Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad Pitt is an idiot

^Icepik makes very good points that even I agree with.

Though I do believe that this was a vanity project for Vadgelina.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I refuse to watch Spike Lee's movies. He's a racist asshole that needs to be hung beside Paris Hilton.

It's ironic that you think Spike Lee is a racist but you don't understand the racist implications of Ms Jolie playing a black woman

I refuse to watch Spike Lee's movies. He's a racist asshole that needs to be hung beside Paris Hilton.
    Wait a minute? Spike Lee is a racist asshole and so is Paris Hilton? Really? So what makes what Brange did any better than what Spike does? If this AMH movie is ok, then Spike is great for race relations too!

From a business standpoint, I understand Marianne Pearl. Angelina has name status Marianne's career has gotten a boost since this project was greenlighted. As a businesswoman, I would have gone with the person who would get me the most attention.

Marianne used the bottom line here.

Personally I don't care who played the woman. It's the MOVIES, it's not real life.
    If a white woman playing a black woman offends anyone then I feel they have issues themselves. If black and white are supposed to be equal than what does it matter if a white woman plays a black woma? You can't have it both ways; either they are equal or not. Of course, this is just my opinion.

I wonder, did Liz Taylor catch hell for playing Cleopatra?
    It's not about having issues or about black and white being equal. Bottom line, if you are going to make a movie about a real person then it stands to reason that you get someone of the same race and ethnicity to portray that person. Otherwise, how can it be an accurate portrayal?

For example, if you were going to make a movie about John F. Kennedy, would you cast Denzel Washington in the role, or would you cast a white actor in the role? And, yeah, Liz has caught some flack for playing Cleopatra.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    It's ironic that you think Spike Lee is a racist but you don't understand the racist implications of Ms Jolie playing a black woman

Anyone remember Gimme A Break when little Joey Lawrence did the black faced thing and Nell gave him hell for basically using the word "nigger"?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^^Yeah, I remember that episode vividly.

When actors play roles they are obviously not like the person they are portraying, but this isn't the point we are making about Angie.
    Angie and Brad think they are exempt from public strutiny and this is another blantant example of this. A white person dressing up in black face and kinky wigs is commonly know to be offensive to Afro-Americans. Brad and Angie are completely insensitive to this.

From Social Studies by Vincent Williams: Blackface Black Eye | 11/8/2006

Blackface Black Eye
    So, like most kids who grew up during the early '80s, I have vivid memories of after-school specials and "a very special episode of [fill-in-the-blank]" shows. It seems weird to say this, but television really helped to build a generation's moral and ethical compass. I mean, I didn't know what "VD" was when I was 10 but, from that rerun of Good Times where it looked like J.J. caught it, I knew I didn't want it. And, for real, I'm suspicious of bike store owners to this day because I'm trying to not go out like Dudley in that very special, very frightening episode of Diff'rent Strokes: woozy off of cheap wine and swaying in a kiddie pool as a child molester takes pictures. Of all of those Very Special Episodes, one just confused me, though. Do you remember the Very Special Episode of Gimme a Break about blackface?
    I know, I know--doesn't it sound bizarre just from that sentence? I mean, besides the fact that early-'80s loud, sassy Nell Carter was just a weird choice to address the issue of racial stereotypes, it seemed like such a nonissue to me. Even as a kid, I remember looking at the screen as Carter solemnly explained to a blackfaced Joey Lawrence how the makeup was hurtful and evoked memories of a time in our history when African-Americans were routinely dehumanized, and myself thinking, Wow, is there really a huge "blackface" problem that needs to be addressed?
    Ah, the innocence of youth. I don't know what has happened in the last 10 years or so, but I think everyone has lost their damn minds. I swear, at least twice a year, there's a story about a group of white folks "havin' some fun" by either dressing up in blackface or wearing some kind of costume that otherwise mocks black people. Just in the last couple of weeks, there was a huge controversy in Hudson, Ohio, where some fans of an all-white pee-wee football league decided to put on some black wigs and black makeup when their squad played an all-black team. There are even some reports from the black team that there were racially disparaging comments to go along with the costumes. And, unless you've been living under a rock for the last week, I'm sure you've heard and seen the chaos that the fine young members of Johns Hopkins University's chapter of the Sigma Chi fraternity let loose by throwing a "Halloween in the Hood" party. After being prompted by the e-mail invite to wear the most "despicable" costume you could come up with, there were, yes, blackfaced, Afro-wearing kids whoopin' it up.
    The part that horrifies and confuses me about all these new-age blackface cases is the befuddlement that the offenders show when they're called on it. Back in Ohio, team fans defended the blackface by saying that their team is called the Blackhawks and that was just a way to show support. Apparently, dressing up like, oh, I don't know, a bird never entered their minds. Likewise, I'm in awe of the fact that, before the party, three members of Sigma Chi went to Hopkins' Black Student Union and tried to defend the event, wondering "why it was offensive." See, smart-ass 11-year-old, Vince? There are, at least, three people who could have been helped by Nell Carter's sage commentary on blackface.
    So, in the spirit of Carter and all the after-school specials, here's my public service announcement. Obviously, if you put on some blackface or wacky "ghetto" or "rapper" costume, you just don't care if it's insensitive or hurtful, and, y'know, that's cool. I'm raising a little black girl over here, and incidents like this serve as a nice reminder for the youth that, as the church folk would say, we've come a long way but got a long way to. But you need to understand that there could be some negative repercussions to your decision that outweigh the fun of wearing an Afro wig. Right now, there are lots of folks in Ohio who wish they had never put on the costumes, because now they're being accused of being racists by people across the entire United States. Likewise, I'm fairly sure that, after being suspended by the national chapter and Hopkins, with the latter talking about dissolving the campus chapter altogether, those fine young men of Sigma Chi probably wish they had gone with the Pirates of the Caribbean theme instead. If you dress up in blackface, it can bring mental pain and psychological anguish back to you . . . kinda like the mental pain and psychological anguish I feel when, in the 21st century, I hear about some stupid motherfucker wearing blackface. So, y'know, don't do it. And that's one to grow on!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

What about the Wayan's playing white girls? Did that offend me? NO.
    I don't let petty crap get to me.

Personally I don't care who played the woman. It's the MOVIES, it's not real life.
    If a white woman playing a black woman offends anyone then I feel they have issues themselves. If black and white are supposed to be equal than what does it matter if a white woman plays a black woma? You can't have it both ways; either they are equal or not. Of course, this is just my opinion.

I wonder, did Liz Taylor catch hell for playing Cleopatra?
    Yes Liz did catch hell...

However in the interest of truth.....Cleopatra was queen of Egypt, but her genetic line was Macedonian....descended from Ptolemy, a General of Alexander the Great ...

The Ptolemaic dynasty of which she was descended did not intermarry with Africans....they commited
    incest with their sisters (whom they married) to keep the pure Macedonian bloodlines.....real history is way more interesting than fiction

Quote Originally Posted by tamjo54 View Post
    When actors play roles they are obviously not like the person they are portraying, but this isn't the point we are making about Angie.
    Angie and Brad think they are exempt from public strutiny and this is another blantant example of this. A white person dressing up in black face and kinky wigs is commonly know to be offensive to Afro-Americans. Brad and Angie are completely insensitive to this.
    So is being called Afro-Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by tamjo54 View Post
    Marianne Pearl obviously wasn't offended, now was she?

And who would matter more than her???

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    Wait a minute? Spike Lee is a racist asshole and so is Paris Hilton? Really? So what makes what Brange did any better than what Spike does? If this AMH movie is ok, then Spike is great for race relations too!
    I don't see Angelina and Brad or anyone that worked on A Mighty Heart saying the racist comments that Spike Lee makes. He's straight up one of the worst racist around.

Here's some of his comments and such..http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/i...asp?indid=1990

OMG! He's done.
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread Information