Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Brad Pitt is an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Thank you. It's the same thing with Blacks in America. Most of us have an admixture of European blood, a by-product of slavery, which has been diluted over the centuries, but nonetheles it's still there.
    Very true. My nose is smaller than most Caucasians. My cheekbones are as high as any Native Americans. My face is proof positive that all that diluted blood is there.

Now, AJ has thick lips, which are considered beautiful and related to her French ancestry. If that were Halle sporting those lips, other terms would be used. Angelina is fairer skinned, but her real, pre-PS features are so negroid it is insane how people could accept her as white.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    KC, don't argue about race in history. We all know Cleo was white, Jesus had blond hair, and Simon who helped Jesus carry the cross was so light skinned he glowed. Where the blonds and lighter skin disappeared to in Africa and Arabia is the real question.
    Exactly. Isn't it funny how some people so readily accept that black people, or other people's of color, had no significant role in history, even in places we dominated like Africa and the Middle East?

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    Very true. My nose is smaller than most Caucasians. My cheekbones are as high as any Native Americans. My face is proof positive that all that diluted blood is there.

Now, AJ has thick lips, which are considered beautiful and related to her French ancestry. If that were Halle sporting those lips, other terms would be used. Angelina is fairer skinned, but her real, pre-PS features are so negroid it is insane how people could accept her as white.
    Agreed. My grandmother was Native American and I've inherited the cheekbones too. Genetics are crazy like that.

And you're right about Angelina. If this were a different time people would be calling her a Mulatto and accusing her of trying to pass.

Ok, a few facts.

Brad Pitt comes accross as a complete moron.
    Angelina Jolie can pull off birracial better than, say, Gwyneth Paltrow but she's not birracial.
    Jennifer Aniston was never slated to play Marianne. She would produce the film and possibly hold a supporting role.
    BLACKFACE IS OFFENSIVE and if anyone other than Hollywood's resident saint had donned it they would get crucified.

My opinion, Jolie should either play Marianne without the black face or stepped back and let a birracial woman play the part. It's as simple as that. I have found Jolie to suck ass actingwise in pretty much everything she's been in with the exception of Gia so I won't be watching the movie, thank you very much.

The fact that Marianne Pearl herself okayed AJ playing her doesn’t mean jackshit to me. It is still pathetic to have an actor in blackface in 2007. I'm guessing Marianne went for AJ because it was the more controversial choice and would draw the crowds. Dunno whether this has worked. It's not Marianne's job to push for racial equality and to recognise how profoundly upsetting blackface is.

I hate AJ but if it had been ANY other actor acting in blackface I would be equally disgusted.

Cleopatra......

I'm not sure it's true that "current popular opinion" says this--although it's an opinion some people may hold. Alas, opinion is all it is.
    To quote Mary Lefkowitz, author of Not Out of Africa: How Afrocentrism Became an Excuse to Teach Myth as History (1996), the short answer to your question is: "There is no evidence for thinking so."
    In fact, she specifically addresses this question in the book, spending almost 20 pages on it. So if you want a more detailed answer, that's the place to go. Since we have a little less space here, I'll distill down some of what she said.
    Lefkowitz begins by noting that, until recently, it never even occurred to anybody to ask this question. The information we have identifies her as a Macedonian Greek. Her ancestors were Ptolemies, descended from one of Alexander's generals. Cleopatra was a name traditionally given to women in the royal family, so, as you indicated, there were in fact previous Cleopatras. The one in question here was Cleopatra VII, daughter of Ptolemy XII and his sister (ewww). Sticking with the tradition of keeping it in the family, she married two of her own brothers in succession (the first "died in suspicious circumstances, [and] she had the second murdered," which is definitely taking sibling rivalry to extremes).
    She was able to speak Egyptian (the first in her family to do so--her parents, er, aunt and uncle, er, whatever, must've been so proud!). She also did dress in the manner of Egyptians (no info on whether she walked like an Egyptian, though). The surviving coins of the day show her as "impressive rather than beautiful, Mediterranean in appearance, with straight hair and a hooked nose." Alas, coins weren't in color, so what hue her skin had we can't say.
    Lefkowitz does note that there is a slight possibility that Cleopatra might not have been a full-blooded Macedonian Greek, because we don't know the precise identity of her father's mother. Apparently, grandma was not the wife of gramps, but his mistress (maybe he wanted to taste the forbidden fruit of somebody outside his immediate family, like a cousin). The assumption has always been that grandma was another Macedonian Greek, because the Ptolemies were a bit xenophobic, and somebody would likely have written about a foreigner being that close to gramps (examples of such writings exist when it happened with others).
    Lefkowitz notes that most writers who have raised the question at hand here haven't been ancient historians. She says the first American writer to suggest that Cleopatra had a black ancestor was J.A. Rogers, in World's Great Men of Color. Unfortunately, Rogers somewhat muddled Cleopatra's family history, claiming her father was Ptolemy XIII (nope, Ptolemy XII) and her grandfather was Ptolemy XI (nope, Ptolemy IX). Then he claimed that Ptolemy XIII (who was actually Cleopatra's brother and husband and cousin and, oh, you get the idea) showed pronounced Negro traits--although this claim doesn't seem to have any actual support.
    Some of the evidence used to support the claim of Cleopatra's alleged African roots come from, of all places, Shakespeare. In Anthony and Cleopatra, Shakespeare called her "tawny." Rogers and other supporters claim this was a 17th-century way to describe mulattoes, and since Shakespeare obviously thought of her that way, she must have been.
    Um, OK. But a close look at the passage in question shows that really isn't what Shakespeare meant here; in fact, Shakespeare would have probably called her an "Ethiope" if he meant "black." And, frankly, if the best evidence we have is a word in a Shakespeare play, well, that ain't gonna cut it in history class.
    Another amusing piece of "evidence" comes from Rogers and others pointing to Ripley's Believe It Or Not. Why? Because Ripley, "who says he has proof of all his facts, calls Cleopatra 'fat and black.'" So, Rogers doesn't have to back up his claim because he says somebody else says he has the evidence. So there!
    Other authors have followed Rogers and made similar claims, but with evidence that has been just as poor. For example, John Henrik Clarke used a modern portrait of a black Cleopatra as evidence, and also refers to the Book of Acts, claiming she described herself there as "black"--Lefkowitz and author Frank Snowden point out that this is a bit odd since Cleopatra isn't even mentioned there!
    In general, the folks making this claim seem to be jumping through lots of illogical hoops. The main line of "reasoning" seems to be that because we don't know who her grandmother was, she must have been a black and it was covered up by white Europeans. Is it possible that her grandmother was black, and that she was therefore 1/4 black? Yes. Is it likely? No. Is it supported by any evidence? No. This looks like a UFO conspiracy--there is no evidence, so people in power must be suppressing that evidence. Those who are passing this off as Truth have apparently already made up their minds, and that's that.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetness View Post
    HAHAHAHA!!!! Thank you!!

What on earth is this from (the pic, not the dude)?
    It was taken by the fine photographer Mark Seglier. He rocks! He also did those funny ones of Pitt in dresses.

Here's another from the same RS spread.

^^^ You find the craziest pictures - thanks for the laugh!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Ok, a few facts.
    Jennifer Aniston was never slated to play Marianne. She would produce the film and possibly hold a supporting role.
    Anniston did consider playing the part according to this quote from a Vogue 2004 interview:

Aniston and Pitt, along with Brad Grey, have formed a production company, Plan B, and they hope to make a film together about Daniel Pearl, the Wall Street Journal reporter who was murdered in Pakistan. Pearl's wife, Mariane, initially refused to sell the rights to her book, A Mighty Heart: The Brave Life and Death of My Husband Danny Pearl, but changed her mind after meeting with the couple. "She is one of the most inspiring and courageous women I've met in a long time," says Aniston. "And if the film is something that seems worthy of the story that she told, if it's done in the right way, then it will be made. That was sort of the deal that we all set with one another, as well as with her, because it's such delicate subject matter."
    Aniston, who says she would love to play a purely dramatic role someday ("I can see it"), is tentative when I ask her about playing Mariane Pearl. "If it works," she says, "I would love to think that I could, but I reserve the right not to. We'll have to see when it happens. I'm just excited about nurturing it."

"When can we all just be freaking Americans? I am so not from Africa. I have never been to Africa. I have just as much native and Euro blood in my veins. This term is ridiculous. We do not call whites Manifest Destiny Americans. Do we refer to Native Americans as Robbed Americans?

I have met Africans and trust me, they did not consider me one of them. I am the epitome of American." - RevellingInSane

You know I was just thinking how confusing it would be if say, a white African person moved to the United States. Would they then be considered an African American? It really is a misnomer.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Bronze Member

In the pic the skin tone isn't that much of a difference so I can see how Ang would get the part. I am not an Ang lover or anything, but like others have said she does look the part in make-up.
    LOL I had no idea she was a black woman until I read this! lol Maybe I should read more eh!!!!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") I'm just helping MissKat help bunny take over the world!

oops double post

Quote Originally Posted by WitchHazelEyed View Post
    "When can we all just be freaking Americans? I am so not from Africa. I have never been to Africa. I have just as much native and Euro blood in my veins. This term is ridiculous. We do not call whites Manifest Destiny Americans. Do we refer to Native Americans as Robbed Americans?

I have met Africans and trust me, they did not consider me one of them. I am the epitome of American." - RevellingInSane

You know I was just thinking how confusing it would be if say, a white African person moved to the United States. Would they then be considered an African American? It really is a misnomer.

Witch- (love the name btw) and Revelling

You are correct

No matter where us Hyphen-Americans go in the rest of the world we are Americans...

No one besides us ever sees us as the Hypen-American we say we are

My grandfather who was the child of immigrants would only call himself an American....it meant a lot to him to be able to say that

For all those that suggested that "Marianne Pearl is Ok with it, then so am I"

A) My guess is that Marianne did NOT hand-pick the star of the movie and when she sold her rights to the Pitt-Anistons, she more or less lost creative control. Now that isn't to say that they didn't consult her or inform her ahead of time, BUT if Angelina had her little heart set on playing the part, my guess is they weren't going to not do it because of what Marianne had to say.
    B) I don't necessarily think Marianne is intending to profit from her personal tragedy. However, I think she is smart enough to know that having someone as high-profile as Angelina Jolie playing you in a movie is a smarter decision than having someone who may be more physically accurate. In other words, racial outrage may take a backseat when there could be much more money involved. Not saying she's a horrible person, just saying she does have to support herself and her child.
    C) Even if Marianne Pearl, is completely fine with it and for all the right reasons, that still does not make her opinion on this particular situation (as well as the subject of blackface in general) more important than anyone else's. I think everyone here has a right to our opinions and to try to invalidate those opinions because the movie isn't about us, isn't right.
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Maybe when Thandie Newton starts f*cking Brad Pitt then she can star in his movies.
    Hehe. She did. Back during the Interview With a Vampire days.

How about watching the movie before you rip apart the performance. You don't like it then hey that's great. There have been a lot of positive reviews and quite honestly the only reason I will be seeing this movie is because Angelina is in it. If it had been another actress that I didn't know about and like I probably would have passed it over. I'll be the first to admit if the movie sucks once I have actually watched it.

Thread Information