Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Lily Allen: "Americans are backward"

I truly appeciate everyone's input. Chilly,I had no idea. Pinklilycat-you don't have to apologise for anothers short sightedness! None of us live in perfect countries, but all try hard. All of us have dead-beat citizens,alas. Those are in the minority. Mostly, we are world citizens all doing our best with what we have to offer. I love it that we can all talk on here & learn so much! Just be proud-all of you-that we are not those narrow minded people suffering from poverty of the soul. They are cutting themselves off from so many great people. Not us!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    seriously, who gives a shit if someone trashes your country? i couldn ever understand why that bugs people so much. it's just someone's opinion.
    That's all fine and good when it doesn't affect you, especially if it's just talk, which is easier to ignore. But you might change your mind when you're treated like garbage based on some stereotype.

^^
    i'm not talking about actually getting treated like shit. i'm just talking about criticism of a country. who cares if someone doesn't like your country or criticises aspects of it? no country is perfect. no one owes any country praise.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Hit By Ban Bus!

Wow, Chilly I had no idea (same with Novice's story). I grew up clueless to the fact that this shit happens to Germans. I certainly wasn't taught that and never heard about it.. but my parents were church-going liberal types who wouldn't dream of behaving that way. The only thing I experienced was from a German-descended kid who in 6th grade called me "Big Barftha, the Nazi's prime weapon". I always figured it was because he was German that he did that.

Funny thing, I called him up a few years ago when I saw that he is now an attorney and he was working a few blocks from me... he claimed not to remember me, but he taunted me like that during the entire 6th grade! (crush?) Anyway, it gives me some insight into perhaps why he did that, and I'm now wondering if he and his family encountered the same kind of treatment that you described.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^
    i'm not talking about actually getting treated like shit. i'm just talking about criticism of a country. who cares if someone doesn't like your country or criticises aspects of it? no country is perfect. no one owes any country praise.
    Attitudes based on stereotypes reinforce and perpetuate the shitty behavior, basically. And besides, I have an opinion on everything.
    I suppose I'm an angry female, but I find message boards to be really boring without a heated discussion now and then.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think most of us feel that way. It's good to strike a balance between Pollyanna and Medusa, occasionally letting the pendulum swing where it will

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I truly appeciate everyone's input. Chilly,I had no idea. Pinklilycat-you don't have to apologise for anothers short sightedness! None of us live in perfect countries, but all try hard. All of us have dead-beat citizens,alas. Those are in the minority. Mostly, we are world citizens all doing our best with what we have to offer. I love it that we can all talk on here & learn so much! Just be proud-all of you-that we are not those narrow minded people suffering from poverty of the soul. They are cutting themselves off from so many great people. Not us!
    Amen! It's their loss. I'm grateful that I was raised open minded. It's a privilege.

Those poor sucker who aren't open to foreign cultures! My life was enriched by every foreigner I met. The different perspectives on life, the exchange of thoughts, I'm addicted to that. All I know about myself and this world is what I learned in other cultures, whether it's the Iranian guy living next door in my hometown or the people I met while traveling abroad.

Just look at the intercourse we're having on this board right now! I learn so much about Aussies, English folks, Canucks, South Americans, Asians, and over and over again, Americans. That's such a thrill, if I didn't have that in my life, I'd pity my sorry ass.

Time for a grouphug.

Last edited by Chilly Willy; March 29th, 2007 at 01:01 PM.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Thank you all for the posts. I've learned a lot.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Here here, Chilly!

I ve lived in the US for a couple of years and i ve lived in some European countries too,there is a difference in culture wich is natural.
    US is a new world going through growing pains.
    Europe is old ..its a bit like a young arrogant girl and a middleaged more wise lady.
    Where i live is a crossroads of cultures,races,religions,so we re more open and easy going.
    For many reasons Americans are not well liked now.
    I can recall though,times when everything American was the best,the music,movies,literature,and i wonder what,s gone wrong.
    Anyway,i was brought up to believe that visiting a country is like going to someone,s house.You just cant be rude,you dont insult,and if you dont like it,dont ever go back..
    That chick is lippy.

Not this person again. Wasn't she the one that claimed US customs agents have it out for her?
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

A*O

A lot of the hostility towards visitors from other countries is their apparent unwillingness to even try to assimilate, respect local customs or even learn the language. I'm afraid the cliche of Brits (and Americans) yelling in English at hotel staff or shopkeepers in Paris, Rome, Berlin etc is often true. It just so happens that by historical accident English is pretty much the 'universal language' so lucky English speakers don't actually have to make the effort to learn a few words of a foreign language in order to get by because their foreign hosts can usually speak or at least understand a certain amount of English. The same applies to foreign tourists who ignore local dress codes (eg, covering up when entering a church or a restaurant), or disrespect social conventions (eg, taking pictures of people without their permission, a big no-no in many countries). I was truly appalled to see the booring, ignorant behaviour of some Brits when I visited Dubai recently. Women walking into the hotel restaurant wearing nothing but a bathing suit and a flimsy sarong. Trying to take pictures inside mosques when they had been specifically told that non-Muslims are not permitted to enter, let alone take pictures. Walking around the souks (markets) dressed like whores with arms and legs fully exposed. I'm sorry if any feminists object to being told what to wear but it's downright rude and disrespectul to ignore local customs and practices like that. Get over it.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Gold Member

Lily is just reiterating stereotypes that we all know exist. Many Americans think of Texas as backward; I can remember a few people telling me that everyone in Texas is either a redneck/religious nutter or an illiterate illegal immigrant from Mexico, and there was no way in the world they would live there, because of the types of people they percieved to be there. Anyway, Lily has a big mouth and likes to say controversial things, but I can not imagine how slagging off Americans is anything but bad for her career. A lot of patriotic Americans and Texans will not even think of buying her records (if they even know who she is) now, so she's just shot herself in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Lily Allen seems to get off on saying ridiculous, chav-tastic, ignorant INFLAMMATORY things to the press. So I can't take anything she says really seriously BUT....

America-bashing is prevalent, what with the fat, loud, arrogant stereotype, plus the Bush thing really screws us over. I'm in Spain, just had guests over from the U.S. and I'm embarrassed at how a handful of locals treated us in the span of four days. I'm Mexican-American but my friends who were visiting were pretty clearly all-American blonde, blue-eyed gringos. When they tried to order in Spanish--simple things like "cerveza", cafe con leche, coca-cola, they were given the brush off, eye rolls, sighs, like just dealing with an American was physically taxing and inherently frustrating. I've never really seen anything like it before. My friends were in no way rude or loud or presumptuous. They were just Americans. Of course, when we tipped them nicely they were all (hypocritical) smiles.

They went to Tarragona on a day trip without me and told me that when they asked how much it was to see some ruins-type attraction, the first thing they were asked was where they were from. As if that had anything to do with the price. Interestingly enough, when they lied and said they were from Canada, they got in for free.

You get a few bad apples in every lot wherever you go; I understand this, not everyone has been rude to us here upon finding out we're American. But it certainly is ugly when you run into it, and I guess I haven't run into it as much because I don't immediately look or sound American so I've never been treated that badly in the 8 months I've been here.

Bottom line is, to me, it's inexcusable to be rude to anyone, regardless of where they're from, if they're perfectly nice to you.
    It depends on your experience. I was in Spain at the end of last year, and I did not encounter any hostility. I am a white, blonde American and speak no Spanish, so it was probably just the very rude people your friends had the misfortune of encountering. You'd think that people who make a living from tourism could make an effort to be nice, though. I don't understand people who are rude to customers/potential customers.

Down Under - Where women blow and men chunder

I think British artists are bitter and twisted that the U.K aren't the driving force in music anymore and haven't been since the Beatles.
    Hence, the attitude to America who now and have for a while been force to be reckoned with.

They all want the fame and money that comes from being big in America but if they even look like they might be enjoying it, they get called a "sell out" back in the U.K and everyone turns on them. Sad but true.

Even Kylie Minogue who isn't English but Australian but who is supposedly the U.K pop princess has the same attitude to America. She said that she would rather poke her eye out with a fork than ever go there again.
    I believe it's because you guys don't go and bended knee and worship her like they do in the U.K.

As for Lily Allen, she's just one of many who are dying to be big in the States. Unfortunately, their attitudes are holding them back. I really don't like British singers. I think "they" are backward.

"random snapshots used as connective tissue to create a relationship"

^^^
    actually i think the brits are still eons ahead of americans in music. not in terms of what sells, maybe (but then most people have crap taste) but in terms of evolving and inventing new sounds. i mean, the US isn't even into electronic yet and the only UK band that has made it in the US recently is oasis, which is sad when you consider the brilliant bands in the UK.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information