Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Lily Allen: "Americans are backward"

A*O

If you want to see Brits at their best try and catch a daytime talk show called "Trish". It's chavtastic!
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

"What difference does it make if you're there or if you do it afterwards?"

Let's see......
    Scenario #1: I travel to England to promote myself. While there, I publicly make comments that the people in an entire region 3 times the size of France are backwards. Also, the people in regions X,Y, and Z are backwards, even though I haven't traveled there yet to promote myself. And for good measure, the people in this entire country of 300,000 are just so far from my wavelength, I could never understand their backward ways.

Scenario # 2: I travel throughout England extensively, some on my own, some with my British husband, encountering much negativity about America, including at a wedding no less, when it is known I'm American (please don't insult me by saying I must have been acting rude/arrogant, etc., I'm not classless or an idiot). When I return home, if the subject comes up due to more America-hating (this time by someone coming here in hopes of making a buck off us rubes), I will express my observations that England is no great shakes in many ways any more so than my home country, so the superior attitude is not appreciated.

If you can't discern a difference between these two situations, I don't know what else to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    If you want to see Brits at their best try and catch a daytime talk show called "Trish". It's chavtastic!
    hahhaa yes! Chavtastic indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    "What difference does it make if you're there or if you do it afterwards?"

Let's see......
    Scenario #1: I travel to England to promote myself. While there, I publicly make comments that the people in an entire region 3 times the size of France are backwards. Also, the people in regions X,Y, and Z are backwards, even though I haven't traveled there yet to promote myself. And for good measure, the people in this entire country of 300,000 are just so far from my wavelength, I could never understand their backward ways.

Scenario # 2: I travel throughout England extensively, some on my own, some with my British husband, encountering much negativity about America, including at a wedding no less, when it is known I'm American (please don't insult me by saying I must have been acting rude/arrogant, etc., I'm not classless or an idiot). When I return home, if the subject comes up due to more America-hating (this time by someone coming here in hopes of making a buck off us rubes), I will express my observations that England is no great shakes in many ways any more so than my home country, so the superior attitude is not appreciated.

If you can't discern a difference between these two situations, I don't know what else to tell you.

Maybe the reasons the English act like that is that they've heard too many comments like the ones you just made.

Just guessing, what do I know?

I'm German, everywhere I go people bash my country. And yet I refrain from making snide remarks about other countries, even after I got home.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Germans are cool with me, Chilly Willy. A college friend of mine was from Germany, and she was the smartest person I've ever known. She was decent and kind, too.

Did we meet in college, edie?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Do the Brits really put themselves above everyone else?
    No thats the French

Hit By Ban Bus!

love it olivia! And they would agree!

Quote Originally Posted by ediebrooks View Post
    Well, she's figured out a brilliant way to get rid of that troubling American fan base.
    Ain't it the truth?

Not that she'll ever be big news here anyway. I've never heard of the skank except through the threads here on GR.
    All of them seem to be about her saying nasty things about others.

Maybe she needs to spend a little time in the south and learn some decent manners.

Well she really didn't say what exactly backwards was. That could mean just about anything, really. Time zone. Fashion. And apparently music if she is big here now. She ought to be happy she is getting money from these "backward" people. Whatever the hell that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    She may be a cokehead but she's far from emaciated...
    Ha! You're right, I just realized I was thinking of that Amy Winehouse chick. Wrong cokehead.

She's actually a very cute girl--physically at least! Too bad her personality isn't as cute as her looks.

A*O

Manx - Why do you CARE about all this? Everyone thinks their own country is 'the best' for whatever reason. Unless you realise it's not the best at all, in which case you emigrate.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Bronze Member

Lily Allen: 'americans Are Backward'.... British pop star Lily Allen has branded her American fans "backward".
    Meaning the Austin audiences didn't fall all over her manufactured BritPop sound. It's a tough town. People expect to hear actual musicians, not media creations.

The Smile star has spoken out against the audience at the South By Southwest music festival in Austin, Texas, where she performed two shows earlier this month (Mar07) - insisting the US represents everything she hates.
    If she lip-synched, if she had canned music instead of a band, she probably got heckled. In that respect, Austin's a tough town. See comment above re: actual musicians vs. pop tarts. Authenticity counts. People who actually paid dues. She's riding daddy's coattails. Maybe she got called on it. How crude.

She says, "It's all very weird here. They're all backward in Texas ... "I can't really speak for the American population - I'm so far away from anything they are and stand for."
    Doobie-smoking, music loving, over-educated, book-reading slackers? Who don't represent all of Texas any more than that crude cunt represents all of England.

BTW, George Bush has *never* carried Travis County (Austin) in any election. Not for governor, not for president. That's why the legislature split Austin into three disctricts in 2002, lumping us with a bunch of outlying suburban republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by VadaFaith View Post
    Doobie-smoking, music loving, over-educated, book-reading slackers? Who don't represent all of Texas any more than that crude cunt represents all of England.
    Excellent. This and your whole post.

Welcome to GR!

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread Information