Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 234

Thread: Lily Allen: "Americans are backward"

  1. #76
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11,682

    Default

    ^Yeah! Austin kicks the shit out of fakes, that town rocks!

  2. #77
    Elite Member RevellingInSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Where Being PC is understood as a fault!
    Posts
    11,591

    Default

    Ok dammit! Everyone except me is tied for the second most important person in the world! Of course I am number 1! The Americans, Brits, and French all think they are the best, so I am an American with French and Brit ancestry....I win I win I win.

    Now that we have that cleared up, continue the media fed xenophobia.



  3. #78
    Elite Member Honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    59,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StayYoung&Pretty View Post
    I've noticed that a few British celebrities always have something to say negative about americans. Do the Brits really put themselves above everyone else?

    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo we don't!

    I am insulted if anyone thinks she represents an entire country. All English people are not like this!

  4. #79
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11,682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Ha! You're right, I just realized I was thinking of that Amy Winehouse chick. Wrong cokehead.
    Yeah. Der. I went looking for an Amy Winehouse photo to post, and when I got back, I realized it was for the Lily Allen thread

    BTW that Amy Winehouse is one skanky lookin chick I should post it anyway just for laughs

  5. #80
    Elite Member sweetness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    southeastern U.S.
    Posts
    11,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo we don't!

    I am insulted if anyone thinks she represents an entire country. All English people are not like this!
    Absolutely not.
    She is definitely not representative of all the English folks I've met in RL (or here at GR, as a matter of fact ).

    There's always a few bad ones in any bunch.

  6. #81
    Elite Member ManxMouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lemuria
    Posts
    7,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VadaFaith View Post
    Meaning the Austin audiences didn't fall all over her manufactured BritPop sound. It's a tough town. People expect to hear actual musicians, not media creations.



    If she lip-synched, if she had canned music instead of a band, she probably got heckled. In that respect, Austin's a tough town. See comment above re: actual musicians vs. pop tarts. Authenticity counts. People who actually paid dues. She's riding daddy's coattails. Maybe she got called on it. How crude.



    Doobie-smoking, music loving, over-educated, book-reading slackers? Who don't represent all of Texas any more than that crude cunt represents all of England.

    BTW, George Bush has *never* carried Travis County (Austin) in any election. Not for governor, not for president. That's why the legislature split Austin into three disctricts in 2002, lumping us with a bunch of outlying suburban republicans.
    thank you! absolutely true--every word. (btw, I now share my voting district with suburban Houston 200 miles away--gag) --this is what I meant when I said she doesn't even know what the hell she's talking about. It's not just a battle of insults, if the insults aren't even based on reality, you gotta call someone out on it.

    p.s. I absolutely don't think the English as a whole are negative, and of course they aren't inferior to Americans in any way whatsoever; if I thought that I wouldn't have married one.

  7. #82
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,521

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    Sorry I didn't mean any offense by that- I just mean generally speaking, from what I've seen- Texans like Bush.......but that doesn't mean every one does lol.....I was making a broad generalization.

    Don't mess with Texas.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  8. #83
    Elite Member olivia720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    10,968

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    Ok dammit! Everyone except me is tied for the second most important person in the world! Of course I am number 1! The Americans, Brits, and French all think they are the best, so I am an American with French and Brit ancestry....I win I win I win.

    Now that we have that cleared up, continue the media fed xenophobia.
    My ancestry is English and Irish so I must hate myself!!

  9. #84
    Elite Member Beeyotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    29,946

    Default

    Lily Allen seems to get off on saying ridiculous, chav-tastic, ignorant INFLAMMATORY things to the press. So I can't take anything she says really seriously BUT....

    America-bashing is prevalent, what with the fat, loud, arrogant stereotype, plus the Bush thing really screws us over. I'm in Spain, just had guests over from the U.S. and I'm embarrassed at how a handful of locals treated us in the span of four days. I'm Mexican-American but my friends who were visiting were pretty clearly all-American blonde, blue-eyed gringos. When they tried to order in Spanish--simple things like "cerveza", cafe con leche, coca-cola, they were given the brush off, eye rolls, sighs, like just dealing with an American was physically taxing and inherently frustrating. I've never really seen anything like it before. My friends were in no way rude or loud or presumptuous. They were just Americans. Of course, when we tipped them nicely they were all (hypocritical) smiles.

    They went to Tarragona on a day trip without me and told me that when they asked how much it was to see some ruins-type attraction, the first thing they were asked was where they were from. As if that had anything to do with the price. Interestingly enough, when they lied and said they were from Canada, they got in for free.

    You get a few bad apples in every lot wherever you go; I understand this, not everyone has been rude to us here upon finding out we're American. But it certainly is ugly when you run into it, and I guess I haven't run into it as much because I don't immediately look or sound American so I've never been treated that badly in the 8 months I've been here.

    Bottom line is, to me, it's inexcusable to be rude to anyone, regardless of where they're from, if they're perfectly nice to you.

  10. #85
    Elite Member Chilly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Trolltopia
    Posts
    29,138

    Default

    When I traveled to Mexico and people heard my American accent (while trying to order things, etc.), people were extremely rude to me, too. Ignoring our orders in restaurants, cutting in line in front of me in a bank, etc. An old lady spit on my shoes, while walking by me on the street. Similar things happened in Honduras, too. I know how Americans are sometimes treated abroad. It's similar to being a German.

    When I travel to the Normandie (France), old people who overhear us speaking German, go to the other side of the road or randomly start yelling at us. The same happened to me in Poland.

    On a school trip to Auschwitz we were part of a program where we had to help restaurating the site and the museum. It was traumatizing as a teen to spend days sorting through thousands of shoes or carrying human hair from one showcase to the next. Many of us were literally crying while we did that. Jewish kids were pointing and laughing at us. Naturally, there weren't any Jewish kids on the program.

    Once in the Netherlands an old lady chased me and my friends off the camping site, when she found out we were German.

    On schooltrips in England people yelled "Fliegeralarm" or "Sieg heil" at us. Those were the same idiots who wore Wehrmacht helmets to the World Cup.

    When I lived in the US, the first thing many people asked me about was Hitler. (Of course, those were the same kind of Americans who explained to me what a fridge or a car was.)

    At the World Cup, American football fans sang songs about how everyone who comes to Germany, gets gassed. In fucking 2006.

    Everywhere I go these things happen to me. I grew up being the villain. But with our particular history, I was raised to humbly accept it. My mother always told us: Don't ever fight it, smile politely, apologize, even if you didn't do anything wrong. We're Germans, and we will be paying back forever, it's part of our heritage. It's hurtful and sometimes hard to bear, but I stick to it.

    This is my rant and it's that's the reason I'd never ever make generalizations about other cultures. I just know better and I'm grateful that I do.
    Last edited by Chilly Willy; March 29th, 2007 at 07:15 AM.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-



  11. #86
    Elite Member Beeyotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    29,946

    Default

    Everywhere I go these things happen to me. I grew up being the villain. But with our particular history, I was raised to humbly accept it. My mother always told us: Don't ever fight it, smile politely, apologize for their misbehavior, even if you didn't do anything wrong. We're Germans, and we will be paying back forever, it's part of our heritage. It's hard, but I agree.
    That's a harsh outlook to live with, Chilly, although it's very honorable and mature. I'm not as gracious as that, I'm afraid.

    In terms of one-on-one interactions with people, I think it's always unacceptable to be rude to someone if they've treated you with respect to begin with. I treat other strangers with respect, and I expect to be treated the same. Why get off on the wrong foot with someone you don't know at all?

  12. #87
    Elite Member olivia720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    10,968

    Default

    Thanks for your post Chilly. that opens me up to a new perspective.

    What a lot of the world doesn't realize, is that most americans hate bush too!!
    america does not equal bush!!

  13. #88
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    45,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    When I traveled to Mexico and people heard my American accent (while trying to order things, etc.), people were extremely rude to me, too. Ignoring our orders in restaurants, cutting in line in front of me in a bank, etc. An old lady spit on my shoes, while walking by me on the street. Similar things happened in Honduras, too. I know how Americans are sometimes treated abroad. It's similar to being a German.

    When I travel to the Normandie (France), old people who overhear us speaking German, go to the other side of the road or randomly start yelling at us. The same happened to me in Poland.

    On a school trip to Auschwitz we were part of a program where we had to help restaurating the site and the museum. It was traumatizing as a teen to spend days sorting through thousands of shoes or carrying human hair from one showcase to the next. Many of us were literally crying while we did that. Jewish kids were pointing and laughing at us. Naturally, there weren't any Jewish kids on the program.

    Once in the Netherlands an old lady chased me and my friends off the camping site, when she found out we were German.

    On schooltrips in England people yelled "Fliegeralarm" or "Sieg heil" at us. Those were the same idiots who wore Wehrmacht helmets to the World Cup.

    When I lived in the US, the first thing many people asked me about was Hitler. (Of course, those were the same kind of Americans who explained to me what a fridge or a car was.)

    At the World Cup, American football fans sang songs about how everyone who comes to Germany, gets gassed. In fucking 2006.

    Everywhere I go these things happen to me. I grew up being the villain. But with our particular history, I was raised to humbly accept it. My mother always told us: Don't ever fight it, smile politely, apologize, even if you didn't do anything wrong. We're Germans, and we will be paying back forever, it's part of our heritage. It's hurtful and sometimes hard to bear, but I stick to it.

    This is my rant and it's that's the reason I'd never ever make generalizations about other cultures. I just know better and I'm grateful that I do.
    Chilly, I am embarassed & sorry that you have been treated this way by people that share the same nationality as me.
    My background is that my maternal grandfather (Polish/Czech) had to leave his home, arrived in the UK as a stateless refuge, having worked against the Nazis. Once war was declared he was promptly put in a camp. My Oma was lucky & had diplomatic immunity for some of the war (she was german by nationality, austrian by upbringing). My Mum & Aunt don't speak Polish or Czech, my aunt learnt german in school, my mum french, their parents always had to speak english due to the prejudice of their neighbours. We don't know of a lot of our family due to what happened, but this is not your fault, nor could I blame the current german population.
    Growing up in the UK has been hard for me, the foods we ate, the family traditions we had, the fact I called my Granny Oma instead of nana, the way I didn't look like anyone else, all contributed to the bullying & the feeling of total isolation. I've felt a long time like an outsider in my own country.
    At 21, I travelled to California, & lived within the Naval community for a couple of years. I have never met so many people that were accepting & friendly & these 2 years probably saved me. I was accepted as I was, for whom I was & that is my lasting impression of Americans & this is the standard I "tar" them all with. For the first time in my life I felt "at home".
    As for the Europeans, we don't fit there either. Although my family was jewish, we're not jews. We're not wholely German/Czech/Austrian, my sister who now lives in France, her kids are probably the most accepted.
    I was recently shocked to hear a woman going on about the most recent set of immigrants from the Eastern Block "Yes, but the others intergrated themselves" I felt like shouting at her NO THEY FUCKING DIDN'T & WE'RE STILL PAYING FOR IT YOU OLD RACIST HAG!!!! But I was in a doctor's surgery, but I did disagree with her, quite volubly!

    I just wanted to share my experiences. I am British, but not always proud of my Nationality. By birth & preference I'm a European.
    I will say that these experiences have shaped me into who I am, I understand that. My sister & I are totally different, she is the comsumate "joiner" & her camoflage techniques are wonderous! (she should be MI6!!), I on the other hand reacted the other way &, sometimes to my detriment, will go out of my way to be contrary. To me being a sheep is to fall into the trap of not thinking for oneself, not working it out. It's been a hard life, but it's been interesting too!

  14. #89
    Elite Member pinklilycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wandering with my puglet...
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Well said everyone. What amazingly thoughtful and intelligent people we have here on our humble GR!!! Give yourselves a pat on the back kids!!

    I'm sorry that there's idiots in my country and I'm upset they they behave in such a tasteless and offensive manner. I apologise on England's behalf!
    Curiouser and curiouser...

  15. #90
    Elite Member sputnik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    fellow traveller
    Posts
    56,066

    Default

    seriously, who gives a shit if someone trashes your country? i couldn ever understand why that bugs people so much. it's just someone's opinion.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Lily Allen can't afford a flat
    By TheMoog in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 4th, 2007, 06:40 AM
  2. Lily Allen at the Brit Awards (02/14/07)
    By SVZ in forum Photo Archive
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 16th, 2007, 09:11 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 24th, 2007, 05:54 AM
  4. Replies: 57
    Last Post: January 28th, 2006, 06:53 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 6th, 2006, 10:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •