Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elton John says religion should be banned

Quote Originally Posted by WickedHo View Post

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water. Keep the baby, change the water.
    Yes, he has most likely has hurt the good, at a far more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavado View Post
    ^^True, but how many ppl have already died and are currently dying because of different religious beliefs?
    How many people have died because of genocide? Millions. The Janjaweed are a perfect example of how it ain't just religious beliefs that cause the deaths of many.

And I dare say that Religion is often the excuse, as opposed to the real reason: Greed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandora View Post
    He is right. Intolerance goes against all the teachings of Christ. What does that make of organized religions then?

Yesterday, I was talking to one of my students, and he said some things seem absurd, but have a reason. Like the Roman Catholic church for example: after all the wars, and men hooking up with men while their wives were away at home, the church had to find a way of keeping family units together in order to reproduce and make the population grow. Gay rejection come from way back then. It had a reason and purpose at the time, but now it doesn't make sense anymore, so it should just be dropped. If religion was adapted to the people's needs back then, why can't it be adapted to today's reality? Preaching tolerance, love and respect should be the very first thing to be done.
    I completely agree with you.

Me, too, Pandora!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    If we got rid of religion, humans would just find a new way to be bigoted assholes.. i'm betting extreme nationalism would rise again to replace it.
    Absolutely. People tend to band together one way or another to protect common interests & their most valued genes, and this is what corrupted religion to begin with. Religion would be fine, if there were no people involved.

While I understand what Elton is getting at, it seems a bit contradictory to promote the banning of something widely practiced & valued with the aim of promoting tolerance & acceptance.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

How many people have died because of genocide? Millions. The Janjaweed are a perfect example of how it ain't just religious beliefs that cause the deaths of many.

And I dare say that Religion is often the excuse, as opposed to the real reason: Greed.
    Can you emphasize on what Janjaweed stands for WH? Okay, I see the link, sorry/

that's also true. leaders use religion to manipulate the masses of believers into supporting their cause. it's the oldest trick in the book - from the crusades ("need to take back the holy land in order to protect christianity" = actually, there aren't enough wars in europe and we need to keep the soldiers busy so they won't rape and pillage at home, so we need an excuse to pillage and burn our way down to the middle east, and get rich in the process), to present-day jihadism... bush tried it too with that 'crusade' image he used in a speech, but was forced to soften it up a bit and say he's doing it for 'freedom', which is its own brand of religion as opiate of the masses since it convinced most of america.

that said, as far as excuses are concerned, religion is a pretty damn good one since religion is the opium of the masses (and no, i'm not a rabid marxist or anything, just saying the dude had a point), ahead only of nationalism, another craptastic concept that has caused nothing but wars and destruction throughout history.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information