans really are...so I sudddenly understand how they would think we are all fat, loud and stupid, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    What did Elton do?

Quote Originally Posted by irishpig View Post
    What did Elton do?
    Yeah, I love Elton.

Way to crack America Lily you ass

Quote Originally Posted by Fashion Critic View Post
    Way to crack America Lily you ass
    Yeah, she be cuttin' her nose off to spite her face!

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information