Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Lily Allen: "Americans are backward"

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Seriously. Why do people feel they have to resort to England bashing to defend America? And I don't get the whole "low quality of life" thing either, Rogue. It's not fucking Ethiopia
    Because as my old friend I was talking about earlier would have told you; we're all jealous bitter fatties who wish we could live in America. It's only xenophobia when it's directed against America, because really, it's the best place on earth.

Seriously, I couldn't give a crap where the best quality of life is, or whether a country is made up of geniuses or trailer trash, so long as I'm happy where I am. Does that make me ignorant? Probably.
    "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Sounded like a moo so I got rid!
    Last edited by pinklilycat; March 28th, 2007 at 02:39 PM.
    Curiouser and curiouser...

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Oh damn, Thanks for setting me straight Willy. You're right, they are the antichrist

Never forget:

Oh, and also remember: All Germans are ugly.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Ok, I knew I should have clarified. I simply meant:
    lower wages + higher cost of living = lower quality of life. I didn't mean anything specifically cultural or insulting on a personal/ethnocentric level. And I DID say there are as many fuckwits (proportionally) in the U.K. as there are in America. Not sure what to make of your "resident pond scum" statement, but I'm new around here, and was simply rebutting Lily Allen's misguided, classless remarks.
    My pond scum thing was supposed to be ironic-I'm pond scum with a great quality of life, oxymoronic etc.
    And I'm never sure about the wages vs cost of living thing; I don't get the point of disposable income beyond what you'd spend it on in every day life anyway.

Most people won't give a reasoned response when questioned, I appreciate you clarifying.

Oh and Willy- at least we don't have to get all of ours covered by bits of old tea cup
    "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."

Hit By Ban Bus!

There's no place to escape to where life is good for middle class folk - whether it's England, America or WHEREVER. Last I heard, Italians are suffering greatly with their economy. The Near East has for many years, and so on.

The NW in the U.S. is what works best for me. But the economy totally sucks here, and there is a huge meth problem (which fortunately we don't see, as most of it is contained within in certain areas of the metro area where I live). Apparently for some folks it works better to live in the U.S. (my friends, for example) but for others living over there works best. It scares me that the pound is outperforming the dollar.

One thing I'll say about the South. You can live like royalty here on less money. A house comparable to the size of my Mississippi 3BR/2BA/2 car garage (with decent sized back yard) would cost about three times as much anywhere else. Got 500 grand? You could practically have a mansion on several acres here. I know lots of people with land here who rent several acres out for cattle grazing and it pays the housenote and the bills.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Hit By Ban Bus!

Yeah, a couple of folks I know retired, sold and moved to a nice area of Arkansas where they bought 75 beautiful pastoral acres and visit SoCal anytime they want on the rest of the money. sigh.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

You gotta love The Simpsons!
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

A*O

Every country has its own underclass of poorly educated chavs/trash, even Australia! LOL I don't think this Us vs Them mentality is very mature or helpful although I will say that overall the Americans (for better or worse) tend to be a lot more patriotic and proud of their country than other nationalities. My only observation is that while Americans are happy to bash other countries for their Bad Teeth, Bad Food, etc they do tend to get a bit pissy when those same stereotypical criticisms are levelled at them (Fat, Loud, Arrogant, etc).
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Every country has its own underclass of poorly educated chavs/trash, even Australia! LOL I don't think this Us vs Them mentality is very mature or helpful although I will say that overall the Americans (for better or worse) tend to be a lot more patriotic and proud of their country than other nationalities. My only observation is that while Americans are happy to bash other countries for their Bad Teeth, Bad Food, etc they do tend to get a bit pissy when those same stereotypical criticisms are levelled at them (Fat, Loud, Arrogant, etc).
    See...I don't get this. It was this Lily character who was bashing America, not vice versa. And there is quite a lot of America-bashing, particularly from Brits. Neither I nor anyone I know would find it acceptable to travel to another country and trash the people/culture while there. So if Americans respond to this behavior, then WE are in the wrong? And yes, I wholeheartedly agree that every country has a chav/trash element...that was my whole point, though expressed in an admittedly confrontational manner.

Neither I nor anyone I know would find it acceptable to travel to another country and trash the people/culture
    Um, then who wrote this:

Getting sick and tired of the superior English attitude when they have a lower quality of life than we do here....I married a Brit, have traveled extensively in the UK, and let me tell you....the majority of that country consists of undereducated, lower class, backwards fuckwits as much as is the case in America.
    If that isn't trashing, then what is? It doesn't make a difference that you included you own country, it was a derogatory comment about another culture nevertheless.
    -Bugdoll-

A*O

Well I really can't get too bent out of shape if someone has a go at my country - particularly if it isn't true. In those instances it just proves how ignorant and/or uneducated the basher is and they make themselves look very foolish in the process.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Um, then who wrote this?

If that isn't trashing, then what is?
    Nice editing out of the part "while there" -- kind of relevant don't you think? Reread the original statement I made. And as I already mentioned, my comments were only made in rebuttal to the ones calling Americans backwards. All I said was that England is backwards to the same extent, so no need for Lily to have this superior attitude -- which I HAVE experienced a number of times from Brits. Context, and critical thinking, people.

What difference does it make if you're there or if you do it afterwards?
    -Bugdoll-

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information