Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad Pitt is an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    Just because Jolie is in a movie, doesn't mean that movie will become blockbuster. Has anything she's ever been in been financial successful? Obviously, name alone doesn't get a movie sold out
    I wasn't trying to say that automatically it will be a blockbuster I'm just thinking like a movie exec would. You will put a named star in a movie before a no name most all of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I wasn't trying to say that automatically it will be a blockbuster I'm just thinking like a movie exec would. You will put a named star in a movie before a no name most all of the time.
    Yes, I know what you're saying. My point is that Jolie is not a mega star and given her previous movies, she's not a selling name.

My point being that Jolie was not cast as Pearl in hopes of having this movie become a blockbuster. I also do not think she cares about getting another Oscar.

Well I want to see the performance before I say it sucks. I have liked most of her movies with the exception of Life or Something Like It but that was mostly because I don't do chick flicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Icepik View Post
    Mega star power? Everything she's been in is either mediocre or crap.
    Doesn't matter. They don't care if your movies make money. A lot of movie stars have had strings of failures. Most of them do. They're still considered to have star power. There are people who are in hit after hit and never considered to be a star.

If she's an actress, then she cares about an Oscar. I would probably believe her and lay off if she took herself out of Hollywood altogether and just devoted herself to her causes.

EVERYONE knows the story of Daniel and Marianne Pearl. There are some of us that viewed the horrible beheading video - anyone can find that on the net. There was no need to bring anyone famous in for the role of Pearl to bring attention to it - the story was known all around the world. A complete no name could have played the part.

^No I have my knitting too! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Doesn't matter. They don't care if your movies make money. A lot of movie stars have had strings of failures. Most of them do. They're still considered to have star power. There are people who are in hit after hit and never considered to be a star.

If she's an actress, then she cares about an Oscar. I would probably believe her and lay off if she took herself out of Hollywood altogether and just devoted herself to her causes.

They don't care if movies make money? Are you kidding? That's why movies are made. Sure all celebs have failures, but with a movie like this, it woudn't matter who played the part of Pearl because anyone knowing the movie was being made would have decided whether or not they would be interested in going to see a movie such as this. I have no problems with Jolie, or her playing this part, but I have no desire whatsoever to see it. I know what it's all about and having watched the video - which in a way traumatized me - I don't need anymore reminders of what I saw.

And she could take herself out of Hollywood, but you aren't looking at the grand scheme of things... she is devoting her life now to adopting ophans, without an income, she'll be hard pressed to do so. Everyone needs a job to support their family and causes - everyone, including you, must know that.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    She's half Quechua Huachipaeri- a South American tribe- so yes, that would make her half Native American
    Yeah, but that's not what Pocahontas was, and you know how people here are getting all technical. According to some folks here, they needed to use a Native American actress from the U.S. Preferably one from Virginia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I just love how everyone (red, yellow, black and white; gay or straight; religious or not; etc.) is supposed to be EQUAL until something like this comes along. It cannot be both ways, either we are all equal or we aren't.

I can't believe in this day and age people are still griping over stupid shit like this.
    I could not agree with you more!! People say they don't want skin color to matter, but apparently it sure as hell does. I think a lot of folks just like to talk out of both sides of their ass. Whatever suits them at the time.

Theres a great story on Huffington Post about Angie's blackface.....written by a black writer

Logan Nakyanzi Pollard: Angelina Jolie's Bleaching Out the Narrative: When White Plays Black - Entertainment on The Huffington Post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    Yeah, but that's not what Pocahontas was, and you know how people here are getting all technical. According to some folks here, they needed to use a Native American actress from the U.S. Preferably one from Virginia.
    I could not agree with you more!! People say they don't want skin color to matter, but apparently it sure as hell does. I think a lot of folks just like to talk out of both sides of their ass. Whatever suits them at the time.
    THANK YOU. Finally someone can see what's going on. It's stupid, it's taking us back to the fucking 40's when people think a white woman is not good enough to play a black woman, or vise versa. Get over it, white and black are EQUAL so what does it matter if a white woman plays a woman that's not even really black?

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Cleopatra......

I'm not sure it's true that "current popular opinion" says this--although it's an opinion some people may hold. Alas, opinion is all it is.
    To quote Mary Lefkowitz, author of Not Out of Africa: How Afrocentrism Became an Excuse to Teach Myth as History (1996), the short answer to your question is: "There is no evidence for thinking so."
    In fact, she specifically addresses this question in the book, spending almost 20 pages on it. So if you want a more detailed answer, that's the place to go. Since we have a little less space here, I'll distill down some of what she said.
    Lefkowitz begins by noting that, until recently, it never even occurred to anybody to ask this question. The information we have identifies her as a Macedonian Greek. Her ancestors were Ptolemies, descended from one of Alexander's generals. Cleopatra was a name traditionally given to women in the royal family, so, as you indicated, there were in fact previous Cleopatras. The one in question here was Cleopatra VII, daughter of Ptolemy XII and his sister (ewww). Sticking with the tradition of keeping it in the family, she married two of her own brothers in succession (the first "died in suspicious circumstances, [and] she had the second murdered," which is definitely taking sibling rivalry to extremes).
    She was able to speak Egyptian (the first in her family to do so--her parents, er, aunt and uncle, er, whatever, must've been so proud!). She also did dress in the manner of Egyptians (no info on whether she walked like an Egyptian, though). The surviving coins of the day show her as "impressive rather than beautiful, Mediterranean in appearance, with straight hair and a hooked nose." Alas, coins weren't in color, so what hue her skin had we can't say.
    Lefkowitz does note that there is a slight possibility that Cleopatra might not have been a full-blooded Macedonian Greek, because we don't know the precise identity of her father's mother. Apparently, grandma was not the wife of gramps, but his mistress (maybe he wanted to taste the forbidden fruit of somebody outside his immediate family, like a cousin). The assumption has always been that grandma was another Macedonian Greek, because the Ptolemies were a bit xenophobic, and somebody would likely have written about a foreigner being that close to gramps (examples of such writings exist when it happened with others).
    Lefkowitz notes that most writers who have raised the question at hand here haven't been ancient historians. She says the first American writer to suggest that Cleopatra had a black ancestor was J.A. Rogers, in World's Great Men of Color. Unfortunately, Rogers somewhat muddled Cleopatra's family history, claiming her father was Ptolemy XIII (nope, Ptolemy XII) and her grandfather was Ptolemy XI (nope, Ptolemy IX). Then he claimed that Ptolemy XIII (who was actually Cleopatra's brother and husband and cousin and, oh, you get the idea) showed pronounced Negro traits--although this claim doesn't seem to have any actual support.
    Some of the evidence used to support the claim of Cleopatra's alleged African roots come from, of all places, Shakespeare. In Anthony and Cleopatra, Shakespeare called her "tawny." Rogers and other supporters claim this was a 17th-century way to describe mulattoes, and since Shakespeare obviously thought of her that way, she must have been.
    Um, OK. But a close look at the passage in question shows that really isn't what Shakespeare meant here; in fact, Shakespeare would have probably called her an "Ethiope" if he meant "black." And, frankly, if the best evidence we have is a word in a Shakespeare play, well, that ain't gonna cut it in history class.
    Another amusing piece of "evidence" comes from Rogers and others pointing to Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Why? Because Ripley, "who says he has proof of all his facts, calls Cleopatra 'fat and black.'" So, Rogers doesn't have to back up his claim because he says somebody else says he has the evidence. So there!
    Other authors have followed Rogers and made similar claims, but with evidence that has been just as poor. For example, John Henrik Clarke used a modern portrait of a black Cleopatra as evidence, and also refers to the Book of Acts, claiming she described herself there as "black"--Lefkowitz and author Frank Snowden point out that this is a bit odd since Cleopatra isn't even mentioned there!
    In general, the folks making this claim seem to be jumping through lots of illogical hoops. The main line of "reasoning" seems to be that because we don't know who her grandmother was, she must have been a black and it was covered up by white Europeans. Is it possible that her grandmother was black, and that she was therefore 1/4 black? Yes. Is it likely? No. Is it supported by any evidence? No. This looks like a UFO conspiracy--there is no evidence, so people in power must be suppressing that evidence. Those who are passing this off as Truth have apparently already made up their minds, and that's that.

Yeah, I've read that book you're speaking of. And the idea that Afrocentrism led to teaching myth is always amusing considering that most of African culture and history has been usurped by European 'scholars' to create nothing but myths and lies. For example the same people that claim Cleopatra had no black blood in her are the same ones that claim that the original Egyptians weren't black even though all of the evidence points to that.

Such as:

The original Egyptians were descended from the Ethiopians and consider Ethiopia the land of their ancestors. However some European 'scholars' will still state that the Egyptians, and original Ethiopians, were white, blond and blue-eyed. Which I've had teachers tell me to my face, even thought the genealogical and historical evidence dispute it.

Egypt was originally called Kemet, which means the 'black land,' and the people called themselves the Kemites, which means the black people. Egypt was a name created by the Greeks. Although some European 'scholars' have said that they called it the 'black land' because of the mud from the Nile.

And there was a Greek historian named Herodotus, who saw the Egyptians and described them as having black skin, full lips, black wooly hair, and broad noses. However, many European 'scholars' dispute this eyewitness account because it doesn't fit with their agenda. But yet they tend to take Herodotus at his word for everything else he says that doesn't relate to Egypt.

Now the reason why I mention this is because the same people that claim that black people have an agenda when it comes to history also have their own agenda to keep a European perspective in place. You shouldn't just believe something because you read it in a book because everyone has an agenda. No matter what color. Always get your info from various sources and then try to piece together the facts that way.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Default get a pen and paper; write down our name! we all realize our aim is the same

You shouldn't just believe something because you read it in a book because everyone has an agenda. No matter what color. Always get your info from various sources and then try to piece together the facts that way.
    yeah thats true for everything and they should change the name back to Kemet; thats a cool name!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Doe View Post
    Anniston did consider playing the part according to this quote from a Vogue 2004 interview: "If it works," she says, "I would love to think that I could, but I reserve the right not to. We'll have to see when it happens. I'm just excited about nurturing it."
    Thanks for finding the actual quote. I get that as a coy way of saying that she wouldn't be doing it but I guess she might have considered it. I really don't think she would do it, though.

Yah!

Did anyone see Reno 911: Miami? Paul Rudd played a Colombian drug-lord. He had a lot of tanner on and even had an accent. I'm honestly a little insulted.

Talk about artistic license. 'S all I'm saying.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    yeah thats true for everything and they should change the name back to Kemet; thats a cool name!!
    Yeah, I like the name Kemet too. I'm working on a movie trilogy that has an Egyptian theme and the name Kemet is mentioned throughout it.

Thread Information